|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hagar fill the glass and silver wine decanter with?
2. What does Hagar tell Mrs. Steiner about the death of her son John?
3. How does Hagar feel, physically, as she climbs the steps to the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
4. How did Bram Shipley spend his and Hagar's money?
5. Who does John tell Hagar she will be like, when she leaves Bram to go find work as a housekeeper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
2. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
3. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
4. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
5. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
6. Compare the birth of Marvin the the birth of John, and Hagar's feeling with both.
7. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
8. How is Hagar's emotional restraint again depicted in Chapter 4?
9. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
10. In Chapter 2, Hagar's father reaches out his hand to her with heartfelt emotion. However, she rejects him both times. Why do you think that is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar's possessions are very important to her.
Part 1) Name some of her possessions and why they are important.
Part 2) What do her possessions trigger in the book when she sees them?
Part 3) What are these possessions worth to Hagar?
Essay Topic 2
Doris and Hagar are very different characters. Compare and contrast:
Part 1) how they dress.
Part 2) how they act toward each other.
Part 3) their different purposes in the novel.
How does their relationship end?
Essay Topic 3
Hagar is unable to show emotion, and unable to cry when John dies. Hagar is unable to cry for her "dead men." Why do you think Hagar is unable to show emotion? Site examples to back up your response.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)