|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Olga Ivanovna's greatest talent?
(d) Acquainting with celebrities.
2. In "In Exile", what does the Explainer advise the Tartar?
(a) To sleep by the fire or he'll freeze.
(b) To make friends quick.
(c) To stay by him for protection.
(d) To want nothing.
3. What is Ivan Cherviakov watching when he sneezes on the man in front of him?
(a) A symphony.
(b) A circus show.
(c) An opera.
(d) A play.
4. To whom does Vanka write to on Christmas Eve?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His old miss.
(d) His father.
5. What special gift did Nikolai have as a monk?
(a) Keeping the novices quiet and respectful.
(b) Writing sermons.
(c) Have a good rapport with everyone.
(d) Writing akathists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ordinary conversation between Mikhail and Katya?
2. What insulting word does Andreich call his daughter Maria?
3. Why is Varka happy to fetch the firewood?
4. Why is the Tartar exiled in Siberia?
5. What do Nevyrazimov and Paramon hear through the vents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Olga Ivanovna and her friends treat Osip. How does this turn on Olga?
2. How does Cherviakov's wife not help his situation with the General?
3. Compare Nikolai Stepanych's (A Boring Story) public name to the real person.
4. What will happen to Vanka at the end of his story?
5. Describe Maria's upbringing under Andreich. What is Andreich's role in her life?
6. What happens to officials who deal with people's suffering, such as judges, policemen, and doctors? How does this affect the innocent?
7. Modest Alexeich admonishes Anya and her family about how a "man must have his responsibilities!" Between Modest, Anya, and her family, who shows responsibilities best?
8. Why does the black monk make Andrei Kovrin feel good?
9. What does the Tartar think of Vassily and the Explainer? Who does he respect more and why?
10. When a fellow soldier asks Gusev if he is not afraid to die, what is his response? How does his response reflect his character?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)