|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Greg Mortenson hire Sarfraz Khan to be for him in Part 1: Chapter 4?
(a) Remote project director.
(b) Transportation manager.
(c) Head of construction.
2. What is the capital of Afghanistan?
3. In Part 1: Chapter 5, CAI had just received a flood of donations due to an article that appeared in what periodical?
(a) Newsweek Magazine.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) Parade Magazine.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
4. What Islamic movement was founded by Muhammad Qasim Nanotvi, Muhammad Yaqub Nanautawi, Shah Rafi al-Din, Sayyid Muhammad Abid, Zulfiqar Ali, Fadhl al-Rahman 'Usmani and Rashid Ahmad Gangohi?
(a) Deobandi movement.
(b) Khandud movement.
(c) Munay movement.
(d) Farakh movement.
5. What pass between northern Pakistan and the Wakhan Corridor in Afghanistan is extremely remote and often closed off for six months or more during the winter due to heavy snows?
(a) The Tagao Pass.
(b) The Gereshk Pass.
(c) The Irshad Pass.
(d) The Darzab Pass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Opium production in Afghanistan has been on the rise since the United States occupation started in what year?
2. What is the world's highest mountain?
3. What young orphan who was talented at fixing cars did Mortenson want to help in Part 1: Chapter 5?
4. What is the second largest branch of Islam?
5. Where was Sarfraz Khan shot and permanently disfigured while in the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mortenson hire Sarfraz Khan as in Part 1: Chapter 4?
2. What information did Sarfraz Khan give to Mortenson when they met in Part 1: Chapter 2 about the region?
3. What obstacles for Mortenson are presented in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4?
4. Where in Afghanistan did Mortenson travel in the beginning of Part 1: Chapter 6?
5. What important elements are introduced in Part 1: Chapters 1 and 2 regarding the setting of the narrative?
6. What was the impact of the Newsweek article in Part 1: Chapter 6? Where was Mortenson taken?
7. How and when did the Taliban rise to power in Afghanistan? What laws did they enact?
8. What other works has Greg Mortenson written? What charity did he help form?
9. What led to Sarfraz Khan's disfigurement? What skills did he possess?
10. How was the meeting between Sadhar Khan and Mortenson described in Part 1: Chapter 4?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)