|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hagar say good-bye to her brother, Matt, when she leaves for boarding school?
2. How did Hagar feel about John at his birth?
3. How does Hagar refer to the house when she, Marvin, and Doris leave Silverthreads?
4. What is the name of the lady that visits with Hagar at Silverthreads nursing home?
5. What caused Hagar to never attend church again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Hagar's feelings about going to the nursing home are similar to other elderly people? Why or why not?
2. Explain the irony of Hagar being moved to a semi-private hospital room.
3. In Chapter 5, it is mentioned how Hagar takes action to affect her life, one time in the present and once in her past. What were those two instances?
4. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
5. In Chapter 9, while at the hospital, in what way does Hagar finally starts to notice that she is different from other people?
6. Hagar's father's comments, as well as those of Lottie Dreiser about Bramptom Shipley only seem to fuel Hagar's desire to be with him. Why do you think that is?
7. Why do you think Hagar does not allow herself to cry in front of strangers?
8. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
9. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
10. Make comparisons between John and his own liquor made from potato peelings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar notes that she is different from other people. Describe how she does not understand the relationship between:
Part 1) Marvin and Doris.
Part 2) Tom and Elva.
Essay Topic 2
Compare John Shipley to his father, Bram.
Part 1) In what ways are they alike in the beginning?
Parts2) How are they more alike toward the end of the novel?
Part 3) When do you think Hagar notices their similarities?
Essay Topic 3
What do the wild flowers in the cemetery reflect in Hagar? In what ways are the alike? Please provide specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)