|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Varka do finally to get some sleep?
(a) Pay the apprentice to watch the baby.
(b) Leave the house and sleep outside.
(c) Strangle the master and his wife.
(d) Strangle the baby.
2. To whom does Vanka write to on Christmas Eve?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His old miss.
(d) His father.
3. What does Yegor Semyonych in "The Black Monk" believe is the key to his orchard's success?
(a) Russia's climate.
(b) His love for it.
(c) The support of his daughter.
(d) The people he hires.
4. What is Ivan Cherviakov watching when he sneezes on the man in front of him?
(a) An opera.
(b) A play.
(c) A symphony.
(d) A circus show.
5. What is Nikolai the porter's proficiency?
(a) University news.
(d) The latest in medicine.
6. What empowers Anya in her marriage?
(a) Her charm with high officials.
(b) The remembrance of her late mother's strength.
(c) His Excellency's wife.
(d) Her charm with the officials' wives.
7. What did Nikolai do for Ieronym when he was alive?
(a) Sing him lullabies.
(b) Go through prayer sessions with him.
(c) Teach him how to write poems.
(d) Call out to Ieronym so he is not scared on the ferry at night.
8. When the narrator arrives to the other side of the river, the place can be described as __________.
9. What makes Nevyrazimov feel better?
(a) Killing a cockroach.
(b) The smells of good food.
(c) Talking with Paramon.
(d) Dreaming of a possible promotion.
10. What about Ryabovsky intrigues Olga?
(a) He is a genius in painting.
(b) He adds drama to her life.
(c) He is absolutely giving.
(d) She knows nothing about him and remains mysterious.
11. What does the judge think of Grigoriev?
(a) He believes Grigoriev is a liar.
(b) He thinks highly of the man but not his actions.
(c) He feels pity for the poor fellow.
(d) He thinks Grigoriev is mentally unstable.
12. What is Grigoriev's punishment?
(a) Convincing his village to stop taking nuts from the rail lines.
(b) Putting new nuts on the rail lines.
(c) A year of imprisonment.
(d) A term of hard labor.
13. In "Peasant Woman", what does Dyudya enjoy about having visitors?
(a) His ability to help them in their travels.
(b) This is how he gets news about the world.
(c) He is lonely without travelers passing by.
(d) Hearing their stories.
14. What feeling does Gusev have before he dies?
(a) A feeling of content.
(b) An aura of uneasiness.
(c) A sense of yearning.
(d) A sense of happiness.
15. In "The Fidget", Osip Dymov is __________.
(a) A celebrity.
(d) Socially insufferable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Anyuta to cry?
2. What does Vanka remember about Christmastime?
3. What happens at Pelageya's cottage on Easter?
4. What does Stepanych think of Katya?
5. What is the ordinary conversation between Mikhail and Katya?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)