|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After losing jobs, and not having money to go to college, what does John decided to do?
(a) Return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm.
(b) Go into show business.
(c) Go to the war.
(d) Start selling Oriental wives, like Mr. Oatley.
2. The night after Bram's funeral, who was the one who cried?
(d) Charlie Bean.
3. What is Hagar afraid of, and never admits to anyone?
(a) She is afraid of birds.
(b) She is afraid of real horses.
(c) She is afraid of potato peelings.
(d) She is afraid of the dark.
4. Upon her arrival at Jess' house, with the box labeled "Clara Shipley", who does Hagar find talking to Jess?
(a) John, asking about their father.
(c) Arlene Simmons.
5. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
(a) Meditation and yoga.
(c) Ask the doctor for a night shot.
(d) Pray and sing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hagar feel about her world in the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. How does Hagar try to comfort Sandra, her roommate in the hospital, about her upcoming surgery to remove her appendix?
3. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
4. When Marvin visits Hagar the next day, what does she tell him that moves him emotionally?
5. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hagar try to be helpful to her roommate?
2. John's death effected Hagar deeply. However, she was not able to show the emotion until she drinks wine with Mr. Lee. Why do you think that was?
3. Explain the irony of Hagar being moved to a semi-private hospital room.
4. Lottie Dreiser does not remember the incident described about the chicks. What does this say about Hagar as a narrator?
5. What do Mr. Murray Lees and Hagar have in common?
6. Compare Hagar and Doris. Has their relationship changed during this book?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Hagar is concerned about intruders coming into the house where she is at the cannery. She thinks that Bram would have taken care of anyone, if he had been there. What do you think this says about how she felt about Bram as a protector?
8. What do you think putting on pink lipstick does to the stone angel?
9. In Chapter 7, do you think John respects his mother?
10. What do you see creating distance and hardness between Hagar and her sons, as well as everyone else?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)