|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the coroner witness the disrespect the beadle gets?
(a) The coroner sees the people shoo him away when heading to the von Taunitz.
(b) The driver runs the beadle into the snow.
(c) The witnesses laugh at the beadle when he tries to call them over.
(d) Dr. Starchenko speaks to him contemptously.
2. In "On Official Business", where is the scene of death?
(a) The Zemstvo cottage.
(b) The clerk's office.
(c) The Zemstvo's barn.
(d) The village hall.
3. What is it like for Bishop Pyotr when he serves abroad?
(a) He can see himself doing this forever.
(b) He is homesick.
(c) He is happy to see other parts of the world.
(d) He feels it is useless.
4. What does Anna Sergeevna fear when she starts relations with Gurov?
(a) The town will talk about her.
(b) Her husband will find out.
(c) That she will be judged a sinner.
(d) He will no longer respect her.
5. What is Belikov and Kovalenko's relationship like?
(a) Belikov dislikes Kovalenko.
(b) They have mutual respect for one another.
(c) Kovalenko dislikes Belikov.
(d) They each think the other is brutish.
6. In "A Medical Case", what is Korolev's impression of the countryside?
(a) It is peaceful and quiet.
(b) It is archaic.
(c) It is boring.
(d) It is dead.
7. When Olga is alone, what thoughts does she have?
(a) She becomes passionate about cooking.
(b) She becomes passionate about her garden.
(d) Her passions return to theater.
8. In "At Christmastime", whom does Vasilisa ask to help her write a letter to her daughter?
(a) The cook.
(b) Her husband.
(d) The tavern keeper.
9. Who is the only person who can behave comfortably around Bishop Pyotr?
(a) No one.
10. What do Kovalenko and Varenka do that appalls Belikov?
(a) Wear sandals in the rain.
(b) Dance in the street.
(c) Ride bicycles.
(d) Sing in the classroom.
11. What brings Anna back home to her husband?
(a) Gurov disrespects her and she runs to her husband for assurance.
(b) Anna's husband is ill.
(c) Her husband suspects her affair and demands that she return immediately.
(d) Anna feels guilty for her actions and wants to seek forgiveness.
12. How are Ivan Ivanych and his brother Nikolai different?
(a) Ivan is frugal while Nikolai likes to spend his money.
(b) Nikolai loves the town while Ivan prefers the country.
(c) Ivan is a townsman while Nikolai is a country man.
(d) Ivan values spirituality more than Nikolai.
13. In "The House with the Mezzanine", the artist's lifestyle can be described as __________.
14. What causes the beadle to be so poor?
(a) His alcoholism.
(b) His addiction with gambling.
(c) His alcoholic sons.
(d) He was born poor and never had a chance at education.
15. How is Korolev convinced to stay overnight to watch over Liza?
(a) Liza coquettishly requests.
(b) By Liza's mother's pitiful appeal.
(c) Christina demands him to.
(d) Liza's mother pays him extra rubles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Korolev believe social change will occur?
2. Why does Zhenya discontinue seeing the artist?
3. To what does Korolev equate the factory?
4. In regard to marriage, what is the village custom?
5. How does Olga support the ones she loves?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)