|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edith lie in bed waiting for Stoner for hours in Chapter V?
2. Where did Edith cancel plans for in order to marry Stoner?
3. Where does Edith travel to after her father's death?
4. What is the name of the family the protagonist stays with when he first goes to college?
5. What is the name of Stoner's friend who is a mediocre intellect who is in the English department out of convenience?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is William's marriage proposal to Edith described?
2. Why does Edith's father commit suicide?
3. How are William's meetings with Finch and Masters first described in the book?
4. How does William react after being offered a teaching job at the University of Missouri?
5. How is William's early life on his family farm described for the first time in the book?
6. How do William's parents react when he tells them his plans to obtain a PhD in English?
7. How does William learn about the new agriculture program at the University of Missouri?
8. How is William and Edith's first time making love described?
9. How is Edith described after she gives birth to Grace?
10. How is William's study of English described over the three years he studies at the University of Missouri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Katherine and Edith in the book. How might William consider Katherine everything he wished for Edith to be and what is holding Edith back from being that person for him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of the father-daughter relationship in the book, namely through the characters of Edith and her father. What impact did Edith's relationship with her father have on her erratic behavior later in life, especially towards her husband William?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's portrayal of sexuality presented in the book. Part 1.) How is William's view of sexuality different with Edith than from his relationship with Katherine? Part 2.) What is he able to learn about the connection sexuality has with the mind from his relationship with Katherine?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)