|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
2. What happened when Hagar didn't have enough money to send John to college?
3. Hagar's new roommate is Sandra Wong, in the semi-private room of the hospital, is an Asian girl. Where does Hagar think she descended from?
4. Murray Lees says the watchman's dogs would have got him, if what hadn't been outside?
5. What reduces all people in the Manawaka community to the same desperate level?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Hagar sees that Arlene is making the same mistakes she did. How is this true?
2. Compare Hagar and Doris. Has their relationship changed during this book?
3. Having never said a kind word about Bram, why do you think Hagar tells Elva her husband had been very handsome?
4. What turns out to be Hagar's biggest character flaws?
5. What do you see creating distance and hardness between Hagar and her sons, as well as everyone else?
6. Hagar finds something in common with Elva, a recognition. How was this foreshadowed at her first visit to the nursing home?
7. Describe the irony, at the end of Chapter 6, of Bram being buried in the Currie plot, and having the Shipley name carved on the other side of the Currie stone.
8. In Chapter 7, Hagar's fear of the dark is admitted. Why do you think she has never told anyone she was afraid of the dark?
9. In Chapter 9, while at the hospital, Hagar finally starts to notice that she is different from other people, in what way?
10. Why do you think Hagar does not allow herself to cry in front of strangers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how Hagar views John and Marvin at birth, as children, and as men. Describe how John and Marvin really are, and how Hagars blindness in symbolic to the stone angel's.
Essay Topic 2
Hagar's possessions are very important to her.
Part 1) Name some of her possessions and why they are important.
Part 2) What do her possessions trigger in the book when she sees them?
Part 3) What are these possessions worth to Hagar?
Essay Topic 3
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires" meaning his mother who needed, but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home and could no longer keep up with the workload because of her health. What would you have done if you were Marvin? Would you have changed your mind at any point in the novel?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)