|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the death of John and Arlene?
(a) Broken hearts, when Arlene left for the East.
(b) A freight train hit them head on while they were driving across the trestle bridge.
(c) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(d) A plague of locusts.
2. Why does Hagar rarely visit her first son, Marvin, who lives nearby?
(a) His wife, Doris, is obnoxious.
(b) She feels uncomfortable around him.
(c) He doesn't want his mother to visit.
(d) She doesn't feel welcomed.
3. What calms Hagar as she is in the woods?
(a) Sounds and activity of the wildlife.
(b) A woodcutter with bottle of water for her.
(c) Knowing she can always go home.
(d) A stream of fresh water.
4. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Dobereiner.
(b) Mrs. Soldier.
(c) Elva Jardine.
(d) Mrs. Reily.
5. When Hagar returns to present time, she is startled by two things she is doing, what are they?
(a) Crying and telling her story out loud.
(b) Smoking and drinking.
(c) Eating uncontrollably and telling her story out loud.
(d) Crying and speaking German.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar tell Mr. Oatley about why she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
2. Hagar wants to ask Marvin about his war experiences, too soothe him by listening, but doesn't. Why not?
3. Why did John continue to lose jobs?
4. When John dies, a nurse urges Hagar to cry. She doesn't, why?
5. What is Hagar afraid of, and never admits to anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What turns out to be Hagar's biggest character flaws?
2. What do Mr. Murray Lees and Hagar have in common?
3. In the hospital, how is Hagar's soft food diet ironic?
4. In Chapter 7, Hagar sees that Arlene is making the same mistakes she did. How is this true?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Hagar is concerned about intruders coming into the house where she is at the cannery. She thinks that Bram would have taken care of anyone, if he had been there. What do you think this says about how she felt about Bram as a protector?
6. What do you see creating distance and hardness between Hagar and her sons, as well as everyone else?
7. John's death effected Hagar deeply. However, she was not able to show the emotion until she drinks wine with Mr. Lee. Why do you think that was?
8. How would you describe Mr. Murray Lees in Chapter 8?
9. In Hagar complaining that Arlene is always at the house, and then wishing she had not said it afterward, what does this say about Hagar?
10. Hagar's need to do things herself and not accept help is consistent throughout. How is it depicted at the end of Chapter 10?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)