|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hagar feel about horses?
2. How does Hagar say good-bye to her brother, Matt, when she leaves for boarding school?
3. What do Marvin and Doris do when they want to go out to the movies?
4. What happened when Hagar would dance hard at parties?
5. How does Hagar comment on Bram Shipley's dancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, how does Hagar see herself?
2. Hagar is obviously unwilling to give in to death. How is that seen in Chapter 3?
3. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
4. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
5. Why is Hagar's name significant?
6. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
7. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
8. Compare the birth of Marvin the the birth of John, and Hagar's feeling with both.
9. How is Hagar's emotional restraint again depicted in Chapter 4?
10. When Hagar's brother Daniel is dying, Matt begs her to put on their mother's old plaid shawl to comfort Daniel. Why do you think Hagar is unable to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you see John Shipley's death being forshadowed in Chapters 6, 7, and 8?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Hagar describes events that foreshadow John's demise. What are some of these events and do you think Hagar could have acted differently to affect the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Hagar's possessions are very important to her.
Part 1) Name some of her possessions and why they are important.
Part 2) What do her possessions trigger in the book when she sees them?
Part 3) What are these possessions worth to Hagar?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)