|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At age 90, Hagar recalls only two things she has done truly free. What are they?
(a) Knitting socks for orphans and baking bread for the needy.
(b) Having two sons, Marvin and John.
(c) Selling eggs and her mother's limoge china.
(d) Retrieving the bedpan for her roommate and telling Marvin he was a better son than John.
2. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
(a) Charlie, hypothermia.
(b) Henry, smoke inhalation.
(c) Donnie, smoke inhalation.
(d) Donnie, drinking.
3. Where did Murray meet his wife, Lou?
(a) Local saloon where she danced.
(b) Tabernacle, where his grandfather preached.
(c) Bible camp.
(d) General store.
4. What caused the death of John and Arlene?
(a) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(b) A plague of locusts.
(c) A freight train hit them head on while they were driving across the trestle bridge.
(d) Broken hearts, when Arlene left for the East.
5. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
(a) They look hungry.
(b) Their clothing is old and worn.
(c) The little boy is constantly correcting and critical of the little girl.
(d) The little girl criticzes the little boy and correct him.
6. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
(a) Hard work.
(b) Partly due to her restraint.
(c) Broken hearts.
(d) Drinking too much.
7. Where is Bram burried?
(a) He wasn't, he was cremated.
(b) In the Currie plot.
(c) In the Shipley plot.
(d) On the Shipley farm.
8. After Mr. Troy leaves the hospital after visiting Hagar, who comes to visit Hagar?
(a) Her great grandson, Soldier.
(b) Her granddaughter, Tina.
(c) Her grandson, Stephen.
(d) Her grandson, Daniel.
9. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
(a) Bram is really sick, and dying.
(b) John broke his leg.
(c) There is a drought.
(d) Bram is dead.
10. After losing jobs, and not having money to go to college, what does John decided to do?
(a) Go to the war.
(b) Start selling Oriental wives, like Mr. Oatley.
(c) Go into show business.
(d) Return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm.
11. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
(a) Hagar sure is cranky.
(b) Bless her heart.
(c) Sleep will do her good.
(d) I am going to pray for her tonight.
12. Why didn't John want to apply for a scholarship or loan to go to college?
(a) He said he didn't want to leave Arlene.
(b) He said he didn't have the brains.
(c) He said he was too old and didn't have the brains.
(d) He didn't know why he should since is mother made so much money with her stocks.
13. Hagar's new roommate is Sandra Wong, in the semi-private room of the hospital, is an Asian girl. Where does Hagar think she descended from?
(b) One of Mr. Oatley's illegally imported women.
(c) Hong Kong.
14. What was Telford and Lottie's plan for Arlene, to get her away from John?
(a) To go East and live with her Aunt Doll.
(b) To go East and earn money for a year.
(c) To go East and raise horses.
(d) To go to the convent.
15. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) Three months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar feel like she is waiting for now in her dying days at the hospital?
2. What does Hagar decorate her hair with?
3. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
4. Who did Hagar and Elva both know and exchange facts about?
5. What kind of diet did Hagar's doctor order for her?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)