|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar want to do when she returns from boarding school?
2. How is the Shipley house described?
3. After the bus drops Hagar off in Shadow Point, what does Hagar forget to buy at the service station for provisions?
4. What does Bram tell Hagar when she says she is leaving and taking John?
5. What age is John when Hagar gives him the plaid-pin of the Curries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
2. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
3. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
4. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
5. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
6. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
7. In Chapter 2, Hagar's father reaches out his hand to her with heartfelt emotion. However, she rejects him both times. Why do you think that is?
8. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
9. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
10. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the wild flowers in the cemetery reflect in Hagar? In what ways are the alike? Please provide specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Marvin Shipley was caught between "two fires" meaning his mother who needed, but did not want to go to the nursing home and his wife Doris (Hagar's caregiver) who wanted Hagar to go to the nursing home and could no longer keep up with the workload because of her health. What would you have done if you were Marvin? Would you have changed your mind at any point in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Hagar notes that she is different from other people. Describe how she does not understand the relationship between:
Part 1) Marvin and Doris.
Part 2) Tom and Elva.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)