|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George learn about the woman in #3?
(a) She refuses his proposal.
(b) She does not want to return to him.
(c) She wants to marry him.
(d) She is very ill.
2. What hobby does Mary's husband share with the husband of the woman in #25?
(b) Stamp collecting.
3. Which one of the men approaches the woman on the last day of their rooftop job?
4. Who do Hamish and Mary meet during dinner one night?
(a) Dr. Hensel.
(b) Dr. Wellbaum.
(c) Dr. Schroder.
(d) Dr. Schmidt.
5. Why does Mr. Brooks in "The Witness" continue to work past retirement age?
(a) He is an expert at what he does.
(b) He is the owner of the company.
(c) He is training someone to take over.
(d) He needs the money.
6. Where does Rose work?
(a) A bakery.
(b) A flower shop.
(c) A butcher shop.
(d) A beauty salon.
7. The author says that she is always ____________________.
(a) writing a novel in her head.
(b) wishing she were somewhere else.
(c) searching for her next great love.
(d) running late.
8. What is Mary's favorite holiday?
(a) New Year's Day.
(c) Valentine's Day.
9. What is Mary's last name?
10. What job does Rose take during the war?
(a) A munitions factory.
(b) A news office.
(c) A hospital.
(d) The Red Cross.
11. Where do Jerry and his mother go for a holiday?
(a) The beach.
(b) The mountains.
(c) A ski resort.
(d) A city.
12. Why does Jimmie not let Rose to move in with him?
(a) He is married.
(b) He lives with his parents.
(c) His apartment is too small.
(d) He fears commitment.
13. Why does the woman in #6 refuse George's proposal?
(a) She needs time to think about it.
(b) She is marrying someone else.
(c) She no longer loves him.
(d) She has remarried.
14. How does Rose's father die?
(a) A heart attack.
(c) A bombing during the war.
15. What does the man in #73 do at the end of the story?
(a) Returns to his wife.
(b) Kills himself.
(c) Divorces his wife.
(d) Separates from his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the man and woman talk about in "Wine"?
2. Who is the young woman that Mary meets while on vacation?
3. In "The Woman" Herr Scholtz says that a woman had an affair with him ___________________.
4. What do the couple in "Wine" order while at the table?
5. What is the state of mind of the person in #47?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)