|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling overtakes Kovrin to the point that it worries him?
2. What is Stepan studying?
3. In "In Exile", what does the Explainer advise the Tartar?
4. What happens to Vassily Sergeich's family?
5. What makes Nevyrazimov feel better?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Gusev drifts in and out of sleep, what thoughts interchange in his dreams?
2. What makes akathists so difficult?
3. What consumes Bronze so much in life over the last 50 years in "Rothschild's Fiddle"?
4. What stops Nevyrazimov from moving up in the world?
5. Describe how Olga Ivanovna and her friends treat Osip. How does this turn on Olga?
6. Describe Yegor and Pelageya's relationship. How do they interact? How do they feel about one another?
7. How does Ieronym invite the narrator of "Easter Night" to ask about Ieronym's sorrows? How does he hint at his current sorrow?
8. Describe Maria's upbringing under Andreich. What is Andreich's role in her life?
9. Describe Anya's character and how it changes from the beginning of "Anna on the Neck" to the end.
10. Compare Nikolai Stepanych's (A Boring Story) public name to the real person.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Nikolai Stepanych in "A Boring Story" handle aging? How does he change? How does he react to changes due to aging?
Essay Topic 2
From "Small Fry", explain why Nevyrazimov momentarily feels better when he crushes something smaller than himself. How does this alleviate the pains of his life?
Essay Topic 3
From "A Boring Story", describe Katya and Stepanych's relationship. Beyond a father and daughter, how do their struggles bond them? What is their struggle?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)