|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the author NOT use to describe the sun in Chapter 6?
2. What was the name of the author's friend that he narrates about in Chapter 3?
3. What was the name of the bitter pianist?
4. Who does Chapter 5 describe?
(a) A carnival.
(b) The author's laugh.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A string of temporary boarders, renting from Dagmar.
5. What was the atmosphere like at the experimental boarding school, according to the author?
(a) Strict and stern.
(b) One with academic and personal feedom.
(d) Playful and artsy.
6. Who of the following is NOT mentioned being with the author at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) His mother.
7. What was the name of the person the author mentioned being frightened by in Chapter 2?
(d) He gives no name.
8. How does the author describe Jean and Dagmar when he leaves them to go with Tobey's family in Chapter 6?
9. What was Ligget's punishment?
(a) 40 boys were allowed to punch him.
(b) He had to keep score for recess the entire year.
(c) 40 boys were allowed to kick him.
(d) He had to clean the desks every Tuesday.
10. According to Chapter 1, what does a first person biography offer?
(a) A personal opinion about life.
(b) Historical insight.
(d) A broader scope over its personal context.
11. Who does the author remember at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) His father.
(b) His first house.
(c) His mother.
(d) His first wife.
12. What was the author in constant fear of in Chapter 4?
(a) Being eaten.
(b) Being left alone.
(c) Being in the dark.
(d) Being killed.
13. What does the author describe at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) His education.
(b) A dream.
(c) Vivid recollections of leaving Freemont.
(d) His thought process.
14. How did Jean plan to make money in Chapter 3?
(a) Renting his house out.
(b) Selling hunting gear.
(c) Charging for private lessons on horseback riding.
(d) Cab rides.
15. What does the author recall in the final section of Chapter 1?
(a) His childhood friend.
(b) Waking in a white room filled with sunshine.
(c) His dad's voice.
(d) His mom singing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season did the author's friendship blossom, in Chapter 3?
2. Where did the author go at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. What did the author fear about Southbury Training School?
4. What has the author gained between the time he writes about these events to the time in which they actually took place?
5. Where did the author go with Tobey and his family in Chapter 6?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)