|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war is beginning in Chapter II?
(a) World War I.
(b) Cold War.
(c) World War II.
(d) Vietnam War.
2. What is Edith's last name in the book?
3. What program does the protagonist originally go to college to study?
4. What role does Stoner consistently find himself happiest in?
5. What is the name of the college the protagonist attended?
(a) Harvard University.
(c) University of Mississippi.
(d) University of Missouri.
6. Where does Stoner sleep on his first night with Edith after they're married?
(a) In the bed with Edith.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In the guest room.
(d) The couch.
7. How does Edith's father die in the book?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) A heart attack.
(d) A car wreck.
8. Why do Edith and Stoner cut their honeymoon short?
(a) Edith's aunt died.
(b) Edith became ill.
(c) William's father died.
(d) To get settled into their apartment.
9. Where did Edith cancel plans for in order to marry Stoner?
(d) South America.
10. What does news of never penetrate Stoner as it does other students when he is in college?
(a) The war.
11. Who is killed during combat in the war while Stoner is in college?
(a) Ed Frye.
(b) Archer Sloane.
(c) Charles Walker.
(d) David Masters.
12. What can the protagonist's parents not do about his decision to get a PhD?
13. Where do Edith and Stoner go on their honeymoon?
(b) New York.
(d) St. Louis.
14. What is the name of the book's author?
(a) Dan Brown.
(b) John Williams.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) C.S. Lewis.
15. What is the name of Stoner's friend who is a mediocre intellect who is in the English department out of convenience?
(a) Charles Walker.
(b) Hollis Lomax.
(c) David Masters.
(d) Gordon Finch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Stoner and his two college friends have their weekly meetings?
2. Who dies at the beginning of Chapter VII?
3. How many years does the protagonist study his new subject in college?
4. How are the protagonist's attempts at telling his parents he is getting a PhD described?
5. What does Edith inform Stoner she wants that surprises him in Chapter V?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)