|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At her visit to Silverthreads, Hagar is seated on the veranda for a cup of tea. What does she think the tea tastes like?
2. What is the stone angel supposed to do?
3. What is Bram Shipley's reputation?
4. What two virtues does Hagar cite to John?
5. What do Marvin and Doris do when they want to go out to the movies?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
2. Hagar's need to do things herself and not accept help from others is consistent throughout the story. How is it depicted at the end of Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 9, while at the hospital, in what way does Hagar finally starts to notice that she is different from other people?
4. Make comparisons between John and his own liquor made from potato peelings.
5. Hagar finds something in common with Elva - they both think they recognize someone. How was this foreshadowed at her first visit to the nursing home?
6. Having never said a kind word about Bram, why do you think Hagar tells Elva that her husband had been very handsome?
7. Do you think Hagar's feelings about going to the nursing home are similar to other elderly people? Why or why not?
8. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
9. In the hospital ,what is the ultimate humiliation that causes Hagar to have to give up total control? Does she accept this gracefully?
10. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
Essay Topic 1
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires": his mother who needed assistance but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home because she could no longer keep up with the workload associated with caring for Hagar. Why did Marvin make his final decision for his mother to go to the nursing home? Whose best interests did he have in mind? Did Hagar's treatment of him influence his decision? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how Hagar views John and Marvin at birth, as children, and as men. Describe how John and Marvin really are, and how the stone angel symbolizes Hagar's views of her sons.
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)