|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Olga Semyonovna from "The Darling" cannot live without?
(d) Loving someone.
2. In regard to marriage, what is the village custom?
(a) To marry only when in love.
(b) There is no need unless one wants to.
(c) For the son to marry to get a helper in the house.
(d) To marry only when there is a dowry.
3. What is strange about Belikov in "The Man in a Case"?
(a) He talks aloud to himself.
(b) He covers himself extensively.
(c) He suffers from paranoia.
(d) He dislikes sunny weather.
4. What is most important to Lida Volchaninova?
(a) Having children.
(b) Getting married.
(c) Providing for her mother and sister.
(d) Local politics and helping the needy.
5. How is Korolev convinced to stay overnight to watch over Liza?
(a) Liza coquettishly requests.
(b) By Liza's mother's pitiful appeal.
(c) Christina demands him to.
(d) Liza's mother pays him extra rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the beadle to be so poor?
2. Why do the wedding dressmakers cry?
3. Whom does Grigory Petrovich generally have a softness for?
4. Who is more likely to tip the beadle?
5. What epiphany does Lyzhin realize while at von Taunitz's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is going through Anisim's head as he is getting married? What might this foreshadow in his life?
2. What is life like for Pyotr?
3. Why does Alekhin and Burkin not enjoy Ivan Ivanych's story about gooseberries?
4. Describe Belikov from "The Man in a Case" and what makes him so different from everyone else in his village. What influence does he have on the people around him?
5. What does Korolev theorize is the cause of imbalance between the strong and the weak?
6. What helps Olga keep her youth and what ages her so much?
7. Compare and contrast Olga's husbands and lovers. How are their personality types alike and different? How does this affect Olga as a person?
8. In "On Official Business", the coroner has a dream about the beadle and the Zemstvo walking side by side. Write a brief interpretation of this dream.
9. How does Katya show how she feels about Pyotr's status as a bishop?
10. What is the Tsybukins' reaction to Nikifor's death?
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)