|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Grigory in old age?
(a) He becomes burdened with guilt and stops cheating his customers.
(b) He moves to Siberia to be closer to Anisim.
(c) He remains the man of the house and gives orders from bed.
(d) He forgets to eat and is forgotten.
2. Who is the only person who can behave comfortably around Bishop Pyotr?
(a) No one.
3. What does Anisim say that astonishes Varvara, his mother?
(a) That she will go to hell.
(b) That he is in love with Aksinya.
(c) That he does not believe in God.
(d) That he does not want to marry.
4. Whom does the factory benefit the most?
(b) The factory workers.
(d) Christina Dmitrievna.
5. How are Ivan Ivanych and his brother Nikolai different?
(a) Ivan values spirituality more than Nikolai.
(b) Ivan is frugal while Nikolai likes to spend his money.
(c) Nikolai loves the town while Ivan prefers the country.
(d) Ivan is a townsman while Nikolai is a country man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Lipa last seen?
2. Why do Ivan Ivanych and Burkin call on Alekhin in "Gooseberries"?
3. Where does Dmitri Gurov look to meet Anna in S.?
4. What arrangement do Gurov and Anna make to continue seeing each other?
5. Why haven't Vasilisa and her husband received any word from Yefimya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Tsybukins' reaction to Nikifor's death?
2. How does Korolev show judgment on the Lialikovs?
3. In "The Lady with the Little Dog", why does Dmitri Gurov see Anna Sergeeva differently than all the other women in his life? What makes her so much more appealing?
4. What does Korolev theorize is the cause of imbalance between the strong and the weak?
5. How is Pyotr different as a person and as a bishop?
6. Describe the town of Ukleyevo from "In the Ravine". What is life like there?
7. Dr. Starchenko from "On Official Business" mentions old folks disliking this "nervous age." What might this "nervous age" refer to?
8. What is going through Anisim's head as he is getting married? What might this foreshadow in his life?
9. In "On Official Business", why does the coroner believe the city is the center of Russia? What does he think of the village and countryside?
10. How does Katya show how she feels about Pyotr's status as a bishop?
This section contains 1,522 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)