|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar think about the amenities of the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
2. What is the name of the man Hagar thinks she recognizes at the small summer house?
3. What did the young people do in the Manawaka winters?
4. Who does John's manhood remind Hagar of?
5. How did Bram Shipley spend his and Hagar's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
2. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
3. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
4. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
5. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
6. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
7. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
8. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
9. Compare the birth of Marvin the the birth of John, and Hagar's feeling with both.
10. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's emotional restraint is seen throughout the novel. Name two instances where she exhibits emotional restraint and how she could have done things differently and what the outcome could have been.
Essay Topic 2
How is the name Hagar significant? How does Hagar feel about her name? Who are the two people in the novel who call Hagar by her name and why is it worth noting?
Essay Topic 3
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires" meaning his mother who needed, but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home and could no longer keep up with the workload because of her health. What would you have done if you were Marvin? Would you have changed your mind at any point in the novel?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)