|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author do in Chapter 11 after the person overstayed her welcome?
(a) Called his mom.
(b) Ran away.
(c) Kicked her out.
(d) Screamed at Jean.
2. What does the author describe at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) His trip out West.
(b) His voyage to Africa.
(c) His voyage to Eurpoe.
(d) His drive across America.
3. What was the author barely conscious of in Chapter 10?
(a) Writing an essay.
(d) Leaving the house.
4. What language did the author study in Chapter 10?
5. On what day did the author get his job back in Chapter 15?
6. Where was the author left, after his mother left in Chapter 11?
(a) Alone in Florida.
(b) At school.
(c) At home with Alison.
(d) Alone with Jean in their apartment.
7. What was the author's family's cleaning lady's name, who lived in Harlem?
8. What did the author learn about his mother as he was writing his entrance exams for college?
(a) She was divorcing Jean.
(b) She had cancer.
(c) She was in a mental hospital.
(d) She was pregnant again.
9. What did the author relate to in Chapter 14?
(a) A visit to the west coast.
(b) A visit to Florida.
(c) His trip to Eurpoe.
(d) A visit to New York.
10. What was the name of the Swedish girl the author had a restrained relationship with?
11. What did the author's mother do upon her return home in Chapter 13?
(a) Cleaned it.
(b) Rid the apartment of Nell.
(c) Divorced Jean.
(d) Rid the apartment of its rank odor.
12. What did the author contemplate doing after the fruit stand failed in Chapter 9?
(a) Moving back to Ft. Lauderdale.
(b) Running away.
(c) Moving back to New York.
(d) Jumping off a fire escape.
13. Who was the author's second ride with in Chapter 11?
(a) A woman and a baby.
(b) A hippie.
(c) A woman truckdriver.
(d) An overwight trucker.
14. Who was the author's telegram from in Chapter 15?
15. What does the metaphor of multiple floors in his school suggest?
(a) The higher the class was in the builing, the less relevant it would be to his life.
(b) The higher the class was in the building, the harder the information would be.
(c) School took him away from life.
(d) School brought meaning to his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the author habitually late for in Chapter 10?
2. What happened to the author the remainder of his trip in Chapter 15?
3. What does Chapter 10 narrate?
4. Who did Jean write a letter to in Chapter 11?
5. Where did the author attend school in Denmark?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)