|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hagar know her father is pleased with her?
2. What was Hagar's occupation at Mr. Oatley's house?
3. What comment does Mrs. Steiner make causing Hagar to wonder how she knows so much about her?
4. What is the stone angel?
5. How is the Shipley house described?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the symbolic use of wings portrayed in Chapter 3?
2. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 5, it is mentioned how Hagar takes action to affect her life, one time in the present and one in her past. What were those two instances?
4. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
5. When Hagar is looking back on her life, in Chapter 3, do you think she has any regrets?
6. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
7. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
8. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
9. In Chapter 2, Hagar's father reaches out his hand to her with heartfelt emotion. However, she rejects him both times. Why do you think that is?
10. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare John Shipley to his father Bram.
Part 1) In what ways are they alike in the beginning?
Parts2) How are they more alike toward the end of the novel?
Part 3) When do you think Hagar notices their similarities?
Essay Topic 2
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
Essay Topic 3
Hagar's speaks sharply to her sons and is not able to comfort or praise them. Was Hagar comforted or praised as a child by anyone? How did her father comfort or praise her? How did this effect the way she dealt with her sons?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)