|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hagar's new roommate is Sandra Wong, in the semi-private room of the hospital, is an Asian girl. Where does Hagar think she descended from?
(a) One of Mr. Oatley's illegally imported women.
(c) Hong Kong.
2. After Bram dies, how did Hagar soothe herself during this time in Manawaka?
(a) Walking in the cemetery.
(b) Visiting friends.
(c) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(d) Completely cleaning the Shipley house, even the attic.
3. What does Hagar feel like she is waiting for now in her dying days at the hospital?
(a) For the movie and popcorn she requested earlier.
(b) "For someone to call her name just beyond the door where the light shines."
(c) Marvin to bring her more roses.
(d) Her cup of tea.
4. What has been John's therapy for his dying father?
(b) Stretching and good nutrition.
(c) Biting on a bullet.
(d) Letting him drink the liquor he distilled.
5. Hagar realizes that Marvin cares deeply about Doris. What comment does Hagar make about that?
(a) She doesn't understand why because Doris is greedy.
(b) He is just confused.
(c) Marvin should get his head examined.
(d) She does not understand the feeling.
6. What wakes Hagar up at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) A train.
(b) A gull.
7. When will Elva get to go home from the hospital?
(a) After two more surgeries.
(d) After she puts on 100 pounds.
8. Upon her arrival at Jess' house, with the box labeled "Clara Shipley", who does Hagar find talking to Jess?
(a) Arlene Simmons.
(b) John, asking about their father.
9. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(b) Birds poop on new cars.
(c) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
(d) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
10. When Marvin is leaving Hagar, a nurse comments that Hagar's heart keeps on going. In response, what comment does Marvin make to the nurse about his mother?
(a) She loves the Lord.
(b) She is a "holy terror."
(c) She takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
(d) She is my little June bug.
11. At the end of Chapter 7, Hagar is in the woods, stops her daydreaming, and she realizes she doesn't have the strength to make it back to the groundskeepers house. Where does she go instead?
(a) The cannery.
(b) She takes a boat out to sea.
(c) The bus station.
(d) Marvin and Doris' house.
12. In the privacy of her own bedroom, why didn't Hagar cry for her dead son?
(a) She had held back the tears too long and couldn't cry.
(b) She didn't have any tissue.
(c) She was already all cried out from losing Bram.
(d) She really didn't care that much for John.
13. What do Hagar and Sandra, her roommate in the hospital, have in common?
(a) Both of their fathers were storeowners.
(b) Both of their husbands were farmers.
(c) They both like horses.
(d) They both like Dr. Tappen.
14. What caused the death of John and Arlene?
(a) A freight train hit them head on while they were driving across the trestle bridge.
(b) Broken hearts, when Arlene left for the East.
(c) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(d) A plague of locusts.
15. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) One month.
(b) Seven months.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
2. What does Hagar decorate her hair with?
3. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
4. What does Murray say caused him to lose his faith?
5. How does Hagar try to comfort Sandra, her roommate in the hospital, about her upcoming surgery to remove her appendix?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)