|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stoner begin spending his time after Edith remodels his study?
(a) A park.
(b) The library.
(c) The university.
(d) The beach.
2. Which of the following excuses does Stoner not use to see Katherine after helping her with her schoolwork in Chapter XII?
(a) Helps with translations.
(b) Brings her lunch.
(c) Gives her books.
(d) Offers advice for her dissertation.
3. Who puzzles over Lomax's devotion to Walker in Chapter X?
(b) Stoner and Finch.
(c) Frye and Stoner.
(d) Katherine and Finch.
4. How does Lomax respond to Stoner's threats of teaching his classes wrong in Chapter XIV?
(a) Fires him.
(b) Moves his office.
(c) Gives him his schedule back.
(d) Continues giving him poor classes.
5. What does Katherine wish for Stoner to do for her when she visits him in Chapter XII?
(a) Read her dissertation.
(b) Hire her as an assistant.
(c) Date her.
(d) Help her with a paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Stoner begin teaching radically and causing complaints from students?
2. Who questions Stoner about his conduct against Walker in Chapter X?
3. What kind of seminar does Stoner allow a student to take in Chapter IX?
4. Whose schedule is made so that Stoner never sees them in Chapter XI?
5. What is the name of the head of the freshman English department that complains to Lomax about Stoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William react to Katherine Driscoll's presentation in his seminar?
2. How is the set-up of Charles Walker's oral examinations described?
3. How does Lomax react after William refuses to pass Charles Walker?
4. How does William's relationship with Edith change after he begins having an affair with Katherine?
5. How does William react when Finch suggests he pass Walker because he could lose his job?
6. How does Edith's social life change after her father's death?
7. How does Finch try and help William not lose his job over his affair with Katherine?
8. How is William's first meeting with Charles Walker described?
9. How does William find ways to see Katherine after he reviewed her dissertation?
10. How do William and Katherine begin their love affair with one another?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)