|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stoner become fixated on during the war when he is an undergraduate?
2. Why do Edith and Stoner cut their honeymoon short?
3. How does Edith react when Stoner asks her for sex?
4. What program does the protagonist originally go to college to study?
5. What does Edith inform Stoner she wants that surprises him in Chapter V?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edith act just after her and William are married?
2. How is William and Lomax's conversation described at William's housewarming party?
3. How is William's experience in his first English class described?
4. How does William learn about the new agriculture program at the University of Missouri?
5. How is Hollis Lomax first described in the book?
6. How is William's first meeting with Edith described in the book?
7. How is William and Edith's first night together as a married couple described?
8. How do William and Edith buy their first house?
9. How does William react after being offered a teaching job at the University of Missouri?
10. What is the nature of the letter William receives from Edith after he proposes to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's portrayal of farm life in the book. How is the way of life of William's parents on the farm different from what he finds in college and what did farm life prevent William from experiencing out of life that he found elsewhere?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of death is one that is portrayed through many characters in the book including David Masters, Archer Sloane, and eventually William Stoner. Considering the evolution of death through these three characters, what might the author be saying about the nature of death and its impact on others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of the father-daughter relationship in the book, namely through the characters of Edith and her father. What impact did Edith's relationship with her father have on her erratic behavior later in life, especially towards her husband William?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)