|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins taking care of Edith when she has her first breakdown during their marriage?
2. Who views the University as a center for knowledge and enlightenment?
3. How old is the protagonist when he decides to go to college?
4. How long does Edith stay in bed after having a baby?
5. What does Stoner become immersed in a passion for as a college student?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Edith changed when she returns home from her father's funeral?
2. How is William's first meeting with Edith's parents described?
3. How does William tell his parents about continuing to study English in college rather than agriculture?
4. How is William's experience in his first English class described?
5. How is William's first meeting with Edith described in the book?
6. How are William's meetings with Finch and Masters first described in the book?
7. How does Sloane react when William suggests enlisting in WWI?
8. How do Edith's actions towards William change when she decides she wants a baby?
9. How is William and Edith's first night together as a married couple described?
10. Why does Edith's father commit suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of teaching that is portrayed in the book through characters like Archer Sloane and William Stoner. How do these characters' teaching styles evolve over the course of the book and what motivates these changes?
Essay Topic 2
The author often places emphasis on the concept of war in various parts of the book. Part 1.) Discuss Archer Sloane's views of the war and examine the impact it had on his psyche in the book. Part 2.) How does William's view of war change from World War I and World War II, and how does this mirror Sloane's feelings towards war? Part 3.) Considering this book was published during the Vietnam War, what message might the author be giving about war in his portrayal of it in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of sexuality presented in the book. Part 1.) How is William's view of sexuality different with Edith than from his relationship with Katherine? Part 2.) What is he able to learn about the connection sexuality has with the mind from his relationship with Katherine?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)