|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Peasant Woman", what does Dyudya enjoy about having visitors?
(a) Hearing their stories.
(b) His ability to help them in their travels.
(c) He is lonely without travelers passing by.
(d) This is how he gets news about the world.
2. Why is the Tartar exiled in Siberia?
(a) He refuses to join the military.
(b) For beating his father.
(c) For stealing chickens.
(d) For stealing horses.
3. In "Ward No. 6", who is Nikita?
(a) The caretaker.
(b) The assistant doctor.
(c) The hall porter.
(d) One of the patients of Ward No. 6.
4. What empowers Anya in her marriage?
(a) His Excellency's wife.
(b) Her charm with the officials' wives.
(c) The remembrance of her late mother's strength.
(d) Her charm with high officials.
5. Why does Andreich believe it is acceptable to call Maria by an insulting name?
(a) Because other people call her that all the time.
(b) Because God forgave her.
(c) Because she is a woman.
(d) Because he is her father.
6. What insulting word does Andreich call his daughter Maria?
(a) A whore.
(b) A harlot.
(c) A slut.
(d) A philosopher.
7. What is the total number of time Cherviakov attempts to apologize to the General?
8. What is General Brizzhalov's first reaction to Cherviakov?
(a) He is furious with Cherviakov.
(b) He accepts the apology amiably with a smile.
(c) He is appalled but Cherviakov's rudeness.
(d) He wants Cherviakov to let him be.
9. To whom is Nevyrazimov writing a letter?
(a) His boss.
(b) His wife.
(c) His parents.
(d) His children.
10. What feeling do Mashenka and Matvei have that brings them together?
(b) A want of revenge.
11. What does Varka do finally to get some sleep?
(a) Pay the apprentice to watch the baby.
(b) Leave the house and sleep outside.
(c) Strangle the baby.
(d) Strangle the master and his wife.
12. How does Stepanych feel about his life in the months before his death?
(a) Nothing changes.
(b) Everything is happier.
(c) Everyone seems nicer.
(d) Everything is boring.
13. What is Ivan Cherviakov watching when he sneezes on the man in front of him?
(a) A play.
(b) A symphony.
(c) An opera.
(d) A circus show.
14. What is Grigoriev's punishment?
(a) Convincing his village to stop taking nuts from the rail lines.
(b) Putting new nuts on the rail lines.
(c) A year of imprisonment.
(d) A term of hard labor.
15. What causes Anyuta to cry?
(a) Anyuta wants to move out.
(b) Stepan wants to separate.
(c) Stepan yells at her for being stupid.
(d) The neighbor treats her badly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Gusev have before he dies?
2. What does Ivan Gromov suffer from?
3. What is it about Mr. Gnekker that worries Nikolai Stepanych?
4. On what holiday does Nevyrazimov volunteer to work on?
5. What does the judge discover about an accident from the previous year?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)