|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does James Clancy get a job?
2. What item does Jim come home with one day?
3. What are Amy's parents like?
4. Where did the Whitemores meet?
5. What is the name of Mr. Rowantree's friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Blake fire his secretary in "The Five Forty-Eight?"
2. What baffles Clancy when he ends up in the hospital?
3. Why does Amy try to run away?
4. Why don't the other Pomeroy children like Lawrence?
5. What is Cash's wife's life like?
6. What becomes evident about Lawrence at Laud's Head?
7. Describe Cash's and Louise's marriage.
8. How is Clarissa described in "The Chaste Clarissa?"
9. How do Ralph and Laura Whittemore feel about money?
10. What is the background of the relationship between Ralph and Laura Whittemore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Enormous Radio," Jim explodes at Irene for her obsession with eavesdropping. Why does Jim think he is better than his wife Irene?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Louise's feelings before and after the accident with Cash. How does Cash's tyranny motivate those feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Evarts and Alice Malloys' reasons for traveling from their home in Indiana to Manhatten. What is the driving force for Evarts? How does it differ from Alice's?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)