|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What oppressive feeling does Korolev feel as he walks around the factory buildings?
(a) Liza's mother depending on him.
(b) The devil is watching.
(c) The factory will fail and the family will fall with it.
(d) Christina is the most educated in all of the house despite her ignorance.
2. What do Olga and Kukin believe the public prefers?
(c) Cultural classics.
3. What happens to Grigory in old age?
(a) He forgets to eat and is forgotten.
(b) He moves to Siberia to be closer to Anisim.
(c) He becomes burdened with guilt and stops cheating his customers.
(d) He remains the man of the house and gives orders from bed.
4. In "The Darling", why does Kukin hate the rain so much?
(a) It ruins his business.
(b) It stops him from being able to go for his daily walks.
(c) He is unable to go hunting.
(d) The grey clouds make him feel sad.
5. How long has it been since Bishop Pyotr last saw his mother?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Nine years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Varvara Nikolaevna different from all the others in Grigory's home?
2. What brings Anna back home to her husband?
3. What does Starchenko assume about the Zemstvo?
4. What do Lyzhin and Starchenko wish for as they stand next to the dead body?
5. Of the following, which is NOT an attribute Korolev thinks about in regards to factories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the homes of Lida and the artist, from "The House with the Mezzanine", symbolic of their respective personalities?
2. What is the root cause of Liza's illness?
3. Compare and contrast Olga's husbands and lovers. How are their personality types alike and different? How does this affect Olga as a person?
4. What helps Olga keep her youth and what ages her so much?
5. In "The Bishop", what is Bishops Pyotr's relationship with his mother Marya like when she visits him after nine years?
6. Dr. Starchenko from "On Official Business" mentions old folks disliking this "nervous age." What might this "nervous age" refer to?
7. According to Ivan Ivanych, what is the balance of sadness and happiness in the world?
8. How does Korolev show judgment on the Lialikovs?
9. In "On Official Business", what is the difference between the coroner and the doctor in the way they view life?
10. How does Olga become committed to Sasha?
This section contains 1,718 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)