|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Sarhad, Mortenson was touched by the excitement of the students, especially a young girl who had been left disabled due to what disease?
(d) Yellow Fever.
2. When did the Soviet war in Afghanistan begin?
3. Who is the spiritual leader of the Taliban movement that operates in Afghanistan?
(a) Hokumati Azraw.
(b) Mohammed Omar.
(c) Mohammed Farkhar.
(d) Hokumati Darvishan.
4. When did the fall of the communist Mohammad Najibullah-regime take place?
5. Under Taliban law, girls were allowed neither to work nor to be educated after the age of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What United States President signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul?
2. What Islamic movement was founded by Muhammad Qasim Nanotvi, Muhammad Yaqub Nanautawi, Shah Rafi al-Din, Sayyid Muhammad Abid, Zulfiqar Ali, Fadhl al-Rahman 'Usmani and Rashid Ahmad Gangohi?
3. What is the name of Greg Mortenson's sister, in whose memory he sought to climb K2?
4. Where did Greg Mortenson earn a bachelor's degree in liberal studies and an associate's degree in nursing?
5. Opium production in Afghanistan has been on the rise since the United States occupation started in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the meeting between Sadhar Khan and Mortenson described in Part 1: Chapter 4?
2. Where in Afghanistan did Mortenson travel in the beginning of Part 1: Chapter 6?
3. What information did Sarfraz Khan give to Mortenson when they met in Part 1: Chapter 2 about the region?
4. How and when did the Taliban rise to power in Afghanistan? What laws did they enact?
5. Why did Mortenson travel to Badakshan in Part 1: Chapter 4?
6. How was Sandhar Khan's position on the opium trade described in Part 1: Chapter 5?
7. What did Mortenson learn from the minister of finance in Part 1: Chapter 3?
8. What obstacles did CAI face in building within Afghanistan in Part 1: Chapter 5?
9. Why did Mortenson not refuse the nearly impossible task of building a school in the Wakhan Corridor?
10. What does CAI specialize in? Why?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)