|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hagar's occupation at Mr. Oatley's house?
(a) Headmaster of his Oriental wives.
(b) Lady of leisure.
2. What is the name of the lady that visits with Hagar at Silverthreads nursing home?
(a) Mavis Shipley.
(b) Mrs. Steiner.
(c) Mrs. Franco.
(d) Elva Currie.
3. Which of Hagar's sons does she say is like her father, Jason Currie?
4. What two virtues does Hagar cite to John?
(a) Kindness and modesty.
(b) Hard work and self-motivation.
(c) Patience and honesty.
(d) Drinking and smoking.
5. How did Hagar feel about John at his birth?
(a) Full of pride and joy.
(b) She felt an instant connection.
(d) Strange and uncertain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hagar allowed to take from her father's house after he died?
2. Who does John tell Hagar his best friends are when they have moved to Mr. Oatley's home?
3. After the bus drops Hagar off in Shadow Point and she purchases provisions at the service station, how does Hagar get to the fish cannery road?
4. How did Jason Currie discipline his sons?
5. What does Hagar want to do when she returns from boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Hagar is dressed when, in Chapter 5, she sets out for Shadow Point. What do you think this says about her?
2. Hagar is obviously unwilling to give in to death. How is that seen in Chapter 3?
3. Toward the end of Chapter 4, needs cash in order to leave Brampton Shipley. How does Hagar get the cash and in doing so give up her pride?
4. How is Hagar's emotional restraint again depicted in Chapter 4?
5. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
6. In Chapter 1, how does Hagar see herself?
7. What purpose does Doris serve and how is she contrasted against Hagar?
8. Do you think Hagar's feelings about going to the nursing home are similar to other elderly people? Why or why not?
9. Why is Hagar frightened when Marvin and Doris tell her they want to sell the house?
10. What is the role reversal that takes place between Hagar and Lottie Drieser?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)