|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hagar feel about going to Silverthreads Nursing Home?
2. After possibly embarrassing Doris at Dr. Corby's office by talking to loud, what does Hagar promise to do?
3. When John is seven, what do the kids in town call his father?
4. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
5. How is the Shipley house described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
2. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
3. Toward the end of Chapter 4, needs cash in order to leave Brampton Shipley. How does Hagar get the cash and in doing so give up her pride?
4. How is Hagar's emotional restraint again depicted in Chapter 4?
5. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
6. Do you think Hagar's feelings about going to the nursing home are similar to other elderly people? Why or why not?
7. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
8. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
9. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
10. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's speaks sharply to her sons and is not able to comfort or praise them. Was Hagar comforted or praised as a child by anyone? How did her father comfort or praise her? How did this effect the way she dealt with her sons?
Essay Topic 2
In her dying days, Hagar is prompted to try to help others. In what ways could she have helped others her entire life?
Essay Topic 3
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)