|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hagar asks Lottie about the incident with the chicks that happened when they were children. What is Lottie's response?
(a) She does not remember the incident.
(b) She says that Hagar killed the chicks not her.
(c) She says that Hagar has lost all her marbles and should be committed.
(d) She remembers and is glad she did it.
2. The night after Bram's funeral, who was the one who cried?
(c) Charlie Bean.
3. What caused the death of John and Arlene?
(a) A freight train hit them head on while they were driving across the trestle bridge.
(b) A plague of locusts.
(c) Broken hearts, when Arlene left for the East.
(d) Drinking John's potato liquor.
4. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
(a) The little girl criticzes the little boy and correct him.
(b) They look hungry.
(c) The little boy is constantly correcting and critical of the little girl.
(d) Their clothing is old and worn.
5. When it is clear that Bram is dying, Marvin comes to visit him. Hagar overhears Marvin tell Bram something that she wishes she could also say to Bram. What is it?
(a) Go to hell.
(b) I am sorry.
(c) We will be fine.
(d) You are important to me.
6. When Marvin and Doris come to visit Hagar at the hospital again, what does Doris offer to do?
(a) Arrange the roses.
(b) Hagar's hair.
(c) Get her a bed pan.
(d) Smack her hand with a ruler if she gets out of bed again.
7. How does Hagar feel about her world in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Everything is coming up roses.
(b) It is smaller than a matchbox.
(c) It is even smaller, after being moved to the semi-private room.
(d) It is larger than life.
8. Where did Murray meet his wife, Lou?
(a) Tabernacle, where his grandfather preached.
(b) Bible camp.
(c) Local saloon where she danced.
(d) General store.
9. Who does Hagar form and alliance with in hopes of keeping John and Arlene from marrying?
(b) Charlie Bean.
10. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
(a) Bless her heart.
(b) I am going to pray for her tonight.
(c) Hagar sure is cranky.
(d) Sleep will do her good.
11. Why didn't John want to apply for a scholarship or loan to go to college?
(a) He said he didn't want to leave Arlene.
(b) He said he was too old and didn't have the brains.
(c) He didn't know why he should since is mother made so much money with her stocks.
(d) He said he didn't have the brains.
12. Where is Bram burried?
(a) On the Shipley farm.
(b) In the Currie plot.
(c) He wasn't, he was cremated.
(d) In the Shipley plot.
13. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) Three months.
(b) One year.
(c) Seven months.
(d) One month.
14. Why is Hagar peeved with Marvin when he tells her she can now be moved to a private room?
(a) She thinks she will get bored.
(b) She likes her surroundings.
(c) She doesn't want to be alone.
(d) Nothing makes Hagar happy.
15. What kind of diet did Hagar's doctor order for her?
(a) No diet, she can eat anything she wants.
(b) Low acid.
(c) No fat.
(d) Soft food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What calms Hagar as she is in the woods?
2. In the cannery, what is Hagar using for a table and chairs?
3. Hagar wants to ask Marvin about his war experiences, too soothe him by listening, but doesn't. Why not?
4. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
5. Upon her arrival at Jess' house, with the box labeled "Clara Shipley", who does Hagar find talking to Jess?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)