|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Bram burried?
2. What is Hagar afraid of, and never admits to anyone?
3. What causes Hagar to become nauseous and then fall in the woods?
4. In the privacy of her own bedroom, why didn't Hagar cry for her dead son?
5. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think putting on pink lipstick does to the stone angel?
2. Why does Hagar try to be helpful to her roommate?
3. Describe the irony, at the end of Chapter 6, of Bram being buried in the Currie plot, and having the Shipley name carved on the other side of the Currie stone.
4. In the hospital what is the ultimate humiliation for Hagar, that causes her to have to give up total control? Does she accept this gracefully?
5. What is Hagar waiting for in Chapter 10, and in what other ways has she waited in the book?
6. How is John's character forming in Chapter 6?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Hagar is concerned about intruders coming into the house where she is at the cannery. She thinks that Bram would have taken care of anyone, if he had been there. What do you think this says about how she felt about Bram as a protector?
8. Hagar's need to do things herself and not accept help is consistent throughout. How is it depicted at the end of Chapter 10?
9. What do Mr. Murray Lees and Hagar have in common?
10. In Chapter 9, while at the hospital, Hagar finally starts to notice that she is different from other people, in what way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires" meaning his mother who needed, but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home and could no longer keep up with the workload because of her health. What would you have done if you were Marvin? Would you have changed your mind at any point in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Hagar's emotional restraint is seen throughout the novel. Name two instances where she exhibits emotional restraint and how she could have done things differently and what the outcome could have been.
Essay Topic 3
What do the wild flowers in the cemetery reflect in Hagar? In what ways are the alike? Please provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)