|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Anyuta to cry?
(a) The neighbor treats her badly.
(b) Stepan yells at her for being stupid.
(c) Anyuta wants to move out.
(d) Stepan wants to separate.
2. What does Anya do for her family when she gains access to money?
(b) Provide adequate amounts of food.
(c) Buy her brothers new clothes.
(d) Support her brothers to attend university.
3. What feeling overtakes Kovrin to the point that it worries him?
4. What expression does Marfa, Bronze's wife, have as she is dying?
(a) Serenity and joy.
(c) Pity and sorrow.
5. Vasya and Mashenka's marriage can be described as __________.
6. What feeling does Gusev have before he dies?
(a) A sense of happiness.
(b) An aura of uneasiness.
(c) A feeling of content.
(d) A sense of yearning.
7. How does Anyuta help Stepan's studies?
(a) By researching any questions he has.
(b) By keeping his environment neat and clean.
(c) By testing him with note cards.
(d) By being his anatomical model.
8. What is Olga Ivanovna's greatest talent?
(b) Acquainting with celebrities.
9. What is a panikhida?
(a) A formal apology to God.
(b) A type of bread.
(c) A celebration of the living.
(d) A commemorative prayer for the dead.
10. What does Stepanych think of Katya?
(a) She is too brash for men.
(b) She is innocent and naive.
(c) She is too foolish to make it in this world.
(d) She is too timid to be in theater.
11. What makes Nevyrazimov feel better?
(a) Talking with Paramon.
(b) The smells of good food.
(c) Killing a cockroach.
(d) Dreaming of a possible promotion.
12. What is the root of poverty in Anya's family?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Her brother's irresponsible ways.
(c) Her father's physical disability.
(d) Pyotr's alcoholism.
13. To whom is Nevyrazimov writing a letter?
(a) His boss.
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
(d) His parents.
14. Why does Andreich believe it is acceptable to call Maria by an insulting name?
(a) Because she is a woman.
(b) Because God forgave her.
(c) Because he is her father.
(d) Because other people call her that all the time.
15. What is the celebration like after Modest Alexeich and Anya's wedding?
(a) The ball of the town.
(b) Close to non-existent.
(c) The nicest wedding reception Modest can afford.
(d) Frugal but the largest affair of the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is business bad for Bronze in "Rothschild's Fiddle"?
2. What do Stepanych and his wife discuss every morning?
3. Why is Varka happy to fetch the firewood?
4. What consolation does Yegor give to Pelageya when he leaves her?
5. The university Stepanych works at can be described as __________.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)