|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tobey have to accompany his father to work in Chapter 6?
(a) To manage the fields.
(b) To keep him company.
(c) To work for him.
(d) To keep him sober.
2. Which of the following does the author NOT use to describe the sun in Chapter 6?
3. What is described at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) How the pianist hurt Dagmar.
(b) How the relationship of the pianist and Dagmar ended.
(c) How the author left home.
(d) How the author injured the pianist.
4. When was the author confronted by a teacher at Southbury?
(a) During a trip to the library.
(b) In his dreams.
(c) At the cafeteria.
(d) On the way to the bathroom.
5. What other memory does the author also narrate at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) Going fishing.
(b) A near death experience.
(c) A frightening encounter with Jean's alcoholic brother.
(d) A conversation he had with his mom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the person who told the author he lost do to make Tobey lose the game in Chapter 6?
2. How does the author describe Jean and Dagmar when he leaves them to go with Tobey's family in Chapter 6?
3. According to the end of Chapter 1, what is significant about anarchy?
4. What has the author gained between the time he writes about these events to the time in which they actually took place?
5. Where did the author go with Tobey and his family in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chapters 4 and 5 represent?
2. Why was the author afraid of the cabin in Chapter 4?
3. What does the author say interrupted his life, in the prologue?
4. What was the result of Ligget's trial?
5. What did Tobey and the author do when the author went with Tobey's family?
6. In Chapter 2, why did the author and his family move, and what did they do?
7. What does the author describe that he and Tobey found together as kids?
8. What happened to Alison at the beginning of Chapter 6?
9. Who does the author recall in the first chapter, and what does he recall?
10. Where did the author sleep in Chapter 4, and why?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)