|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is constantly on Nikolai Stepanych's mind?
(a) His lack of tenure at the university.
(c) Liza and Mr. Gnekker.
(d) How he needs smarter students.
2. What do Stepanych and his wife discuss every morning?
(b) His health and their son.
(d) The weather.
3. What is a panikhida?
(a) A formal apology to God.
(b) A celebration of the living.
(c) A commemorative prayer for the dead.
(d) A type of bread.
4. What does Ivan Gromov suffer from?
(a) Bipolar disorder.
5. What does Stepanych think of Katya?
(a) She is too foolish to make it in this world.
(b) She is too brash for men.
(c) She is innocent and naive.
(d) She is too timid to be in theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mood during the night Ivan Velikopolsky visits the widows in "The Student" is __________.
2. What feeling does Gusev have before he dies?
3. According to Stepanych, what does Pyotr lack to set the world on fire?
4. What is the total number of time Cherviakov attempts to apologize to the General?
5. What does Katya suggest to Stepanych?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes akathists so difficult?
2. Why does the black monk make Andrei Kovrin feel good?
3. Describe how Olga Ivanovna and her friends treat Osip. How does this turn on Olga?
4. What happens to officials who deal with people's suffering, such as judges, policemen, and doctors? How does this affect the innocent?
5. What does Ivan Velikopolsky in "The Student" see in the present that reminds him of the past? How does he connect the two?
6. How does real life affect Varka's sleep at night?
7. Why doesn't Grigoriev believe the magistrate when he says taking nuts will derail the train?
8. What does the Tartar think of Vassily and the Explainer? Who does he respect more and why?
9. When a fellow soldier asks Gusev if he is not afraid to die, what is his response? How does his response reflect his character?
10. How does Grigoriev react to his punishment?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)