|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hagar complains about Dr. Tappen, who is he?
2. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
3. What did Arlene have to do in order to bring John home?
4. What does Hagar tell Mr. Oatley about why she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
5. What caused the death of John and Arlene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hagar's view toward religion in Chapter 8?
2. What is Hagar waiting for in Chapter 10, and in what other ways has she waited in the book?
3. Lottie Dreiser does not remember the incident described about the chicks. What does this say about Hagar as a narrator?
4. Why do you think Hagar does not allow herself to cry in front of strangers?
5. In the hospital what is the ultimate humiliation for Hagar, that causes her to have to give up total control? Does she accept this gracefully?
6. In Hagar complaining that Arlene is always at the house, and then wishing she had not said it afterward, what does this say about Hagar?
7. In Chapter 7, Hagar's fear of the dark is admitted. Why do you think she has never told anyone she was afraid of the dark?
8. In Chapter 7, Hagar sees that Arlene is making the same mistakes she did. How is this true?
9. What do Mr. Murray Lees and Hagar have in common?
10. Hagar finds something in common with Elva, a recognition. How was this foreshadowed at her first visit to the nursing home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is said that pride is Hagar's downfall. Site several examples. Was she prideful in her dress, speech, and/or attitude? How did she treat the people around her?
Essay Topic 2
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
Essay Topic 3
The stone angel in the cemetery is very symbolic throughout the novel.
Part 1) Describe the stone angel's significance in the cemetery?
Part 2) It has been carved without eyeballs, why is that important?
Part 3) How is Hagar like the stone angel at the beginning of the novel and at the end?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)