|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is killed during combat in the war while Stoner is in college?
(a) Archer Sloane.
(b) Ed Frye.
(c) David Masters.
(d) Charles Walker.
2. How does the Great Depression initially impact Columbus?
(a) Slightly sets them back.
(b) It is unaffected.
(c) It is devastated.
(d) Very badly.
3. Where does Edith travel to after her father's death?
(a) New York.
(c) St. Louis.
4. How many days is Edith in labor?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 2 days.
5. What does Stoner do with his doctoral thesis when it is finished?
(b) Makes it into a book.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Publishes it in a magazine.
6. Who begins taking care of Edith when she has her first breakdown during their marriage?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
7. What is Edith's last name in the book?
8. What does Stoner begin remodeling in his new home?
(a) His basement study.
(b) His bathroom.
(c) The backyard.
(d) The kitchen.
9. Why do Edith and Stoner cut their honeymoon short?
(a) Edith's aunt died.
(b) To get settled into their apartment.
(c) William's father died.
(d) Edith became ill.
10. What kind of impression does the author note that the protagonist had on the memory of those who knew him?
11. What is the name of Stoner's friend who is a mediocre intellect who is in the English department out of convenience?
(a) David Masters.
(b) Charles Walker.
(c) Gordon Finch.
(d) Hollis Lomax.
12. Where is Edith from in the book?
(b) New York.
(d) St. Louis.
13. Where does Edith take Grace for a week for the first time alone with her?
(a) The beach.
(d) Her parents' house.
14. What role does Stoner consistently find himself happiest in?
15. What is the name of the new assistant professor hired after Sloane's death?
(a) David Masters.
(b) Katherine Driscoll.
(c) Hollis Lomax.
(d) Edith Bostwick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the protagonist's first English teacher expose about him in class?
2. How does Edith act around Stoner when others are present?
3. Who offers Stoner a job at the university as a professor?
4. How does Stoner feel after being offered a professor job at the university?
5. What kind of setting did the protagonist grow up in?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)