|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lyzhin and Starchenko wish for as they stand next to the dead body?
(a) For the witnesses to return immediately.
(b) For the beadle to go away.
(c) To be back in Moscow.
(d) More time.
2. What renews Olga's youth?
(a) Finding her own independent passions.
(b) Being Vladimir's lover again.
(c) Mothering Sasha.
(d) Participating in a women's club.
3. When Olga is alone, what thoughts does she have?
(a) Her passions return to theater.
(c) She becomes passionate about her garden.
(d) She becomes passionate about cooking.
4. Whom does the factory benefit the most?
(c) Christina Dmitrievna.
(d) The factory workers.
5. What is Belikov and Kovalenko's relationship like?
(a) Kovalenko dislikes Belikov.
(b) Belikov dislikes Kovalenko.
(c) They have mutual respect for one another.
(d) They each think the other is brutish.
6. According to the artist in "The House with the Mezzanine", what is the only thing worth living for?
(a) Spiritual activity.
7. In regard to marriage, what is the village custom?
(a) To marry only when in love.
(b) For the son to marry to get a helper in the house.
(c) There is no need unless one wants to.
(d) To marry only when there is a dowry.
8. How is Anisim caught with counterfeit?
(a) The merrymakers try to bribe him and turns him in.
(b) Grigory notices it and turns him in.
(c) The blacksmith traces it back to him.
(d) Aksinya realizes it and turns him in.
9. How long does Olga and Pustovalov's marriage last before he dies of illness?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six years.
10. What is the banging that Korolev keeps hearing?
(a) The watchmen keeping time of the hour.
(b) The idle employees killing time.
(c) The wind howling at the storage doors.
(d) The guards making sure the employees are awake and working.
11. What does Anna Sergeevna fear when she starts relations with Gurov?
(a) Her husband will find out.
(b) That she will be judged a sinner.
(c) The town will talk about her.
(d) He will no longer respect her.
12. In "A Medical Case", what is Korolev's impression of the countryside?
(a) It is boring.
(b) It is archaic.
(c) It is peaceful and quiet.
(d) It is dead.
13. To what does Korolev equate the factory?
(a) A prison.
(b) A church.
(d) A family.
14. What happens to Grigory in old age?
(a) He moves to Siberia to be closer to Anisim.
(b) He forgets to eat and is forgotten.
(c) He remains the man of the house and gives orders from bed.
(d) He becomes burdened with guilt and stops cheating his customers.
15. Why haven't Vasilisa and her husband received any word from Yefimya?
(a) Yefimya is too busy to write.
(b) Andrei forbids her to contact her parents.
(c) Yefimya is too ill to write.
(d) Andrei did not mail Yefimya's letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on Varvara's mind when Anisim unexpectedly returns home?
2. Who is the only person who can behave comfortably around Bishop Pyotr?
3. What is it like for Bishop Pyotr when he serves abroad?
4. How does Nikifor die?
5. What does Bishop Pyotr die of?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)