|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for "The Chimera"?
2. What is the name of the story about inheritance?
3. Who does the man in "The Chimera" blame for his boring life?
4. Why does Charlie decide to go home?
5. How often do Peaches and Gee Gee move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Donna Carla think of all of the rumors around her?
2. Why does the man in The Chimera have sour feelings about his wife?
3. Even though Charlie was the one that first ran away, why does Marcie want a divorce?
4. How does the Assunta respond to the old woman in "Montraldo"?
5. Although the mother in the "The Angel and the Bridge" is spry and lively, what faults does she have?
6. How does the husband in "The Chimera" feel after Olga leaves?
7. How does usually behave Gee Gee when he drinks?
8. How does the man's wife in "The Chimera" react to Olga?
9. How does Mr. Seton act ashamed of his profession?
10. Why does Charlie run away from Marcie and his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Clancy in the Tower of Babel," why does Jim judge the tenants, even though he is just a lowly elevator operator? How does it blow up in his face?
Essay Topic 2
Define enigma and give an example of a character from Cheever's stories who embodies this literary term.
Essay Topic 3
How does Mr. Lawton come to the realization that he is hurting his daughter, and how did she have to suffer before her father learned that lesson?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)