|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the beadle to be so poor?
(a) His alcoholic sons.
(b) He was born poor and never had a chance at education.
(c) His alcoholism.
(d) His addiction with gambling.
2. Why haven't Vasilisa and her husband received any word from Yefimya?
(a) Yefimya is too ill to write.
(b) Andrei forbids her to contact her parents.
(c) Yefimya is too busy to write.
(d) Andrei did not mail Yefimya's letters.
3. What oppressive feeling does Korolev feel as he walks around the factory buildings?
(a) The devil is watching.
(b) The factory will fail and the family will fall with it.
(c) Liza's mother depending on him.
(d) Christina is the most educated in all of the house despite her ignorance.
4. How long has it been since Bishop Pyotr last saw his mother?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Nine years.
5. Whom does Marya bring with her to visit Bishop Pyotr?
(a) Her grandson Sisoy.
(b) His nephew Sisoy.
(c) His little sister Katya.
(d) Her granddaughter Katya.
6. Why does Zhenya discontinue seeing the artist?
(a) The artist moves away.
(b) Her mother disapproves.
(c) Lida disapproves.
(d) Zhenya is too busy with politics.
7. How do Alekhin and Burkin view Ivan's story about Nikolai and the gooseberries?
(a) They see no point to the story.
(b) They think it is beautiful.
(c) They agree with Ivan's lesson at the end of the story.
(d) They find it judgmental and pushy.
8. What is the banging that Korolev keeps hearing?
(a) The guards making sure the employees are awake and working.
(b) The watchmen keeping time of the hour.
(c) The wind howling at the storage doors.
(d) The idle employees killing time.
9. How is Lipa last seen?
(a) Impoverished and depressed.
(b) Married happily with another peasant.
(c) Fearful of the Tsybukins.
(d) Happy as a day laborer.
10. Whom does the factory benefit the most?
(b) The factory workers.
(d) Christina Dmitrievna.
11. What do Olga and Kukin believe the public prefers?
(b) Cultural classics.
12. How does Olga help Vladimir when he returns to her?
(a) She lets his family stay in the wing without pay.
(b) She helps him find a post.
(c) She gives him money.
(d) She gives him the house.
13. What same sound does Lyzhin hear at the Zemstvo cottage and von Taunitz's?
(a) The howling blizzard.
(b) Distant moans and groans.
(c) Eerie voices.
(d) A "tap, tap, tap" like someone walking with a cane.
14. What does Lyzhin do for the beadle when he sees him at von Taunitz's?
(a) He offers him a glass of vodka.
(b) He offers him a ride back to the village.
(d) He gives him a kopeck.
15. What epiphany does Lyzhin realize while at von Taunitz's?
(a) Life in Moscow has nothing to do with provincial life.
(b) Life is full of random accidents.
(c) The provincial life is not as bad as he assumed.
(d) Life's events are not accidents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Ivan Ivanych and Burkin call on Alekhin in "Gooseberries"?
2. What does Korolev assume about factory workers?
3. How does the coroner witness the disrespect the beadle gets?
4. In "The Darling", why does Kukin hate the rain so much?
5. What is strange about Belikov in "The Man in a Case"?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)