|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hagar find when she is cleaning the attic?
(b) A box labeled "Clara Shipley."
(c) A dead mouse.
(d) John's old school papers.
2. Why did John continue to lose jobs?
(a) He stole merchandise.
(b) He was lazy, like his father.
(c) Some jobs were laying off people, others were temporary.
(d) Companies were going out of business.
3. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Partly due to her restraint.
(c) Broken hearts.
(d) Drinking too much.
4. What was Telford and Lottie's plan for Arlene, to get her away from John?
(a) To go East and earn money for a year.
(b) To go East and raise horses.
(c) To go to the convent.
(d) To go East and live with her Aunt Doll.
5. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
(a) To win the lottery.
(b) To get her pregnant.
(c) To go with her.
(d) To elope.
6. What kind of diet did Hagar's doctor order for her?
(a) No diet, she can eat anything she wants.
(b) No fat.
(c) Low acid.
(d) Soft food.
7. When Murray realized Hagar is ill, what does he do?
(a) Performs surgery in the cannery.
(b) Urges her to sleep.
(c) Leaves and doesn't come back.
(d) Takes her to a doctor.
8. Hagar's roommate needs a bedpan, but her nurse doesn't come. What does Hagar do?
(a) Gets the bedpan for her.
(b) Pretends like she is sleeping.
(c) Starts yelling for the nurse.
(d) Tells her to hold it.
9. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
(a) Dr. Corby.
(b) Dr. Tappen.
(c) The nurse on duty.
10. Hagar realizes that Marvin cares deeply about Doris. What comment does Hagar make about that?
(a) She doesn't understand why because Doris is greedy.
(b) She does not understand the feeling.
(c) Marvin should get his head examined.
(d) He is just confused.
11. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) Birds poop on new cars.
(b) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
(c) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
(d) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
12. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) One month.
(b) Three months.
(c) One year.
(d) Seven months.
13. What is Hagar afraid of, and never admits to anyone?
(a) She is afraid of birds.
(b) She is afraid of the dark.
(c) She is afraid of real horses.
(d) She is afraid of potato peelings.
14. Who wakes up Hagar one night to tell her something has happened to John?
(a) Jason Currie.
(d) Henry Pearl.
15. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
Short Answer Questions
1. Hagar asks about Doris and Marvin comments that she has had one of her "spells." What is wrong with Doris?
2. Murray Lees says the watchman's dogs would have got him, if what hadn't been outside?
3. Hagar complains about Dr. Tappen, who is he?
4. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
5. What happened to Hagar's money that she invested in the stock market?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)