|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While seated on the veranda at Silverthreads Nursing Home, whose birth does Hagar remember?
(a) Her son John's birth.
(b) Her son Marvin's birth.
(c) Her granddaughter Tina's birth.
(d) Daniel's birth.
2. What are the results of Hagar's stomach x-rays?
(a) No one tells Hagar the x-ray report.
(b) She has an ulcer.
(c) She has stomach cancer.
(d) She has a cast iron stomach.
3. What kind of wedding did Hagar and Bram Shipley have?
(a) A small outdoor wedding at the Currie house.
(b) A big church wedding.
(c) There was nothing elaborate about her wedding.
(d) A big fancy gathering at the Currie house.
4. What does Hagar think about the amenities of the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
(a) She is upset about the mildewed mattress.
(b) She is happy to have a roof over her head.
(c) She thought it would do for now, but plans to get a better place.
(d) She takes pleasure in the view of the sea and thinks moving is a great adventure.
5. What does Hagar think about her son Marvin and his wife Doris?
(a) Doris is smart and Marvin is smarter.
(b) Doris is stingy and Marvin is lazy.
(c) Doris is greedy and Marvin is not ambitious.
(d) Doris is stupid and Marvin is stupid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the lady that visits with Hagar at Silverthreads nursing home?
2. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
3. How much money did Hagar get from her father?
4. What two virtues does Hagar cite to John?
5. What is Bram Shipley's reputation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hagar is very attached to her things in the house. Describe a few of them.
2. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
3. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
4. Why is Hagar's name significant?
5. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
6. When Hagar is looking back on her life, in Chapter 3, do you think she has any regrets?
7. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
8. What does Hagar's action to go to Shadow Point say about her willingness to accept her current physical state?
9. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
10. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)