|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Stoner consistently find himself happiest in?
2. Whose house does Stoner initially meet Edith at?
3. What is the name of Stoner's friend who is a mediocre intellect who is in the English department out of convenience?
4. What day of the week does Stoner have a meeting with his two college friends?
5. What state is the protagonist from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is William's study of English described over the three years he studies at the University of Missouri?
2. How is William and Edith's first time making love described?
3. How does Sloane react when William suggests enlisting in WWI?
4. How is William's first meeting with Edith's parents described?
5. How is William and Lomax's conversation described at William's housewarming party?
6. How do William's parents react when he tells them his plans to obtain a PhD in English?
7. How does William learn about the new agriculture program at the University of Missouri?
8. How has Edith changed when she returns home from her father's funeral?
9. How is Hollis Lomax first described in the book?
10. How does William tell his parents about continuing to study English in college rather than agriculture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of marriage in the book. What does William wish to get out of being married despite showing little passion for anything besides his education? Does he feel it's just a duty he must fulfill to fit in or does he truly find love in Edith?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Katherine and Edith in the book. How might William consider Katherine everything he wished for Edith to be and what is holding Edith back from being that person for him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast William and Edith's parenting style in the book. What motivates each of these character's parenting styles in the book and are they successful parents to Grace?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)