|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Hagar's brother's died in Chapter 1 and from what?
2. What did Hagar's father donate to the new church when she was a young girl?
3. What does Hagar do as she sits on the bed in the little building at Shadow Point?
4. Why did Bram receive a warning from a Mountie?
5. What does Hagar think about her son Marvin and his wife Doris?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, it is mentioned how Hagar takes action to affect her life, one time in the present and one in her past. What were those two instances?
2. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
3. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
4. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
5. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
6. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
7. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
8. In Chapter 1, how does Hagar see herself?
9. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
10. Why is Hagar's name significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's speaks sharply to her sons and is not able to comfort or praise them. Was Hagar comforted or praised as a child by anyone? How did her father comfort or praise her? How did this effect the way she dealt with her sons?
Essay Topic 2
Compare John Shipley to his father Bram.
Part 1) In what ways are they alike in the beginning?
Parts2) How are they more alike toward the end of the novel?
Part 3) When do you think Hagar notices their similarities?
Essay Topic 3
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires" meaning his mother who needed, but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home and could no longer keep up with the workload because of her health. What would you have done if you were Marvin? Would you have changed your mind at any point in the novel?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)