|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been John's therapy for his dying father?
(a) Letting him drink the liquor he distilled.
(b) Biting on a bullet.
(c) Stretching and good nutrition.
2. What question does Hagar ask Stephen that surprises him?
(a) If he is a virgin.
(b) If he is content.
(c) If he smokes.
(d) If he drinks.
3. Murray Lees says the watchman's dogs would have got him, if what hadn't been outside?
(a) A big stick.
(b) A bear.
(c) A wounded gull.
(d) A gun.
4. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
(b) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(c) Birds poop on new cars.
(d) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
5. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
(a) The nurse on duty.
(b) Dr. Tappen.
(d) Dr. Corby.
6. When Marvin and Doris come to visit Hagar at the hospital again, what does Doris offer to do?
(a) Smack her hand with a ruler if she gets out of bed again.
(b) Hagar's hair.
(c) Arrange the roses.
(d) Get her a bed pan.
7. At the hospital, when Hagar isn't allowed to get up and go to the bathroom by herself, what is her comment?
(a) If Bram could see me now.
(b) I'll do what I want, when I want.
(c) "I'm not good for anything but rest."
(d) No problem, I don't mind asking for help.
8. Upon her arrival at Jess' house, with the box labeled "Clara Shipley", who does Hagar find talking to Jess?
(c) John, asking about their father.
(d) Arlene Simmons.
9. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) Three months.
(b) One year.
(c) Seven months.
(d) One month.
10. In the privacy of her own bedroom, why didn't Hagar cry for her dead son?
(a) She had held back the tears too long and couldn't cry.
(b) She didn't have any tissue.
(c) She was already all cried out from losing Bram.
(d) She really didn't care that much for John.
11. Hagar asks Lottie about the incident with the chicks that happened when they were children. What is Lottie's response?
(a) She says that Hagar has lost all her marbles and should be committed.
(b) She remembers and is glad she did it.
(c) She says that Hagar killed the chicks not her.
(d) She does not remember the incident.
12. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
(a) I am going to pray for her tonight.
(b) Hagar sure is cranky.
(c) Sleep will do her good.
(d) Bless her heart.
13. Who does Hagar form and alliance with in hopes of keeping John and Arlene from marrying?
(a) Charlie Bean.
14. What reduces all people in the Manawaka community to the same desperate level?
(a) A polio outbreak.
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) There is a drought.
(d) The new king.
15. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
(a) Broken hearts.
(b) Drinking too much.
(c) Partly due to her restraint.
(d) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the real reason that Hagar told Mr. Oatley she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
2. What must the nurse do to Hagar for her own safety, after she was found wandering the halls?
3. What was Telford and Lottie's plan for Arlene, to get her away from John?
4. How does John tell his mother he is distilling his own liquor?
5. Who wakes up Hagar one night to tell her something has happened to John?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)