|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bishop Pyotr die of?
2. To what does Korolev equate the factory?
3. In "At Christmastime", whom does Vasilisa ask to help her write a letter to her daughter?
4. Why does Vasilisa have trouble writing a letter to her daughter?
5. What does Lyzhin do for the beadle when he sees him at von Taunitz's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Belikov from "The Man in a Case" and what makes him so different from everyone else in his village. What influence does he have on the people around him?
2. Why does Alekhin and Burkin not enjoy Ivan Ivanych's story about gooseberries?
3. Compare and contrast Olga's husbands and lovers. How are their personality types alike and different? How does this affect Olga as a person?
4. In "The Lady with the Little Dog", why does Dmitri Gurov see Anna Sergeeva differently than all the other women in his life? What makes her so much more appealing?
5. Describe the town of Ukleyevo from "In the Ravine". What is life like there?
6. Dr. Starchenko from "On Official Business" mentions old folks disliking this "nervous age." What might this "nervous age" refer to?
7. In "On Official Business", what is the difference between the coroner and the doctor in the way they view life?
8. What is life like for Pyotr?
9. What is going through Anisim's head as he is getting married? What might this foreshadow in his life?
10. In "On Official Business", the coroner has a dream about the beadle and the Zemstvo walking side by side. Write a brief interpretation of this dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The only thing Varka in "Sleepy" wants is sleep. Eventually she gets it by killing the baby that cries. Anton Chekhov writes, "and a moment later [Varka] is already fast asleep, like the dead..." Why does Chekhov write an ellipsis at the end of Varka's story? What is the reader led to believe?
Essay Topic 2
Compare how the soldiers and the sailor on the boat in "Gusev" handle a long boat ride back home to Russia. How do they each deal with long days without enough food and water, entertainment, and occupation? What does each resort do in order to try to keep their sanity?
Essay Topic 3
How does Nikolai Stepanych in "A Boring Story" handle aging? How does he change? How does he react to changes due to aging?
This section contains 1,643 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)