|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Korolev believe social change will occur?
(a) In the next generations.
(b) Not for another hundred years.
(c) Later in his lifetime.
(d) He is skeptical things will ever change in Russia.
2. In "The Lady with the Little Dog", how does Gurov treat women?
(a) He tries not to be around them.
(b) As equals.
(d) With utmost respect.
3. Where does Dmitri Gurov look to meet Anna in S.?
(a) Opening night at the theater.
(b) By the pier.
(c) At the museums.
(d) Outside her bedroom window.
4. In "At Christmastime", whom does Vasilisa ask to help her write a letter to her daughter?
(a) The cook.
(b) The tavern keeper.
(c) Her husband.
5. Whose idea is it to give Grigory's land to Nikifor in a will?
6. In "The Darling", why does Kukin hate the rain so much?
(a) It ruins his business.
(b) It stops him from being able to go for his daily walks.
(c) The grey clouds make him feel sad.
(d) He is unable to go hunting.
7. How does Olga help Vladimir when he returns to her?
(a) She gives him money.
(b) She helps him find a post.
(c) She gives him the house.
(d) She lets his family stay in the wing without pay.
8. Whom does Grigory Petrovich generally have a softness for?
(b) His deaf son.
(c) His eldest son and daughter-in-law Aksinya.
(d) His late wife.
9. To what does Korolev equate the factory?
(b) A church.
(c) A family.
(d) A prison.
10. How is Varvara Nikolaevna different from all the others in Grigory's home?
(a) She is deceitful.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She comes from a poor family.
(d) She gives away alms.
11. Whom does Marya talk with easily?
(a) Her eldest son.
(c) Her youngest daughter.
12. According to the artist in "The House with the Mezzanine", what is the only thing worth living for?
(a) Spiritual activity.
13. Why does Vasilisa have trouble writing a letter to her daughter?
(a) There is too much to say.
(b) Vasilisa is angry with her daughter but does not want to show it.
(c) Vasilisa has no news to write about.
(d) She is only doing it for her husband.
14. What do Lyzhin and Starchenko wish for as they stand next to the dead body?
(a) For the beadle to go away.
(b) To be back in Moscow.
(c) More time.
(d) For the witnesses to return immediately.
15. In "The House with the Mezzanine", the artist's lifestyle can be described as __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the wedding dressmakers cry?
2. In "A Medical Case", what is Korolev's impression of the countryside?
3. What renews Olga's youth?
4. What same sound does Lyzhin hear at the Zemstvo cottage and von Taunitz's?
5. What oppressive feeling does Korolev feel as he walks around the factory buildings?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)