|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Hagar's sons does she say is like her father, Jason Currie?
2. Who was Hagar's father?
3. How much older is Bram Shipley than Hagar?
4. Of what heritage are the Curries?
5. What comment does Mrs. Steiner make causing Hagar to wonder how she knows so much about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
2. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
3. In Chapter 5, it is mentioned how Hagar takes action to affect her life, one time in the present and one in her past. What were those two instances?
4. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
5. Compare the birth of Marvin the the birth of John, and Hagar's feeling with both.
6. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
7. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
8. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
9. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
10. When Hagar is looking back on her life, in Chapter 3, do you think she has any regrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how Hagar views John and Marvin at birth, as children, and as men. Describe how John and Marvin really are, and how Hagars blindness in symbolic to the stone angel's.
Essay Topic 2
It is said that pride is Hagar's downfall. Site several examples. Was she prideful in her dress, speech, and/or attitude? How did she treat the people around her?
Essay Topic 3
What do the wild flowers in the cemetery reflect in Hagar? In what ways are the alike? Please provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)