|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT an outcome of Ligget's punishment?
(a) He was taken to the hospital with a broken jaw.
(b) The other boys were never punished.
(c) He never went back to school.
(d) He got a stomach virus.
2. Which of the following does the author NOT describe about the place he stayed at, in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 3, what does the author mention he and his friend discovered together?
(a) A dead horse.
(b) A dead deer.
(c) A dead mule.
(d) A dead cat.
4. What does the author describe in the prologue?
(a) His peaceful and productive country life.
(b) His dreams.
(c) His job.
(d) His house.
5. Why did Tobey have to accompany his father to work in Chapter 6?
(a) To keep him company.
(b) To work for him.
(c) To manage the fields.
(d) To keep him sober.
6. How many months pregnant was Dagmar in Chapter 6?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 5 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 9 months.
7. Who was Ligget?
(a) A frog.
(b) The author's pet dog.
(c) The name of the school gym.
(d) A boy who was put on "trial" by the other boys.
8. What does the author recall in the final section of Chapter 1?
(a) Waking in a white room filled with sunshine.
(b) His dad's voice.
(c) His childhood friend.
(d) His mom singing.
9. What was the name of the person the author mentioned being frightened by in Chapter 2?
(c) He gives no name.
10. In Chapter 3, what did Jean do?
(a) Opened a store.
(b) Built a second house.
(c) Became a cab driver.
(d) Gave horse riding lessons.
11. What was Ligget's punishment?
(a) He had to clean the desks every Tuesday.
(b) 40 boys were allowed to kick him.
(c) 40 boys were allowed to punch him.
(d) He had to keep score for recess the entire year.
12. What purpose does the initial introduction to "Stop-Time's" supporting characters serve for other chapters?
(a) Supports the author's initial character.
(b) Gives background information on the author.
(c) Gives a partial perspective, in which they unfold later in the text in great detail.
(d) Takes away from the author's main purpose for having them in the text.
13. What did the frightening experience the author recalled at the end of Chapter 2 do for him?
(a) Made him never drink alcohol.
(b) Made him a better man.
(c) Changed his view of the world.
(d) Made him quit smoking.
14. Which of the following is NOT a description made by the author about the pianist?
15. How long did the pianist live in the author's mom's apartment?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 9 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chapter 7 end?
2. How old was Alison when the family left New York?
3. In Chapter 5, who was the pianist jealous over?
4. When did the peak of the pianist and Jean's relationship occur?
5. When was the author confronted by a teacher at Southbury?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)