|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bram Shipley's reputation?
2. How does Hagar tell John that he can pull himself up? It is the same thing her father told her.
3. Who does John tell Hagar she will be like, when she leaves Bram to go find work as a housekeeper?
4. What was the name of the horse Bram bought in Chapter 3?
5. While seated on the veranda at Silverthreads Nursing Home, whose birth does Hagar remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
2. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
3. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
4. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
5. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
6. Do you think Hagar's life would have been different if she had not practiced emotional restraint?
7. Describe the imagery between Hagar and the weeds and wild flowers at the cemetery.
8. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
9. How does Hagar see John's character flaws? How does this compare her to the stone angel?
10. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare John Shipley to his father Bram.
Part 1) In what ways are they alike in the beginning?
Parts2) How are they more alike toward the end of the novel?
Part 3) When do you think Hagar notices their similarities?
Essay Topic 2
History repeats itself. In what ways is Arlene making the same mistakes Hagar made at her age?
Essay Topic 3
How do you see John Shipley's death being forshadowed in Chapters 6, 7, and 8?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)