|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
(a) Grabs the glass and says yes, please, and thank you.
(b) Says no, that she doesn't need any water, thank you though.
(c) Says water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.
(d) Grabs the glass and say she can do it herself.
2. What does Hagar tell Mr. Oatley about why she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) The farm needed tending to.
(b) She really liked it there.
(c) Her son died.
(d) Her brother died.
3. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
(a) To go with her.
(b) To get her pregnant.
(c) To win the lottery.
(d) To elope.
4. Why does Hagar rarely visit her first son, Marvin, who lives nearby?
(a) He doesn't want his mother to visit.
(b) His wife, Doris, is obnoxious.
(c) She doesn't feel welcomed.
(d) She feels uncomfortable around him.
5. As Mr. Troy sings, what does Hagar recognize?
(a) He can't sing well at all.
(b) He is tone-deaf.
(c) A bird is sitting at her window.
(d) She has always wanted to feel joy.
6. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
7. When Marvin and Doris come to visit Hagar at the hospital again, what does Doris offer to do?
(a) Hagar's hair.
(b) Arrange the roses.
(c) Smack her hand with a ruler if she gets out of bed again.
(d) Get her a bed pan.
8. How does Hagar feel about her world in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) It is smaller than a matchbox.
(b) It is even smaller, after being moved to the semi-private room.
(c) It is larger than life.
(d) Everything is coming up roses.
9. What wakes Hagar up at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) A train.
(d) A gull.
10. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
(a) Elva Jardine.
(b) Mrs. Soldier.
(c) Mrs. Dobereiner.
(d) Mrs. Reily.
11. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) Seven months.
(b) Three months.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
12. What happened when Hagar didn't have enough money to send John to college?
(a) He started drinking and running around with fast women.
(b) Mr. Oatley got him a job in an office.
(c) He applied for a loan.
(d) He worked part-time and put himself through college.
13. What did Arlene have to do in order to bring John home?
(a) Learn how to drive.
(b) Figure out how to shift gears.
(c) Stand up to her parents.
(d) Find the car keys.
14. What was Telford and Lottie's plan for Arlene, to get her away from John?
(a) To go East and raise horses.
(b) To go East and earn money for a year.
(c) To go East and live with her Aunt Doll.
(d) To go to the convent.
15. Even though Marvin hated smoking, what does he give Hagar?
(a) A pack of Camels.
(b) A small purse ashtray.
(c) Cinnamon chewing gum.
(d) A large and beautiful glass ashtray.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the cannery, what is Hagar using for a table and chairs?
2. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
3. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
4. What happened to Hagar's money that she invested in the stock market?
5. What reduces all people in the Manawaka community to the same desperate level?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)