|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John is seven, what do the kids in town call his father?
2. How did Jason Currie discipline his sons?
3. What did Hagar see when she lifted the sultana barrel lid at her father's store?
4. What does Hagar want to do when she returns from boarding school?
5. How does Hagar say good-bye to her brother, Matt, when she leaves for boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hagar's name significant?
2. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
3. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
4. Hagar is obviously unwilling to give in to death. How is that seen in Chapter 3?
5. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
6. In Chapter 2, Hagar's father reaches out his hand to her with heartfelt emotion. However, she rejects him both times. Why do you think that is?
7. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
8. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
9. At the nursing home, Hagar thinks she sees someone she knows. Why is this significant?
10. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagar sites poetry throughout the novel, site the examples and their significance.
Essay Topic 2
Hagar's possessions are very important to her.
Part 1) Name some of her possessions and why they are important.
Part 2) What do her possessions trigger in the book when she sees them?
Part 3) What are these possessions worth to Hagar?
Essay Topic 3
Hagar is unable to show emotion, and unable to cry when John dies. Hagar is unable to cry for her "dead men." Why do you think Hagar is unable to show emotion? Site examples to back up your response.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)