|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bram tell Hagar when she says she is leaving and taking John?
(a) That he loves her dearly.
(b) That he wasn't surprised.
(c) To not let the door hit her on the way out.
(d) To take some hard-boiled eggs with her.
2. What is the stone angel?
(a) The Currie family moto.
(b) Small figurine Hagar keeps in her pocket.
(c) A cemetery monument that used to stand over the Hagar's mother's grave.
(d) Yard statue standing in Hagar's front yard.
3. What is the stone angel supposed to do?
(a) Pray to heaven.
(b) Sing a hymn.
(c) Keep everyone safe.
(d) Guide the townspeople to heaven.
4. What does Hagar's picture of Bram look like.
(a) He is dirty and unshaven.
(b) He is wearing a sailor suit.
(c) She doesn't have a picutre of Bram.
(d) The top of the picutre has faded away, as has her memory of Bram.
5. What improvements did Bram make on the Shipley place?
(a) Fixed the leaky roof.
(c) An indoor pump.
(d) Wired the entire place for electricity.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 5, how does Doris try to sooth Hagar?
2. How does Hagar know her father is pleased with her?
3. When was it mentioned that Bram would usually work?
4. What does Hagar think about her son Marvin and his wife Doris?
5. How does Hagar get to the hospital to deliver her second son, John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hagar's name significant?
2. Toward the end of Chapter 4, needs cash in order to leave Brampton Shipley. How does Hagar get the cash and in doing so give up her pride?
3. Why is Hagar frustrated by her brother Matt's death?
4. At the end of Chapter 4, why do you think Marvin decides Hagar will go to the nursing home in one week?
5. Why do you think Hagar tells her employer, Mr. Oatley, her husband died?
6. Describe some differences Hagar sees in Marvin and John.
7. Comment on the irony that the stone angel was "doubly blind."
8. Hagar's father's comments, as well as Lottie Dreiser's about Bramptom Shipley, only seem to fuel Hagar's idea to be with him. Why do you think that is?
9. What are John's character traits in Chapter 5? Do you think they affect his future?
10. Hagar is obviously unwilling to give in to death. How is that seen in Chapter 3?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)