|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nikolai do for Ieronym when he was alive?
2. What does the black monk tell Kovrin about his presence?
3. To whom is Nevyrazimov writing a letter?
4. What is Grigoriev's punishment?
5. Why is Varka happy to fetch the firewood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What consumes Bronze so much in life over the last 50 years in "Rothschild's Fiddle"?
2. What changes are observed in Nikolai Stepanych's lectures from the past to the present?
3. How does Grigoriev react to his punishment?
4. Describe Anya's character and how it changes from the beginning of "Anna on the Neck" to the end.
5. Why does the black monk make Andrei Kovrin feel good?
6. Why doesn't Grigoriev believe the magistrate when he says taking nuts will derail the train?
7. Describe Maria's upbringing under Andreich. What is Andreich's role in her life?
8. Describe Yegor and Pelageya's relationship. How do they interact? How do they feel about one another?
9. What stops Nevyrazimov from moving up in the world?
10. What will happen to Vanka at the end of his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The only thing Varka in "Sleepy" wants is sleep. Eventually she gets it by killing the baby that cries. Anton Chekhov writes, "and a moment later [Varka] is already fast asleep, like the dead..." Why does Chekhov write an ellipsis at the end of Varka's story? What is the reader led to believe?
Essay Topic 2
In "The House with the Mezzanine", Lida is called "remarkable" by her mother and sister. Write and essay of what it means to be "remarkable"? What does it take to be "remarkable"? By whose standards is someone "remarkable"? How "remarkable" is Lida? Do her mother and sister really value Lida as a "remarkable" person?
Essay Topic 3
In "Panikhida", Andreich subconsciously calls his daughter "harlot" during prayer even though he is just reprimanded by the priest. Find at least two other examples of how the subconscious reveals itself. Describe the two instances and explain how the subconscious works in each of the situations.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)