|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Katya's reaction to Pyotr's title as bishop?
(a) She mocks him.
(b) She becomes afraid.
(c) She is unaware of its importance.
(d) She reveres him.
2. What arrangement do Gurov and Anna make to continue seeing each other?
(a) He is to "tutor" her in French.
(b) She will see him in Moscow.
(c) He is to come every other month by the pier.
(d) They are to meet in Yalta every Sunday.
3. Who helps Olga pass time when Pustovalov is away on business?
(a) Her gardener.
(b) Her cook.
(c) The man who rents the wing.
(d) The old woman who set her up with Pustovalov.
4. What is so different about Anna from the other women Gurov usually meets?
(a) Anna is young and inexperienced.
(b) Anna is older than usual.
(c) Anna is plainer looking.
(d) Anna is from the countryside.
5. Why does Vladimir leave Olga?
(a) He is fired from work and must find another post.
(b) His regiment leaves town.
(c) She is too overbearing and suffocating.
(d) He finds another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Lady with the Little Dog", how does Gurov treat women?
2. Where do Dmitri Gurov and the lady with the dog first meet?
3. Whose idea is it to give Grigory's land to Nikifor in a will?
4. What feeling does Bishop Pyotr instill in people?
5. Why does Zhenya discontinue seeing the artist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the town of Ukleyevo from "In the Ravine". What is life like there?
2. How is Pyotr different as a person and as a bishop?
3. Describe Belikov from "The Man in a Case" and what makes him so different from everyone else in his village. What influence does he have on the people around him?
4. In "The Bishop", what is Bishops Pyotr's relationship with his mother Marya like when she visits him after nine years?
5. Why does Alekhin and Burkin not enjoy Ivan Ivanych's story about gooseberries?
6. In "At Christmastime", what kind of family life does Vasilisa's daughter have in Petersburg? How does this affect her relationship with her parents?
7. According to Ivan Ivanych, what is the balance of sadness and happiness in the world?
8. From "The Darling", describe Olga's personality type.
9. Describe what life is like in the countryside where there is a factory?
10. In "On Official Business", the coroner has a dream about the beadle and the Zemstvo walking side by side. Write a brief interpretation of this dream.
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)