|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stoner describe his relationship with Edith after beginning an affair with Katherine?
2. What does Stoner refuse to let anyone do during his questioning of Walker in his oral examination?
3. Who tells Stoner that he should be the one insulted by Charles Walker's presentation in Chapter IX?
4. What does Stoner say opposed him and Katherine being together and that they were proving wrong?
5. How does Stoner begin looking at the value of his life in Chapter XI?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William's actions after Katherine drops off her dissertation for him to read.
2. How do William and Katherine begin their love affair with one another?
3. How does William react when Finch suggests he pass Walker because he could lose his job?
4. How is the set-up of Charles Walker's oral examinations described?
5. How does William begin questioning the value of his life in Chapter XI?
6. How does Edith cause Grace to not be able to spend time with William as a child?
7. What is the nature of William's conversation with Lomax when he tries to mend their relationship over the Charles Walker situation?
8. How does Charles Walker react when William threatens to fail him from his seminar?
9. How does William react when Finch asks him if he wanted to be the new head of the English department?
10. How is William and Katherine's week away in the Ozarks described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of teaching that is portrayed in the book through characters like Archer Sloane and William Stoner. How do these characters' teaching styles evolve over the course of the book and what motivates these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast William and Edith's parenting style in the book. What motivates each of these character's parenting styles in the book and are they successful parents to Grace?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of family is one presented several times throughout the book. Part 1.) What kind of relationship did William have with his parents and what impact did this relationship have on his actions later in life? Part 2.) How is Edith's view of family flawed due to her experiences with her family growing up? Part 3.) Considering William and Edith's family lives, how does their creation of their own family appear somewhat ironic and why is this significant?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)