|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Dagmar go in Chapter 11?
(d) Ft. Lauderdale.
2. What happened to the author the remainder of his trip in Chapter 15?
(a) He got a cold.
(b) He was in a car accident and was in recovery.
(c) He was heartbroken.
(d) He was seasick.
3. What did the author do after he made his way through the crowd in Chapter 17?
(a) Looked at his compass.
(b) Settled in his cabin and explored the ship.
(c) Took a sip of water.
(d) Looked at his map.
4. What disrupted the author's surge of sexual energy on this particular day in Chapter 10?
(a) The books falling off the shelf.
(b) The woman bursting into tears.
(c) A phone call.
(d) His boss telling him to take out the garbage.
5. What did the author do after a day of lounging on the deck in Chapter 15?
(a) Read in the bathtub.
(b) Took a cold shower and shaved in hot water.
(c) Got a massage.
(d) Dressed up and went to first class.
6. What did the second person the author hitchhiked with dream of being?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A writer.
(c) A dancer.
(d) An opera singer.
7. Which of the following was not revealed about the person who moved in with the author in Chapter 11?
(a) She was manipulative.
(b) She was suicidal.
(c) She was a lying writer and actress.
(d) She was a mother.
8. What was the author awkwardly questioned about in Chapter 10?
(a) His deepest secrets.
(b) His dreams and ambitions in life.
(c) His sex life.
(d) His home life.
9. What were the author's two short-lived jobs in the visit he described in Chapter 14?
(a) Waiter and bowling alley.
(b) Movie theater and waiter.
(c) Waiter and cabana boy.
(d) Movie theater and bowling alley.
10. What did the author see that suddenly made him sexually energized in Chapter 10?
(a) A woman's thigh.
(b) A woman's neck.
(c) A woman's cleavage.
(d) A woman's wrist.
11. What language did the author study in Chapter 10?
12. How did Jean plan to make money in Chapter 9?
(a) Selling knock-off purses and sunglasses.
(b) Renting a house.
(c) Becoming a chef.
(d) Selling fruit on a street corner.
13. Why was the author disappointed with the people he met at dinner in Chapter 15?
(a) They went to the first class area.
(b) They went home.
(c) They went to bed early.
(d) They went to the pool.
14. What was the name of the Swedish girl the author had a restrained relationship with?
15. Who was the author's telegram from in Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author do in Chapter 11 after the person overstayed her welcome?
2. On what day did the author get his job back in Chapter 15?
3. What was Dagmar doing when she made her confirmation to the author in Chapter 13?
4. Where did the author go in the spring, in Chapter 18?
5. What does the author describe at the beginning of Chapter 17?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)