|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar's father value?
2. While seated on the veranda at Silverthreads Nursing Home, whose birth does Hagar remember?
3. What caused Hagar to never attend church again?
4. What kind of house did the Currie's own?
5. What was Hagar allowed to take from her father's house after he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
2. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
3. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
4. Why is Hagar's name significant?
5. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
6. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
7. In Chapter 5, it is mentioned how Hagar takes action to affect her life, one time in the present and one in her past. What were those two instances?
8. Toward the end of Chapter 4, needs cash in order to leave Brampton Shipley. How does Hagar get the cash and in doing so give up her pride?
9. How is the symbolic use of wings portrayed in Chapter 3?
10. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In her dying days, Hagar is prompted to try to help others. In what ways could she have helped others her entire life?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Hagar describes events that foreshadow John's demise. What are some of these events and do you think Hagar could have acted differently to affect the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel we see Hagar throw herself into work, for example after marriage and at Mr. Oately's. Why do you think she does this?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)