|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Marya bring with her to visit Bishop Pyotr?
(a) Her granddaughter Katya.
(b) Her grandson Sisoy.
(c) His nephew Sisoy.
(d) His little sister Katya.
2. When does Korolev believe social change will occur?
(a) Not for another hundred years.
(b) Later in his lifetime.
(c) He is skeptical things will ever change in Russia.
(d) In the next generations.
3. What do Yegor and Vasilisa's son-in-law have in common?
(a) They are both doorkeepers.
(b) They are both revolutionists.
(c) They were both soldiers.
(d) They came from Petersburg.
4. How are Ivan Ivanych and his brother Nikolai different?
(a) Ivan values spirituality more than Nikolai.
(b) Ivan is a townsman while Nikolai is a country man.
(c) Ivan is frugal while Nikolai likes to spend his money.
(d) Nikolai loves the town while Ivan prefers the country.
5. How soon does Olga remarry when Kukin dies?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. In regard to marriage, what is the village custom?
2. What is Yefimya's relationship with her husband like?
3. In "On Official Business", where is the scene of death?
4. What is so different about Anna from the other women Gurov usually meets?
5. Why do Ivan Ivanych and Burkin call on Alekhin in "Gooseberries"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Tsybukins' reaction to Nikifor's death?
2. Compare and contrast Olga's husbands and lovers. How are their personality types alike and different? How does this affect Olga as a person?
3. How does Olga become committed to Sasha?
4. What is the root cause of Liza's illness?
5. In "On Official Business", the coroner has a dream about the beadle and the Zemstvo walking side by side. Write a brief interpretation of this dream.
6. In "On Official Business", why does the coroner believe the city is the center of Russia? What does he think of the village and countryside?
7. In "The Lady with the Little Dog", why does Dmitri Gurov see Anna Sergeeva differently than all the other women in his life? What makes her so much more appealing?
8. In "The Bishop", what is Bishops Pyotr's relationship with his mother Marya like when she visits him after nine years?
9. In "At Christmastime", Vasilisa writes a letter to her daughter after four years of not seeing her. Why does Vasilisa take such care in her choice of words?
10. According to Ivan Ivanych, what is the balance of sadness and happiness in the world?
This section contains 1,642 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)