|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What improvements did Bram make on the Shipley place?
2. What happened when Hagar would dance hard at parties?
3. Of what heritage are the Curries?
4. Since Marvin manages her money, what money does Hagar plan to use to get to Shadow Point?
5. What does Hagar's father value?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think putting on pink lipstick does to the stone angel?
2. Why is Hagar's name significant?
3. Make comparisons between John and his own liquor made from potato peelings.
4. Explain the irony of Hagar being moved to a semi-private hospital room.
5. Having never said a kind word about Bram, why do you think Hagar tells Elva that her husband had been very handsome?
6. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
7. What is Hagar's view toward religion in Chapter 8?
8. Hagar finds something in common with Elva - they both think they recognize someone. How was this foreshadowed at her first visit to the nursing home?
9. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
10. In Chapter 7, Hagar admits to her fear of the dark. Why do you think she has never told anyone she was afraid of the dark?
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's emotional restraint is seen throughout the novel. Name two instances where she exhibits emotional restraint and how she could have done things differently and what the outcome could have been if she had chosen a different course of action.
Essay Topic 2
Hagar's possessions are very important to her.
Part 1) Name some of her possessions and why they are important.
Part 2) When Hagar sees her possessions, what is triggered?
Part 3) What are these possessions worth to Hagar?
Essay Topic 3
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
This section contains 1,550 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)