|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stoner say he has no feelings of in regards to the war?
2. Who encourages the protagonist to get his PhD?
(a) Ed Frye.
(b) Hollis Lomax.
(c) Archer Sloane.
(d) David Masters.
3. What does Stoner become fixated on during the war when he is an undergraduate?
(b) The military.
(c) His studies.
4. What does Edith do just after her and Stoner are married?
(c) Locks herself in a bathroom.
5. What is the name of the protagonist's first English teacher?
(a) Archer Sloane.
(b) Hollis Lomax.
(c) David Masters.
(d) Gordon Finch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first tells Stoner that he will be enlisting in the war while they are in college?
2. What does the protagonist's first English teacher expose about him in class?
3. What is the name of the new assistant professor hired after Sloane's death?
4. What can the protagonist's parents not do about his decision to get a PhD?
5. Who views the University as a center for knowledge and enlightenment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is William described just before his wedding to Edith?
2. How is William and Edith's first time making love described?
3. How is William's marriage proposal to Edith described?
4. How does William come to decide to get a PhD in English?
5. How does William learn about the new agriculture program at the University of Missouri?
6. What is the nature of the letter William receives from Edith after he proposes to her?
7. How do Edith's actions towards William change when she decides she wants a baby?
8. How is William and Edith's first night together as a married couple described?
9. How does William tell his parents about continuing to study English in college rather than agriculture?
10. Describe Edith's outburst during dinner with Finch and his fiancée in Chapter V.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)