Stories 1 through 3
• The Death of a Clerk - A clerk, Cherviakov, sneezes on a General while at the opera.
• Cherviakov attempts to apologize but the General waves him off saying, "No matter."
• Cherviakov is unsatisfied with the apology and tries again during intermission.
• The next day, the clerk is still upset by the matter and goes to visit the General at his workplace.
• Cherviakov returns home trying to write a letter of apology but decides to try again in person the next day.
• The clerk tries once more to apologize but the General is so angry by the persistence he angrily yells "Get out!"
• Cherviakov is so taken aback, he goes home flustered and dies.
• Small Fry - A lowly clerk, Nevyrazimov is at work on Easter with the hall porter Paramon.
• They hear church bells and carriage noises through a vent.
• Nevyrazimov complains of his bitter life...
This section contains 4,156 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)