|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject does the protagonist teach in college?
2. What does Edith inform Stoner she wants that surprises him in Chapter V?
(a) A divorce.
(b) A baby.
(c) A job.
(d) A new home.
3. Who views the University as a center for knowledge and enlightenment?
(a) Archer Sloane.
(b) William Stoner.
(c) David Masters.
(d) Hollis Lomax.
4. What is the name of the family the protagonist stays with when he first goes to college?
(a) The Wilsons.
(b) The Footes.
(c) The Smiths.
(d) The Williams.
5. What is the name of the protagonist's first English teacher?
(a) Hollis Lomax.
(b) Gordon Finch.
(c) David Masters.
(d) Archer Sloane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of setting did the protagonist grow up in?
2. How long does Edith stay in bed after having a baby?
3. How does Edith react when Stoner asks her for sex?
4. What does the protagonist do during his summers in college?
5. What does Edith do after her and Stoner make love the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edith act just after her and William are married?
2. How is William's first meeting with Edith described in the book?
3. How does Sloane react when William suggests enlisting in WWI?
4. How is William's study of English described over the three years he studies at the University of Missouri?
5. How is Hollis Lomax first described in the book?
6. How do William and Edith buy their first house?
7. What is the nature of the letter William receives from Edith after he proposes to her?
8. How does William react after being offered a teaching job at the University of Missouri?
9. How is William's first meeting with Edith's parents described?
10. How is William's marriage proposal to Edith described?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)