|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did John continue to lose jobs?
2. What causes Hagar to become nauseous and then fall in the woods?
3. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
4. What happened when Hagar didn't have enough money to send John to college?
5. Why does Hagar rarely visit her first son, Marvin, who lives nearby?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Hagar is concerned about intruders coming into the house where she is at the cannery. She thinks that Bram would have taken care of anyone, if he had been there. What do you think this says about how she felt about Bram as a protector?
2. In the hospital, how is Hagar's soft food diet ironic?
3. How would you describe Mr. Murray Lees in Chapter 8?
4. Make comparisons between John and his own liquor made from potato peelings.
5. Why does Hagar try to be helpful to her roommate?
6. What is Hagar waiting for in Chapter 10, and in what other ways has she waited in the book?
7. In Hagar complaining that Arlene is always at the house, and then wishing she had not said it afterward, what does this say about Hagar?
8. In Chapter 7, Hagar's fear of the dark is admitted. Why do you think she has never told anyone she was afraid of the dark?
9. Lottie Dreiser does not remember the incident described about the chicks. What does this say about Hagar as a narrator?
10. In the hospital what is the ultimate humiliation for Hagar, that causes her to have to give up total control? Does she accept this gracefully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that pride is Hagar's downfall. Site several examples. Was she prideful in her dress, speech, and/or attitude? How did she treat the people around her?
Essay Topic 2
Hagar notes that she is different from other people. Describe how she does not understand the relationship between:
Part 1) Marvin and Doris.
Part 2) Tom and Elva.
Essay Topic 3
Hagar's speaks sharply to her sons and is not able to comfort or praise them. Was Hagar comforted or praised as a child by anyone? How did her father comfort or praise her? How did this effect the way she dealt with her sons?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)