|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine do after she resigns from the university?
2. What does Stoner realize with shock after he begins having out-of-body experiences regularly?
3. How does Stoner describe his relationship with Edith after beginning an affair with Katherine?
4. Who begins questioning Walker during his oral examination that dashes Stoner's hopes for him?
5. What year does Stoner note the Nazis engaging in the Spanish Civil War in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is William and Katherine's week away in the Ozarks described?
2. How is William and Katherine's affair described at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
3. How does Edith's social life change after her father's death?
4. Describe William's actions after Katherine drops off her dissertation for him to read.
5. Why does William's relationship with Katherine end?
6. How does William find ways to see Katherine after he reviewed her dissertation?
7. How does William's teaching schedule change after Lomax is appointed chair of the English department?
8. How is William's first out-of-body experience described in the book?
9. How does Charles Walker arrive to his first class with William?
10. How does William begin questioning the value of his life in Chapter XI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of dedication that is portrayed in the book. Why does William show such dedication to Edith, especially during his relationship with Katherine, considering the turmoil and challenges he experiences in his home life? What is telling about his nature based on his dedication to his family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of sympathy that is portrayed in the book. Why does the author portray characters like William, Charles, and Hollis as sympathetic? What might he wish for the reader to learn about the nature of this concept based on the portrayal of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of farm life in the book. How is the way of life of William's parents on the farm different from what he finds in college and what did farm life prevent William from experiencing out of life that he found elsewhere?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)