|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the black monk tell Kovrin about his presence?
(a) He is real but only to those that believe.
(b) He is as real to Kovrin as to everyone else in the gardens.
(c) He is there by Kovrin's imagination.
(d) He is always present whether Kovrin sees him or not.
2. In whom does Ieronym see his friend Nikolai?
(a) A woman on the ferry.
(b) A merchant.
(c) The narrator.
(d) The archimandrite.
3. How does Modest Andreich view his wife?
(a) She is there to advance his career.
(b) He is in love with her innocence.
(c) She is there on a friend's advice, not because he wants a wife.
(d) He is in love with her beauty.
4. What causes Anyuta to cry?
(a) Stepan wants to separate.
(b) Stepan yells at her for being stupid.
(c) The neighbor treats her badly.
(d) Anyuta wants to move out.
5. What is Grigoriev's punishment?
(a) Convincing his village to stop taking nuts from the rail lines.
(b) A term of hard labor.
(c) A year of imprisonment.
(d) Putting new nuts on the rail lines.
6. What expression does Marfa, Bronze's wife, have as she is dying?
(a) Pity and sorrow.
(b) Serenity and joy.
7. What do Ieronym and the passenger see so beautiful in the sky as they cross the river?
(b) A full moon.
(c) Wisps of clouds.
(d) A crescent moon.
8. What embitters Nikolai Stepanych about his children?
(a) The choice of spouses.
(b) Their choice of careers.
(c) They continue to ask him for money.
(d) They do not help him during his financial troubles.
9. What feeling does Gusev have before he dies?
(a) An aura of uneasiness.
(b) A sense of happiness.
(c) A feeling of content.
(d) A sense of yearning.
10. What special gift did Nikolai have as a monk?
(a) Keeping the novices quiet and respectful.
(b) Writing akathists.
(c) Have a good rapport with everyone.
(d) Writing sermons.
11. What is Dr. Yefimych's true passion?
(c) Anatomy and physiology.
12. What is General Brizzhalov's first reaction to Cherviakov?
(a) He wants Cherviakov to let him be.
(b) He is furious with Cherviakov.
(c) He is appalled but Cherviakov's rudeness.
(d) He accepts the apology amiably with a smile.
13. What does Yegor Semyonych in "The Black Monk" believe is the key to his orchard's success?
(a) The people he hires.
(b) The support of his daughter.
(c) Russia's climate.
(d) His love for it.
14. What happens to Vassily Sergeich's family?
(a) His children die of consumption.
(b) They are left in Moscow while he is in exile in Siberia.
(c) The wife runs away and his daughter is ill.
(d) His wife dies of consumption and his daughter has severe pneumonia.
15. Why does Osip leave Olga?
(a) He dies from diphtheria.
(b) He leaves her when she announces her love for Ryabovsky.
(c) Osip leaves because Olga is too dramatic.
(d) He pursues an academic career in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kovrin seem to hate the most?
2. The university Stepanych works at can be described as __________.
3. What is the celebration like after Modest Alexeich and Anya's wedding?
4. What brought Gusev away to the Far East?
5. Why do Vasilisa's tears make Ivan happy?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)