|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John's manhood remind Hagar of?
2. After the bus drops Hagar off in Shadow Point and she purchases provisions at the service station, how does Hagar get to the fish cannery road?
3. What causes Hagar to cry on the bus ride home from Dr. Corby's office?
4. What does Hagar's father value?
5. Which of Hagar's brother's died in Chapter 1 and from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
2. Explain the irony of Hagar being moved to a semi-private hospital room.
3. Why does Hagar try to be helpful to her roommate?
4. Why do you think Hagar does not allow herself to cry in front of strangers?
5. Describe how Hagar feels physically and mentally in the beginning of Chapter 7.
6. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
7. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
8. What does Hagar's decision to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
9. What do you see that creates distance and hardness between Hagar and her sons, as well as everyone else?
10. What do we learn about Hagar when she complains that Arlene is always at the house and then afterward, wishes she had not said it.
Essay Topic 1
They say hindsight is 20/20. As an old woman, Hagar looks back and sees how her life could have turned out differently if she had acted differently. Name a way her life could have been different:
Part 1) as a girl.
Part 2) as a married woman.
Part 3) as a mother.
Part 4) as an old lady.
Essay Topic 2
Describe specific instances in which Hagar uses poetry during the novel. What is the significance of this?
Essay Topic 3
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires": his mother who needed assistance but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home because she could no longer keep up with the workload associated with caring for Hagar. Why did Marvin make his final decision for his mother to go to the nursing home? Whose best interests did he have in mind? Did Hagar's treatment of him influence his decision? If so, how?
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)