|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time past before Jason Currie visited his first grandson?
2. What does Hagar sell to Lottie Telford for cash?
3. Since Marvin manages her money, what money does Hagar plan to use to get to Shadow Point, ?
4. Who does John tell Hagar she will be like, when she leaves Bram to go find work as a housekeeper?
5. On the bus ride home from Dr. Corby's office Hagar cries when a young lady offers her seat to her. What is Hagar still unable to cry for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hagar's emotional restraint again depicted in Chapter 4?
2. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
3. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
4. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
5. In Chapter 1, how does Hagar see herself?
6. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
7. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
8. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
9. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
10. When Hagar is looking back on her life, in Chapter 3, do you think she has any regrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the name Hagar significant? How does Hagar feel about her name? Who are the two people in the novel who call Hagar by her name and why is it worth noting?
Essay Topic 2
History repeats itself. In what ways is Arlene making the same mistakes Hagar made at her age?
Essay Topic 3
The stone angel in the cemetery is very symbolic throughout the novel.
Part 1) Describe the stone angel's significance in the cemetery?
Part 2) It has been carved without eyeballs, why is that important?
Part 3) How is Hagar like the stone angel at the beginning of the novel and at the end?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)