|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Olga pass time when Pustovalov is away on business?
2. What is Belikov and Kovalenko's relationship like?
3. Whom does Grigory Petrovich generally have a softness for?
4. What epiphany does Lyzhin realize while at von Taunitz's?
5. In "The House with the Mezzanine", the artist's lifestyle can be described as __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ivan Ivanych, what is the balance of sadness and happiness in the world?
2. From "The Darling", describe Olga's personality type.
3. How does Katya show how she feels about Pyotr's status as a bishop?
4. What is life like for Pyotr?
5. In "On Official Business", why does the coroner believe the city is the center of Russia? What does he think of the village and countryside?
6. Compare and contrast Olga's husbands and lovers. How are their personality types alike and different? How does this affect Olga as a person?
7. In "The Lady with the Little Dog", why does Dmitri Gurov see Anna Sergeeva differently than all the other women in his life? What makes her so much more appealing?
8. Describe the town of Ukleyevo from "In the Ravine". What is life like there?
9. Dr. Starchenko from "On Official Business" mentions old folks disliking this "nervous age." What might this "nervous age" refer to?
10. How are the homes of Lida and the artist, from "The House with the Mezzanine", symbolic of their respective personalities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What form of mentality does the Explainer in "In Exile" take in order to help him survive a life in Siberia? What psyche does he have to maintain sanity in a bare, cold place such as Siberia?
Essay Topic 2
From "The Death of a Clerk", discuss how Cherviakov's and the General's reactions to one another heightens the matter between the two of them. How does their personality add to the situation?
Essay Topic 3
From "A Boring Story", describe Katya and Stepanych's relationship. Beyond a father and daughter, how do their struggles bond them? What is their struggle?
This section contains 1,682 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)