|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon her arrival at Jess' house, with the box labeled "Clara Shipley", who does Hagar find talking to Jess?
(c) Arlene Simmons.
(d) John, asking about their father.
2. Hagar asks Lottie about the incident with the chicks that happened when they were children. What is Lottie's response?
(a) She says that Hagar has lost all her marbles and should be committed.
(b) She does not remember the incident.
(c) She remembers and is glad she did it.
(d) She says that Hagar killed the chicks, not her.
3. Hagar's roommate needs a bedpan, but her nurse doesn't come. What does Hagar do?
(a) Gets the bedpan for her.
(b) Starts yelling for the nurse.
(c) Pretends like she is sleeping.
(d) Tells her to hold it.
4. Who wakes up Hagar one night to tell her something has happened to John?
(c) Jason Currie.
(d) Henry Pearl.
5. What was the real reason that Hagar told Mr. Oatley she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) Her son died.
(b) The farm needed tending to.
(c) She really liked it there.
(d) She didn't want to leave John alone.
6. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
(a) Pray and sing.
(b) Meditation and yoga.
(c) Ask the doctor for a night shot.
7. What does Murray say caused him to lose his faith?
(a) The time committment.
(b) The talk of the end of the world, without a date.
(c) The fact he could only have one wife.
(d) The constant interference with his drinking.
8. The night after Bram's funeral, who was the one who cried?
(c) Charlie Bean.
9. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) Three months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
10. What happened to the money that Hagar invested in the stock market?
(a) She took used it to buy her Limoge china back from Lottie Telford.
(b) She forgot about it.
(c) She lost it in the stock market crash.
(d) She doubled her investment.
11. What does Hagar decorate her hair with?
(a) Some sand because it sparkles.
(b) Fishing rope.
(c) Shells of dead June bugs.
(d) Sea shells.
12. Who does Hagar form an alliance with in hopes of keeping John and Arlene from marrying?
(a) Charlie Bean.
13. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
(a) To win the lottery.
(b) To go with her.
(c) To get her pregnant.
(d) To elope.
14. After Mr. Troy leaves the hospital after visiting Hagar, who comes to visit?
(a) Her granddaughter, Tina.
(b) Her grandson, Daniel.
(c) Her grandson, Stephen.
(d) Her great grandson, Soldier.
15. When Marvin is leaving Hagar, a nurse comments that Hagar's heart keeps on going. In response, what comment does Marvin make to the nurse about his mother?
(a) She is a "holy terror."
(b) She is my little June bug.
(c) She takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
(d) She loves the Lord.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Bram dies, how did Hagar soothe herself during her time in Manawaka?
2. When Murray realized Hagar is ill, what does he do?
3. What is Hagar afraid of, which she never admits to anyone?
4. Why did John continue to lose jobs?
5. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)