|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John dies, a nurse urges Hagar to cry. She doesn't, why?
(a) She didn't have any tissue.
(b) She really didn't care that much for John.
(c) She was already all cried out from losing Bram.
(d) She would never allow herself to cry in front of strangers.
2. After Mr. Troy leaves the hospital after visiting Hagar, who comes to visit Hagar?
(a) Her great grandson, Soldier.
(b) Her grandson, Daniel.
(c) Her grandson, Stephen.
(d) Her granddaughter, Tina.
3. Who wakes up Hagar one night to tell her something has happened to John?
(a) Henry Pearl.
(c) Jason Currie.
4. Sandra, Hagar's roommate in the hospital, is angry with Hagar when she is wheeled back in after surgery to remove her appendix. Why is Sandra angry with Hagar?
(a) For talking in her sleep.
(b) For telling her the surgery wouldn't hurt.
(c) For using bad language.
(d) For stealing the sheets off her bed.
5. Who does Hagar say Stephen looks like?
(a) His father.
(b) Her, a Currie.
(c) His grandfather, a Shipley.
(d) Telford Simmons.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 7, Hagar wakes up to her first morning at the fish cannery, she thinks it would be nice to be home, but would never admit this to Doris. Why?
(a) She is afraid Doris would tease her about it.
(b) She is too proud.
(c) If she did, it would be like admitting Doris was right, that Hagar could not take care of herself.
(d) She never shows a weakness.
7. What was Telford and Lottie's plan for Arlene, to get her away from John?
(a) To go East and live with her Aunt Doll.
(b) To go to the convent.
(c) To go East and earn money for a year.
(d) To go East and raise horses.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 9 while at the cannery, before being taken to the hospital, who sympathizes with Hagar on the loss of her son, and in turn she sympathizes him on the loss of his son?
(a) Mr. Murray Lees.
(c) Marvin and Doris.
(d) Dr. Corby.
9. Why does Arlene Simmons bring John home one night?
(a) He broke his leg delivering eggs.
(b) His car broke down.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He is too lazy to drive himself home.
10. At age 90, Hagar recalls only two things she has done truly free. What are they?
(a) Knitting socks for orphans and baking bread for the needy.
(b) Selling eggs and her mother's limoge china.
(c) Having two sons, Marvin and John.
(d) Retrieving the bedpan for her roommate and telling Marvin he was a better son than John.
11. Hagar realizes that Marvin cares deeply about Doris. What comment does Hagar make about that?
(a) He is just confused.
(b) Marvin should get his head examined.
(c) She does not understand the feeling.
(d) She doesn't understand why because Doris is greedy.
12. Where is Bram burried?
(a) In the Currie plot.
(b) In the Shipley plot.
(c) On the Shipley farm.
(d) He wasn't, he was cremated.
13. Why did John continue to lose jobs?
(a) He was lazy, like his father.
(b) Companies were going out of business.
(c) He stole merchandise.
(d) Some jobs were laying off people, others were temporary.
14. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) Birds poop on new cars.
(b) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
(c) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
(d) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
15. What does Hagar tell Mr. Oatley about why she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) She really liked it there.
(b) Her brother died.
(c) Her son died.
(d) The farm needed tending to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Hagar ask Stephen that surprises him?
2. What do Hagar and Murray Lees share during their time together?
3. What happens when Hagar offers some food to the children?
4. What does Hagar feel like she is waiting for now in her dying days at the hospital?
5. Hagar returns to Manawaka when Bram becomes very sick. Upon seeing Hagar for the first time in years, Bram doesn't recognize Hagar at first. Later, who does he tell her she reminds him of?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)