|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hagar say Stephen looks like?
(a) Telford Simmons.
(b) His father.
(c) Her, a Currie.
(d) His grandfather, a Shipley.
2. Why is Hagar peeved with Marvin when he tells her she can now be moved to a private room?
(a) She thinks she will get bored.
(b) She likes her surroundings.
(c) Nothing makes Hagar happy.
(d) She doesn't want to be alone.
3. When will Elva get to go home from the hospital?
(a) After she puts on 100 pounds.
(c) After two more surgeries.
4. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
(a) Grabs the glass and say she can do it herself.
(b) Says no, that she doesn't need any water, thank you though.
(c) Says water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.
(d) Grabs the glass and says yes, please, and thank you.
5. After Bram dies, how did Hagar soothe herself during this time in Manawaka?
(a) Completely cleaning the Shipley house, even the attic.
(b) Walking in the cemetery.
(c) Visiting friends.
(d) Drinking John's potato liquor.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, Hagar wakes up to her first morning at the fish cannery, she thinks it would be nice to be home, but would never admit this to Doris. Why?
2. Hagar complains about Dr. Tappen, who is he?
3. When Murray realized Hagar is ill, what does he do?
4. Where did Elva attend church, and how far was it from Manawaka?
5. When Marvin visits Hagar the next day, what does she tell him that moves him emotionally?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, do you think John respects his mother?
2. Why do you think Hagar does not allow herself to cry in front of strangers?
3. What do you think putting on pink lipstick does to the stone angel?
4. Hagar finds something in common with Elva, a recognition. How was this foreshadowed at her first visit to the nursing home?
5. Lottie Dreiser does not remember the incident described about the chicks. What does this say about Hagar as a narrator?
6. Describe how Hagar feels physically and mentally in the beginning of Chapter 7.
7. In Chapter 9, while at the hospital, Hagar finally starts to notice that she is different from other people, in what way?
8. How does Hagar view the nursing home?
9. What is Hagar's view toward religion in Chapter 8?
10. What turns out to be Hagar's biggest character flaws?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)