|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
2. What did Arlene have to do in order to bring John home?
(a) Figure out how to shift gears.
(b) Stand up to her parents.
(c) Find the car keys.
(d) Learn how to drive.
3. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
(a) Charlie, hypothermia.
(b) Henry, smoke inhalation.
(c) Donnie, smoke inhalation.
(d) Donnie, drinking.
4. In the cannery, what is Hagar using for a table and chairs?
(a) An old folding table and a crate for a chair.
(b) An old folding table and she sits in a boat.
(c) Old crates.
(d) A fine handcrafted mahogony stained oak table with twelve matching chairs.
5. What calms Hagar as she is in the woods?
(a) A stream of fresh water.
(b) Knowing she can always go home.
(c) A woodcutter with bottle of water for her.
(d) Sounds and activity of the wildlife.
6. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
(a) To elope.
(b) To go with her.
(c) To win the lottery.
(d) To get her pregnant.
7. What is Hagar afraid of, and never admits to anyone?
(a) She is afraid of real horses.
(b) She is afraid of potato peelings.
(c) She is afraid of birds.
(d) She is afraid of the dark.
8. Who did Hagar and Elva both know and exchange facts about?
(a) Charlie Bean.
(b) Henry Pearl's son.
(d) Aunt Doll.
9. After losing jobs, and not having money to go to college, what does John decided to do?
(a) Start selling Oriental wives, like Mr. Oatley.
(b) Return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm.
(c) Go to the war.
(d) Go into show business.
10. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) Birds poop on new cars.
(b) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
(c) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
(d) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
11. When Hagar wakes up, at the beginning of Chapter 9, who does she see?
(a) Charlie Bean.
(b) Marvin and Doris with Mr. Murray Lees.
(c) Dr. Corby.
(d) Bram and John.
12. At the hospital, when Hagar isn't allowed to get up and go to the bathroom by herself, what is her comment?
(a) "I'm not good for anything but rest."
(b) If Bram could see me now.
(c) No problem, I don't mind asking for help.
(d) I'll do what I want, when I want.
13. What has Hagar thrown joy aside for?
(a) Money, fame, and fortune.
(b) Fear, restraint, and honesty.
(c) Proper appearances, pride, and fear.
(d) Pride, humility, and grace.
14. What does Hagar fear about the nursing home?
(a) They won't have her favorite cable channel.
(b) Once she is there, she will not be able to leave.
(c) The food will kill her.
(d) She will be forgotten.
15. Why didn't John want to apply for a scholarship or loan to go to college?
(a) He didn't know why he should since is mother made so much money with her stocks.
(b) He said he didn't have the brains.
(c) He said he was too old and didn't have the brains.
(d) He said he didn't want to leave Arlene.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar find when she is cleaning the attic?
2. When Hagar and John go to town to sell eggs, who does she see flirting with John?
3. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
4. What does Hagar feel like she is waiting for now in her dying days at the hospital?
5. What do Hagar and Murray Lees share during their time together?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)