|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hagar deliver her first son, Marvin?
2. What does Hagar's father value?
3. What does Hagar think about the amenities of the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
4. What kind of pictures hung on the walls at the Shipley house before Hagar moved in?
5. Who does John's manhood remind Hagar of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
2. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
3. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
4. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
5. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
6. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
7. When Hagar is looking back on her life, in Chapter 3, do you think she has any regrets?
8. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
9. When Hagar's brother Daniel is dying, Matt begs her to put on their mother's old plaid shawl to comfort Daniel. Why do you think Hagar is unable to do this?
10. In Chapter 2, Hagar's father reaches out his hand to her with heartfelt emotion. However, she rejects him both times. Why do you think that is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare John Shipley to his father Bram.
Part 1) In what ways are they alike in the beginning?
Parts2) How are they more alike toward the end of the novel?
Part 3) When do you think Hagar notices their similarities?
Essay Topic 2
Hagar is unable to show emotion, and unable to cry when John dies. Hagar is unable to cry for her "dead men." Why do you think Hagar is unable to show emotion? Site examples to back up your response.
Essay Topic 3
It is said that pride is Hagar's downfall. Site several examples. Was she prideful in her dress, speech, and/or attitude? How did she treat the people around her?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)