|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is constantly on Nikolai Stepanych's mind?
2. To whom does Stepanych compare himself during his youthful days of lecturing?
3. What feeling overtakes Kovrin to the point that it worries him?
4. What does Kovrin seem to hate the most?
5. What do Nevyrazimov and Paramon hear through the vents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grigoriev react to his punishment?
2. What is Katya's response to Nikolai when he writes a letter not to condemn the actors but the art of acting? What does this show about her character?
3. How does real life affect Varka's sleep at night?
4. What consumes Bronze so much in life over the last 50 years in "Rothschild's Fiddle"?
5. What causes Father Grigory to be so angry with Andreich?
6. Why doesn't Grigoriev believe the magistrate when he says taking nuts will derail the train?
7. Compare and contrast Mashenka and Matvei's reaction to Vasya's letter that he is returning home.
8. What will happen to Vanka at the end of his story?
9. Describe Yegor and Pelageya's relationship. How do they interact? How do they feel about one another?
10. Why does the black monk make Andrei Kovrin feel good?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does familiarity help those in grieving moments? For example, the woman who might have reminded Ieronym of Nikolai (Easter Night), Vanka (Vanka) writing to his grandfather, or Varka (Sleepy Night) dreaming of her late parents. Why is familiarity consoling? Feel free to use other examples as well.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Andrei Yefimych (Ward No. 6) speaks about the difference between man and other animals. How does this character differ from Chekhov's character the Explainer in "In Exile". Imagine a dialogue between the two persons and how they are likely to interact. Why would each of them come to such polar conclusions about life?
Essay Topic 3
From "A Boring Story", write an essay about male/male and female/female relationships. Base answers on Stepanych and Mr. Gnekker's relationship for male/male and Varya and Liza's relationship with Katya for female/female. Why is it difficult for Stepanych to like Mr. Gnekker and why is it difficult for Liza and Varya to like Katya and vice versa?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)