|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vanka remember about Christmastime?
(a) An orange in his stocking one year.
(b) Decorating the tree with his parents.
(c) Making cookies with the cooks in the master's house.
(d) Getting the tree with his grandfather.
2. What did Nikolai do for Ieronym when he was alive?
(a) Go through prayer sessions with him.
(b) Teach him how to write poems.
(c) Sing him lullabies.
(d) Call out to Ieronym so he is not scared on the ferry at night.
3. What happens to Vassily Sergeich's family?
(a) His children die of consumption.
(b) The wife runs away and his daughter is ill.
(c) They are left in Moscow while he is in exile in Siberia.
(d) His wife dies of consumption and his daughter has severe pneumonia.
4. Why is Varka happy to fetch the firewood?
(a) She wants to be outside.
(b) Activity makes her less sleepy.
(c) She is cold.
(d) It gets her away from the mistress of the house.
5. How does Yegor describe himself?
(a) A man of wisdom.
(c) As a free spirit.
6. What feeling do Mashenka and Matvei have that brings them together?
(b) A want of revenge.
7. Why does the orchestra reluctantly call on Yakov to play with them?
(a) He takes over the spotlight.
(b) He asks for too much money.
(c) He is horrible at the fiddle.
(d) He is abusive.
8. Why is business bad for Bronze in "Rothschild's Fiddle"?
(a) Too many people are dying.
(b) Not enough people are dying.
(c) There is a recession.
(d) Everyone dies poor and wants cheap coffins.
9. What is the celebration like after Modest Alexeich and Anya's wedding?
(a) Close to non-existent.
(b) The ball of the town.
(c) Frugal but the largest affair of the village.
(d) The nicest wedding reception Modest can afford.
10. What special gift did Nikolai have as a monk?
(a) Writing akathists.
(b) Keeping the novices quiet and respectful.
(c) Have a good rapport with everyone.
(d) Writing sermons.
11. How does Stepanych feel about his life in the months before his death?
(a) Everything is boring.
(b) Nothing changes.
(c) Everything is happier.
(d) Everyone seems nicer.
12. Whom does Varka see in her dreams?
(a) Melting candles.
(b) Singing lamps.
(c) Her late parents.
(d) Babies with wings.
13. What is the ordinary conversation between Mikhail and Katya?
(a) Praises for the theater.
(b) Stepanych's health.
(c) The latest in medicine.
(d) Ill gossip about people.
14. How does Modest Andreich view his wife?
(a) He is in love with her innocence.
(b) She is there on a friend's advice, not because he wants a wife.
(c) She is there to advance his career.
(d) He is in love with her beauty.
15. What does Kovrin seem to hate the most?
(a) A state of mediocrity.
(b) His inability to love fairly.
(c) Being different.
(d) The hallucinations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Vasilisa's tears make Ivan happy?
2. The mood during the night Ivan Velikopolsky visits the widows in "The Student" is __________.
3. What does Varka do finally to get some sleep?
4. What feeling does Gusev have before he dies?
5. What causes Pavel Ivanych in "Gusev" to be more irritable than usual?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)