|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
2. How does Hagar feel about going to Silverthreads Nursing Home?
3. Who is Doris' minister?
4. What did Hagar see when she lifted the sultana barrel lid at her father's store?
5. On the bus ride home from Dr. Corby's office Hagar cries when a young lady offers her seat to her. What is Hagar still unable to cry for?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
2. How is Hagar's emotional restraint again depicted in Chapter 4?
3. When Hagar's brother Daniel is dying, Matt begs her to put on their mother's old plaid shawl to comfort Daniel. Why do you think Hagar is unable to do this?
4. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
5. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
6. When Hagar is looking back on her life, in Chapter 3, do you think she has any regrets?
7. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
8. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
9. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
10. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's emotional restraint is seen throughout the novel. Name two instances where she exhibits emotional restraint and how she could have done things differently and what the outcome could have been.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Hagar describes events that foreshadow John's demise. What are some of these events and do you think Hagar could have acted differently to affect the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
History repeats itself. In what ways is Arlene making the same mistakes Hagar made at her age?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)