|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives late for Stoner's seminar in Chapter IX?
(a) Charles Walker.
(b) Hollis Lomax.
(c) Ed Frye.
(d) Katherine Driscoll.
2. How does Stoner begin looking at the value of his life in Chapter XI?
(c) In an abstract way.
3. How does Katherine react after Stoner tells her he could lose his job by being with her?
4. What does Stoner find unfavorable at work after Lomax takes over the English department?
(a) He loses his office.
(b) He only has one class.
(c) His teaching schedule.
(d) He has less seminars.
5. What does Stoner come down with in Chapter XIV?
(c) Severe flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author note a change in at the beginning of Chapter VIII?
2. How does Walker react to Stoner when he is threatened to be failed in his seminar?
3. Who does Lomax threaten to fire after finding out about Stoner's affair?
4. How many seminars are students required to take to finish a doctorate at Stoner's university?
5. What does Katherine wish for Stoner to do for her when she visits him in Chapter XII?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William begin questioning the value of his life in Chapter XI?
2. How does William react when Finch asks him if he wanted to be the new head of the English department?
3. Why does William's relationship with Katherine end?
4. How does Edith cause Grace to not be able to spend time with William as a child?
5. How is William and Katherine's affair described at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
6. How does Charles Walker arrive to his first class with William?
7. What is the nature of William's conversation with Lomax when he tries to mend their relationship over the Charles Walker situation?
8. How is William and Katherine's week away in the Ozarks described?
9. How does William find ways to see Katherine after he reviewed her dissertation?
10. How does William's relationship with Edith change after he begins having an affair with Katherine?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)