|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
2. What did Hagar fill the glass and silver wine decanter with?
3. How did Hagar feel about horses?
4. How does Hagar refer to the house when her, Marvin, and Doris leave Silverthreads?
5. Who is Doris' minister?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hagar's name significant?
2. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
3. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
4. How is the symbolic use of wings portrayed in Chapter 3?
5. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
6. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
7. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
8. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
9. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
10. In Chapter 1, how does Hagar see herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the wild flowers in the cemetery reflect in Hagar? In what ways are the alike? Please provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
Essay Topic 3
How is the name Hagar significant? How does Hagar feel about her name? Who are the two people in the novel who call Hagar by her name and why is it worth noting?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)