|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the approximate population of Faizabad?
2. From what country is it the most hazardous to reach K2?
(d) United States.
3. What Kirghiz leader did Mortenson meet in Part 1: Chapter 6?
(a) Abdul Rashid Khan.
(b) Sadhar Khan.
(c) Sarfraz Khan.
(d) Wohid Khan.
4. In Part 1: Chapter 5, CAI had just received a flood of donations due to an article that appeared in what periodical?
(a) Newsweek Magazine.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) Parade Magazine.
5. What is the second largest branch of Islam?
(a) Sunni Islam.
(b) Shia Islam.
(c) Shukran Islam.
(d) Sokkar Islam.
6. What minister of finance told Mortenson of Afghanistan's overwhelming need for money and the lack of funds received as promised from the American government in Part 1: Chapter 3?
(a) Farooq Wardak.
(b) Mohammad Mustafa Mastoor.
(c) Dr. Suraya Dalil.
(d) Dr. Ashraf Ghani.
7. Whose support would Mortenson have to gain in Badakshan in Part 1: Chapter 4?
(a) Haji Kamran.
(b) Nazo Tokhi.
(c) Sadhar Khan.
(d) Mohammed Omar.
8. How old was Greg Mortenson when his family moved to Minnesota in the 1970s?
9. In addition to opiates, Afghanistan is also the largest producer of what drug in the world?
10. What village council or meeting must take place whenever a major decision is to be made within or for the people of a village in Afghanistan?
11. When was Greg Mortenson born?
12. In Sarhad, Mortenson was touched by the excitement of the students, especially a young girl who had been left disabled due to what disease?
(d) Yellow Fever.
13. Where did Greg Mortenson serve in the U.S. Army after high school?
14. When did the Iranian Revolution take place?
15. What is a non-written ethical code and traditional lifestyle which the indigenous Pashtun people from Afghanistan and Pakistan follow?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bantu language did Greg Mortenson learn fluently as a child?
2. Faizabad is the provincial capital and largest city in what province?
3. When did the War in Afghanistan begin with the United States invasion?
4. Under what Soviet leader did the Soviet war in Afghanistan come to an end?
5. What name refers to an Afghan freedom fighter?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)