|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is described at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) How the pianist hurt Dagmar.
(b) How the relationship of the pianist and Dagmar ended.
(c) How the author injured the pianist.
(d) How the author left home.
2. In Chapter 3, what did Jean do?
(a) Built a second house.
(b) Became a cab driver.
(c) Gave horse riding lessons.
(d) Opened a store.
3. How does the author describe Jean and Dagmar when he leaves them to go with Tobey's family in Chapter 6?
4. Who of the following was NOT an important person to the author's childhood?
(b) The author's mom.
5. Where did the author and his family go at the beginning of Chapter 2?
6. What did the author pretend to do on the car ride home in Chapter 6?
(a) Be happy.
(c) Be mad.
7. What was the prize for the competition the author and Tobey competed in?
(a) Cotton candy.
(b) A silver pistol.
(c) Free tickets to other rides at the carnival.
(d) A stuffed animal.
8. According to Chapter 1, what does a first person biography offer?
(b) A personal opinion about life.
(c) A broader scope over its personal context.
(d) Historical insight.
9. What did the author and his family salvage in Chapter 6?
(a) A newspaper article.
(b) Usable wood.
(c) A plant.
(d) Their car.
10. Where did the author go at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The cabin.
(b) The woods.
(c) Another school.
(d) The lodge.
11. What does the author describe in the final section of Chapter 1?
(a) His headache.
(b) His hunger.
(c) A dream.
(d) A sleepless night.
12. What other memory does the author also narrate at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) A conversation he had with his mom.
(b) A frightening encounter with Jean's alcoholic brother.
(c) A near death experience.
(d) Going fishing.
13. Where did the author go the day he parted with his friend in Chapter 3?
(a) His paternal grandmother's.
(b) His dad's.
(c) His sister, Alison's.
(d) His maternal grandmother's.
14. How did the author feel about their arrival in Chapter 4?
(a) He was scared.
(b) He was excited.
(c) He was anxious.
(d) He dreaded it.
15. What was the name of the person the author mentioned being frightened by in Chapter 2?
(a) He gives no name.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies the author at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. What does the author describe in the prologue?
3. What was the name of the bitter pianist?
4. Why did Tobey have to accompany his father to work in Chapter 6?
5. Which of the following was NOT an outcome of Ligget's punishment?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)