|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mortenson spend his early childhood and adolescence?
2. In addition to opiates, Afghanistan is also the largest producer of what drug in the world?
3. Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time was written by Greg Mortenson and what author?
(a) Jonathan Franzen.
(b) Stieg Larsson.
(c) Karl Marlantes.
(d) David Oliver Relin.
4. When did the fall of the communist Mohammad Najibullah-regime take place?
5. What is the Arabic word for any type of educational institution, whether secular or religious?
Short Answer Questions
1. Under Taliban law, girls were allowed neither to work nor to be educated after the age of what?
2. Into what areas does CAI specialize in going into first to establish schools?
3. From what country is it the most hazardous to reach K2?
4. What is an international service-learning program sponsored by the Central Asia Institute that "helps educate American children about the world to show them they can make a difference one penny at a time"?
5. What is the second largest branch of Islam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles did CAI face in building within Afghanistan in Part 1: Chapter 5?
2. How was Kabul described in Mortenson's Afghanistan visit in Part 1: Chapter 3?
3. Where in Afghanistan did Mortenson travel in the beginning of Part 1: Chapter 6?
4. How and when did the Taliban rise to power in Afghanistan? What laws did they enact?
5. What other works has Greg Mortenson written? What charity did he help form?
6. Who are the Kirghiz people? Where do they live?
7. How did Sarfraz Khan prove to be an asset to Mortenson in Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4?
8. What did Mortenson hire Sarfraz Khan as in Part 1: Chapter 4?
9. Where did Sarfraz Khan take Mortenson in Part 1: Chapter 2? Whom did they meet there?
10. What had led to a flood of donations for CAI in Part 1: Chapter 5? What did the money afford them the ability to build?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)