|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Korolev convinced to stay overnight to watch over Liza?
(a) Christina demands him to.
(b) Liza coquettishly requests.
(c) Liza's mother pays him extra rubles.
(d) By Liza's mother's pitiful appeal.
2. What does Anisim say that astonishes Varvara, his mother?
(a) That he does not want to marry.
(b) That he is in love with Aksinya.
(c) That she will go to hell.
(d) That he does not believe in God.
3. Who does Sasha believe Olga is?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His auntie.
(d) His nanny.
4. In "The Darling", why does Kukin hate the rain so much?
(a) He is unable to go hunting.
(b) It ruins his business.
(c) The grey clouds make him feel sad.
(d) It stops him from being able to go for his daily walks.
5. What do Kovalenko and Varenka do that appalls Belikov?
(a) Ride bicycles.
(b) Wear sandals in the rain.
(c) Sing in the classroom.
(d) Dance in the street.
6. What oppressive feeling does Korolev feel as he walks around the factory buildings?
(a) Liza's mother depending on him.
(b) The factory will fail and the family will fall with it.
(c) Christina is the most educated in all of the house despite her ignorance.
(d) The devil is watching.
7. What is strange about Belikov in "The Man in a Case"?
(a) He covers himself extensively.
(b) He suffers from paranoia.
(c) He talks aloud to himself.
(d) He dislikes sunny weather.
8. What is the one thing Olga Semyonovna from "The Darling" cannot live without?
(b) Loving someone.
9. Who is more likely to tip the beadle?
(a) A landowner.
(b) No one.
(c) A peasant.
(d) A visitor from the city.
10. What causes the beadle to be so poor?
(a) His addiction with gambling.
(b) His alcoholism.
(c) His alcoholic sons.
(d) He was born poor and never had a chance at education.
11. When does Korolev believe social change will occur?
(a) He is skeptical things will ever change in Russia.
(b) Later in his lifetime.
(c) Not for another hundred years.
(d) In the next generations.
12. What races through the bishop's head when his colleagues confirm his mother's appearance?
(a) The day his father died.
(b) He wonders what he will say to her.
(c) The last day he saw her.
(d) Childhood memories.
13. Why do the women in town get excited about Belikov's life?
(a) Belikov is promoted to a privy councilor.
(b) One of the daughters falls in love with Belikov.
(c) Belikov inherits a fortune.
(d) They want to arrange a marriage for him.
14. What do Olga and Kukin believe the public prefers?
(b) Cultural classics.
15. What does Anna Sergeevna fear when she starts relations with Gurov?
(a) That she will be judged a sinner.
(b) The town will talk about her.
(c) He will no longer respect her.
(d) Her husband will find out.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "At Christmastime", whom does Vasilisa ask to help her write a letter to her daughter?
2. What is on Varvara's mind when Anisim unexpectedly returns home?
3. In, "In the Ravine", what is the village Ukleyevo known for?
4. What are the people's reaction to the Zemstvo killing?
5. How does the coroner end up at von Taunitz's?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)