|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the young people do in the Manawaka winters?
2. How does Hagar say good-bye to her brother, Matt, when she leaves for boarding school?
3. What is the name of the children's verse that implies if Hagar had the wings of an angel or a crow, she could fly up high and spit on the people below?
4. At the fish cannery, Hagar seeks shelter in the small watchman's house. She comments it does not have any paint, a fact that would annoy Marvin. Why would that annoy Marvin?
5. What does Marvin mean when he comments of being pulled between "two fires?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hagar's name significant?
2. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
3. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
4. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
5. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
6. Compare the birth of Marvin the the birth of John, and Hagar's feeling with both.
7. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
8. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
9. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
10. When Hagar's brother Daniel is dying, Matt begs her to put on their mother's old plaid shawl to comfort Daniel. Why do you think Hagar is unable to do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's speaks sharply to her sons and is not able to comfort or praise them. Was Hagar comforted or praised as a child by anyone? How did her father comfort or praise her? How did this effect the way she dealt with her sons?
Essay Topic 2
It is said that pride is Hagar's downfall. Site several examples. Was she prideful in her dress, speech, and/or attitude? How did she treat the people around her?
Essay Topic 3
What do the wild flowers in the cemetery reflect in Hagar? In what ways are the alike? Please provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)