|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wakes up Hagar one night to tell her something has happened to John?
(a) Jason Currie.
(d) Henry Pearl.
2. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
(a) Dr. Tappen.
(b) The nurse on duty.
(c) Dr. Corby.
3. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
(a) Their clothing is old and worn.
(b) The little girl criticzes the little boy and correct him.
(c) The little boy is constantly correcting and critical of the little girl.
(d) They look hungry.
4. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Broken hearts.
(c) Partly due to her restraint.
(d) Hard work.
5. How does Hagar feel about her world in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) It is smaller than a matchbox.
(b) It is even smaller, after being moved to the semi-private room.
(c) Everything is coming up roses.
(d) It is larger than life.
6. At the end of Chapter 7, Hagar is in the woods, stops her daydreaming, and she realizes she doesn't have the strength to make it back to the groundskeepers house. Where does she go instead?
(a) She takes a boat out to sea.
(b) The cannery.
(c) Marvin and Doris' house.
(d) The bus station.
7. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
(a) There is a drought.
(b) Bram is really sick, and dying.
(c) John broke his leg.
(d) Bram is dead.
8. Where is Bram burried?
(a) In the Currie plot.
(b) He wasn't, he was cremated.
(c) On the Shipley farm.
(d) In the Shipley plot.
9. In the cannery, what is Hagar using for a table and chairs?
(a) An old folding table and a crate for a chair.
(b) Old crates.
(c) An old folding table and she sits in a boat.
(d) A fine handcrafted mahogony stained oak table with twelve matching chairs.
10. What was the real reason that Hagar told Mr. Oatley she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) Her son died.
(b) She didn't want to leave John alone.
(c) She really liked it there.
(d) The farm needed tending to.
11. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
(b) Ask the doctor for a night shot.
(c) Meditation and yoga.
(d) Pray and sing.
12. When Marvin and Doris come to visit Hagar at the hospital again, what does Doris offer to do?
(a) Smack her hand with a ruler if she gets out of bed again.
(b) Arrange the roses.
(c) Hagar's hair.
(d) Get her a bed pan.
13. What did Arlene have to do in order to bring John home?
(a) Find the car keys.
(b) Stand up to her parents.
(c) Figure out how to shift gears.
(d) Learn how to drive.
14. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
(a) Bless her heart.
(b) I am going to pray for her tonight.
(c) Hagar sure is cranky.
(d) Sleep will do her good.
15. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
(b) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(c) Birds poop on new cars.
(d) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
Short Answer Questions
1. Hagar's new roommate is Sandra Wong, in the semi-private room of the hospital, is an Asian girl. Where does Hagar think she descended from?
2. Murray Lees says the watchman's dogs would have got him, if what hadn't been outside?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 8, who is the man who enters the room where Hagar sits?
4. When John dies, a nurse urges Hagar to cry. She doesn't, why?
5. Sandra, Hagar's roommate in the hospital, is angry with Hagar when she is wheeled back in after surgery to remove her appendix. Why is Sandra angry with Hagar?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)