|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was it mentioned that Bram would usually work?
2. What did Hagar fill the glass and silver wine decanter with?
3. How did Hagar feel about John at his birth?
4. When John is seven, what do the kids in town call his father?
5. Why did Bram receive a warning from a Mountie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
2. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
3. In Chapter 2, Hagar's father reaches out his hand to her with heartfelt emotion. However, she rejects him both times. Why do you think that is?
4. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
5. Compare the birth of Marvin the the birth of John, and Hagar's feeling with both.
6. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
7. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
8. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
9. How is the symbolic use of wings portrayed in Chapter 3?
10. How is Hagar's emotional restraint again depicted in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Hagar describes events that foreshadow John's demise. What are some of these events and do you think Hagar could have acted differently to affect the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
How is the name Hagar significant? How does Hagar feel about her name? Who are the two people in the novel who call Hagar by her name and why is it worth noting?
Essay Topic 3
Hagar sites poetry throughout the novel, site the examples and their significance.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)