|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bram receive a warning from a Mountie?
2. What improvements did Bram make on the Shipley place?
3. While seated on the veranda at Silverthreads Nursing Home, whose birth does Hagar remember?
4. What kept impinging on the cemetery plots?
5. Which of Hagar's brother's died in Chapter 1 and from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
2. In Chapter 1, how does Hagar see herself?
3. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
4. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
5. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
6. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
7. When Hagar is looking back on her life, in Chapter 3, do you think she has any regrets?
8. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
9. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
10. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's speaks sharply to her sons and is not able to comfort or praise them. Was Hagar comforted or praised as a child by anyone? How did her father comfort or praise her? How did this effect the way she dealt with her sons?
Essay Topic 2
Hagar notes that she is different from other people. Describe how she does not understand the relationship between:
Part 1) Marvin and Doris.
Part 2) Tom and Elva.
Essay Topic 3
In her dying days, Hagar is prompted to try to help others. In what ways could she have helped others her entire life?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)