|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Olga and Pustovalov's marriage last before he dies of illness?
2. How does the coroner end up at von Taunitz's?
3. Whom does Grigory Petrovich generally have a softness for?
4. What do Olga and Kukin believe the public prefers?
5. What brings Anna back home to her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alekhin and Burkin not enjoy Ivan Ivanych's story about gooseberries?
2. In "The Bishop", what is Bishops Pyotr's relationship with his mother Marya like when she visits him after nine years?
3. Describe what life is like in the countryside where there is a factory?
4. What is life like for Pyotr?
5. According to Ivan Ivanych, what is the balance of sadness and happiness in the world?
6. In "The Lady with the Little Dog", why does Dmitri Gurov see Anna Sergeeva differently than all the other women in his life? What makes her so much more appealing?
7. Describe the town of Ukleyevo from "In the Ravine". What is life like there?
8. Compare and contrast Olga's husbands and lovers. How are their personality types alike and different? How does this affect Olga as a person?
9. How does Olga become committed to Sasha?
10. What is the root cause of Liza's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What form of mentality does the Explainer in "In Exile" take in order to help him survive a life in Siberia? What psyche does he have to maintain sanity in a bare, cold place such as Siberia?
Essay Topic 2
From "A Boring Story", Stepanych begins to realize that he is aging and changing, but he holds hope. What is Stepanych in hopes of and why?
Essay Topic 3
From "A Boring Story", write an essay about male/male and female/female relationships. Base answers on Stepanych and Mr. Gnekker's relationship for male/male and Varya and Liza's relationship with Katya for female/female. Why is it difficult for Stepanych to like Mr. Gnekker and why is it difficult for Liza and Varya to like Katya and vice versa?
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)