|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name given to one of Asia's two principal areas of illicit opium production, located at the crossroads of Central, South, and Western Asia?
(a) The Red Square.
(b) The Silver Wedge.
(c) The Golden Crescent.
(d) The Brown Octogon.
2. Opium production in Afghanistan has been on the rise since the United States occupation started in what year?
3. Sarfraz was pathological about avoiding letting anyone know what in Part 1: Chapter 5?
(a) When his birthdays was.
(b) Where his family lived.
(c) Where they were traveling.
(d) His true religion.
4. From what country is it the most hazardous to reach K2?
(c) United States.
5. What area of around 367,000 square miles that overlaps the mountains of four countries of Southeast Asia (Burma, Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand) is one of Asia's two main illicit opium-producing areas?
(a) The Golden Triangle.
(b) The Emerald Trinagle.
(c) The Ruby Crescent.
(d) The Silver Crescent.
6. What village council or meeting must take place whenever a major decision is to be made within or for the people of a village in Afghanistan?
7. What United States President signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul?
(a) Gerald Ford.
(b) Richard Nixon.
(c) Jimmy Carter.
(d) John F. Kennedy.
8. What is the largest branch of Islam?
(a) Sokkar Islam.
(b) Shukran Islam.
(c) Shia Islam.
(d) Sunni Islam.
9. What does NGO stand for?
(a) Native governmental order.
(b) Non-governmental organization.
(c) National government operation.
(d) Normal government operations.
10. When was Greg Mortenson born?
11. When did the Soviet war in Afghanistan begin?
12. When did Greg Mortenson first meet Sarfraz Khan?
13. Whose support would Mortenson have to gain in Badakshan in Part 1: Chapter 4?
(a) Haji Kamran.
(b) Mohammed Omar.
(c) Sadhar Khan.
(d) Nazo Tokhi.
14. When did the Panjdeh Incident take place?
15. What is the highest of civil awards and decorations given by the Government of Pakistan for the highest degree of service to the country and nation of Pakistan?
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to opiates, Afghanistan is also the largest producer of what drug in the world?
2. What is a non-written ethical code and traditional lifestyle which the indigenous Pashtun people from Afghanistan and Pakistan follow?
3. What river is formed by the junction of the Vakhsh and Panj rivers?
4. What name refers to an Afghan freedom fighter?
5. What Bantu language did Greg Mortenson learn fluently as a child?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)