|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the bus ride home from Dr. Corby's office Hagar cries when a young lady offers her seat to her. What is Hagar still unable to cry for?
(a) The price of wheat.
(b) Her "dead men."
(c) The little chicks Lottie killed.
2. What kind of house did the Currie's own?
(a) Large house, the second brick house in the town.
(b) Large house, two floors and a basement.
(c) Small house with indoor plumbing.
(d) Small house without plumbing or electricity.
3. How does Hagar feel, physically, as she climbs the steps to the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
(a) Her feet are tired from walking.
(b) She has a slight headache.
(c) She is fit as a fiddle.
(d) She is in pain.
4. What does Hagar find out when she calls Mrs. Conner, the doctor's wife, to introduce herself?
(a) The Conners are getting a divorce and moving away.
(b) The Conners don't have a son.
(c) The Conners have a daughter, who looks like a boy.
(d) The Conner's son is adopted.
5. What comment does Mrs. Steiner make causing Hagar to wonder how she knows so much about her?
(a) "Do you get used to life?"
(b) "Well if it isn't Hagar Shipley, I haven't seen you in ages."
(c) "I know who you are and what you've done."
(d) "I am a psychic"
Short Answer Questions
1. What kept impinging on the cemetery plots?
2. How did Jason Currie discipline his sons?
3. What was Hagar allowed to take from her father's house after he died?
4. Who does John tell Hagar she will be like, when she leaves Bram to go find work as a housekeeper?
5. What happened when Hagar would dance hard at parties?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
2. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
3. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
4. When Hagar's brother Daniel is dying, Matt begs her to put on their mother's old plaid shawl to comfort Daniel. Why do you think Hagar is unable to do this?
5. How is the symbolic use of wings portrayed in Chapter 3?
6. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
7. Hagar is obviously unwilling to give in to death. How is that seen in Chapter 3?
8. Compare the birth of Marvin the the birth of John, and Hagar's feeling with both.
9. How is Hagar's wild and headstrong nature depicted in Chapter 2?
10. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)