Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hagar respond when Mrs. Steiner says she hope to see Hagar again?
2. How did Hagar feel about John at his birth?
3. What does the stone angel remind Hagar of?
4. How much time passed before Jason Currie visited his first grandson?
5. What is Bram Shipley's reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. John's death impacts Hagar deeply. Even so, she was not able to show the emotion until she drinks wine with Mr. Lee. Why do you think that was?
2. What do we learn about Hagar when she complains that Arlene is always at the house and then afterward, wishes she had not said it.
3. Having never said a kind word about Bram, why do you think Hagar tells Elva that her husband had been very handsome?
4. How is the symbolic use of wings portrayed in Chapter 3?
5. Describe the irony at the end of Chapter 6 of Bram being buried in the Currie plot, and having the Shipley name carved on the other side of the Currie stone.
6. Compare Hagar and Doris. Has their relationship changed during this book?
7. How is John's character forming in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 7, Hagar admits to her fear of the dark. Why do you think she has never told anyone she was afraid of the dark?
9. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
10. What is Hagar's view toward religion in Chapter 8?
Essay Topic 1
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
Essay Topic 2
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires": his mother who needed assistance but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home because she could no longer keep up with the workload associated with caring for Hagar. Why did Marvin make his final decision for his mother to go to the nursing home? Whose best interests did he have in mind? Did Hagar's treatment of him influence his decision? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel Hagar describes events that foreshadow John's demise. What are some of these events and do you think Hagar could have acted differently to change the outcome?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)