|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Pavel Ivanych in "Gusev" to be more irritable than usual?
(a) When there is not enough to drink.
(b) When the air becomes too humid.
(c) When the card players get too rowdy.
(d) When the ship tosses.
2. The condition of Stepan and Anyuta's room can be described as __________.
(a) Meticulously clean.
(b) Averagely boring.
3. What insulting word does Andreich call his daughter Maria?
(a) A whore.
(b) A slut.
(c) A harlot.
(d) A philosopher.
4. What is constantly on Nikolai Stepanych's mind?
(a) His lack of tenure at the university.
(c) How he needs smarter students.
(d) Liza and Mr. Gnekker.
5. What do Stepanych and his wife discuss every morning?
(b) The weather.
(c) His health and their son.
6. According to Stepanych, what does Pyotr lack to set the world on fire?
(c) Proper work ethics.
7. What is the celebration like after Modest Alexeich and Anya's wedding?
(a) The nicest wedding reception Modest can afford.
(b) Frugal but the largest affair of the village.
(c) The ball of the town.
(d) Close to non-existent.
8. What do Ieronym and the passenger see so beautiful in the sky as they cross the river?
(a) A crescent moon.
(b) A full moon.
(c) Wisps of clouds.
9. Why does Osip leave Olga?
(a) He leaves her when she announces her love for Ryabovsky.
(b) He dies from diphtheria.
(c) Osip leaves because Olga is too dramatic.
(d) He pursues an academic career in Germany.
10. What is Dr. Yefimych's true passion?
(a) Anatomy and physiology.
11. What does Stepanych think of Katya?
(a) She is innocent and naive.
(b) She is too timid to be in theater.
(c) She is too brash for men.
(d) She is too foolish to make it in this world.
12. What is Olga Ivanovna's greatest talent?
(b) Acquainting with celebrities.
13. Whom does Varka see in her dreams?
(a) Babies with wings.
(b) Her late parents.
(c) Melting candles.
(d) Singing lamps.
14. In "Peasant Woman", what does Dyudya enjoy about having visitors?
(a) He is lonely without travelers passing by.
(b) Hearing their stories.
(c) This is how he gets news about the world.
(d) His ability to help them in their travels.
15. What does the black monk tell Kovrin about his presence?
(a) He is real but only to those that believe.
(b) He is as real to Kovrin as to everyone else in the gardens.
(c) He is always present whether Kovrin sees him or not.
(d) He is there by Kovrin's imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nikolai do for Ieronym when he was alive?
2. Why is business bad for Bronze in "Rothschild's Fiddle"?
3. What about Ryabovsky intrigues Olga?
4. In Velikopolsky's version of the Twelve Gospels, what does Peter do?
5. What does the judge think of Grigoriev?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)