|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar sell to Lottie Telford for cash?
2. While seated on the veranda at Silverthreads Nursing Home, whose birth does Hagar remember?
3. How does Hagar feel about going to Silverthreads Nursing Home?
4. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
5. After the bus drops Hagar off in Shadow Point and she purchases provisions at the service station, how does Hagar get to the fish cannery road?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
2. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
3. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
4. How is the symbolic use of wings portrayed in Chapter 3?
5. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
6. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
7. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
8. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
9. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
10. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar sites poetry throughout the novel, site the examples and their significance.
Essay Topic 2
Hagar's possessions are very important to her.
Part 1) Name some of her possessions and why they are important.
Part 2) What do her possessions trigger in the book when she sees them?
Part 3) What are these possessions worth to Hagar?
Essay Topic 3
Hagar's emotional restraint is seen throughout the novel. Name two instances where she exhibits emotional restraint and how she could have done things differently and what the outcome could have been.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)