|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was it mentioned that Bram would usually work?
2. Who was Hagar's father?
3. What is the stone angel?
4. How much older is Bram Shipley than Hagar?
5. How does Hagar feel, physically, as she climbs the steps to the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, how does Hagar see herself?
2. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
3. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
4. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
5. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
6. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
7. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
8. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
9. Toward the end of Chapter 4, needs cash in order to leave Brampton Shipley. How does Hagar get the cash and in doing so give up her pride?
10. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel we see Hagar throw herself into work, for example after marriage and at Mr. Oately's. Why do you think she does this?
Essay Topic 2
Hagar's emotional restraint is seen throughout the novel. Name two instances where she exhibits emotional restraint and how she could have done things differently and what the outcome could have been.
Essay Topic 3
History repeats itself. In what ways is Arlene making the same mistakes Hagar made at her age?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)