|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Katya's reaction to Pyotr's title as bishop?
(a) She is unaware of its importance.
(b) She becomes afraid.
(c) She reveres him.
(d) She mocks him.
2. How are Ivan Ivanych and his brother Nikolai different?
(a) Ivan values spirituality more than Nikolai.
(b) Ivan is frugal while Nikolai likes to spend his money.
(c) Nikolai loves the town while Ivan prefers the country.
(d) Ivan is a townsman while Nikolai is a country man.
3. What does Lyzhin do for the beadle when he sees him at von Taunitz's?
(a) He gives him a kopeck.
(b) He offers him a ride back to the village.
(c) He offers him a glass of vodka.
4. How is Anisim caught with counterfeit?
(a) The merrymakers try to bribe him and turns him in.
(b) Grigory notices it and turns him in.
(c) Aksinya realizes it and turns him in.
(d) The blacksmith traces it back to him.
5. What does Korolev assume about factory workers?
(a) They are there because of karma.
(b) They are drunkards and ignorant.
(c) They are lucky to have a job.
(d) They are honest hard workers.
6. Who does Sasha believe Olga is?
(a) His auntie.
(b) His mother.
(c) His nanny.
(d) His grandmother.
7. Whom does Grigory Petrovich generally have a softness for?
(a) His late wife.
(c) His eldest son and daughter-in-law Aksinya.
(d) His deaf son.
8. How is Varvara Nikolaevna different from all the others in Grigory's home?
(a) She comes from a poor family.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She gives away alms.
(d) She is deceitful.
9. What is on Varvara's mind when Anisim unexpectedly returns home?
(a) She wishes Aksinya married him instead.
(b) He is such a handsome fellow.
(c) He should get married.
(d) He should find a new job.
10. Whom does Marya bring with her to visit Bishop Pyotr?
(a) His little sister Katya.
(b) Her grandson Sisoy.
(c) Her granddaughter Katya.
(d) His nephew Sisoy.
11. What is it like for Bishop Pyotr when he serves abroad?
(a) He is homesick.
(b) He feels it is useless.
(c) He is happy to see other parts of the world.
(d) He can see himself doing this forever.
12. Where do Dmitri Gurov and the lady with the dog first meet?
13. What causes the beadle to be so poor?
(a) He was born poor and never had a chance at education.
(b) His addiction with gambling.
(c) His alcoholic sons.
(d) His alcoholism.
14. In "The Bishop", what day does Bishop Pyotr unexpectedly sees his mother?
(a) The Eve of Palm Sunday.
(b) Easter night.
(c) Christmas Eve.
(d) The first day of Lent.
15. In "On Official Business", where is the scene of death?
(a) The clerk's office.
(b) The village hall.
(c) The Zemstvo cottage.
(d) The Zemstvo's barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the coroner witness the disrespect the beadle gets?
2. What does Anna Sergeevna fear when she starts relations with Gurov?
3. What does Anisim say that astonishes Varvara, his mother?
4. How does Olga help Vladimir when he returns to her?
5. What brings Anna back home to her husband?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)