|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stories 14 through 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a panikhida?
(a) A celebration of the living.
(b) A commemorative prayer for the dead.
(c) A type of bread.
(d) A formal apology to God.
2. What does the black monk tell Kovrin about his presence?
(a) He is there by Kovrin's imagination.
(b) He is always present whether Kovrin sees him or not.
(c) He is real but only to those that believe.
(d) He is as real to Kovrin as to everyone else in the gardens.
3. What is Grigoriev's punishment?
(a) A term of hard labor.
(b) Putting new nuts on the rail lines.
(c) A year of imprisonment.
(d) Convincing his village to stop taking nuts from the rail lines.
4. What does the judge think of Grigoriev?
(a) He feels pity for the poor fellow.
(b) He thinks highly of the man but not his actions.
(c) He believes Grigoriev is a liar.
(d) He thinks Grigoriev is mentally unstable.
5. Why is Varka happy to fetch the firewood?
(a) She wants to be outside.
(b) Activity makes her less sleepy.
(c) She is cold.
(d) It gets her away from the mistress of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brought Gusev away to the Far East?
2. The university Stepanych works at can be described as __________.
3. What is constantly on Nikolai Stepanych's mind?
4. What does Yegor Semyonych in "The Black Monk" believe is the key to his orchard's success?
5. What happens at Pelageya's cottage on Easter?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)