|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Vasilisa's tears make Ivan happy?
(a) They are tears of relief.
(b) They are tears of joy.
(c) He hates her.
(d) He sees a connection between the past and present.
2. What feeling overtakes Kovrin to the point that it worries him?
3. In "Ward No. 6", who is Nikita?
(a) The assistant doctor.
(b) One of the patients of Ward No. 6.
(c) The hall porter.
(d) The caretaker.
4. What feeling do Mashenka and Matvei have that brings them together?
(c) A want of revenge.
5. What is it about Mr. Gnekker that worries Nikolai Stepanych?
(a) That he may be a sponger.
(b) That he is not handsome enough for his Liza.
(c) That he is a con artist.
(d) That he may be too rich for their blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Modest Andreich view his wife?
2. What does Ivan Gromov suffer from?
3. What is a panikhida?
4. What did Nikolai do for Ieronym when he was alive?
5. What embitters Nikolai Stepanych about his children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Maria's upbringing under Andreich. What is Andreich's role in her life?
2. What will happen to Vanka at the end of his story?
3. Why does Katya leave to the Caucasus?
4. Compare Nikolai Stepanych's (A Boring Story) public name to the real person.
5. Why doesn't Grigoriev believe the magistrate when he says taking nuts will derail the train?
6. Dr. Andrei Yefimych states that Ivan Dmitrich is "interested in precisely the right things." What are these right things?
7. As Gusev drifts in and out of sleep, what thoughts interchange in his dreams?
8. When a fellow soldier asks Gusev if he is not afraid to die, what is his response? How does his response reflect his character?
9. What stops Nevyrazimov from moving up in the world?
10. Why does the black monk make Andrei Kovrin feel good?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)