|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hagar tells Marvin she will go straight to Silverthreads, but where does she have to go first instead and why?
(a) Hospital, something showed up on her x-rays.
(b) Home, to pack her things.
(c) Her new home in Shadow Point that he just bought her.
(d) Home, because she isn't going to Silverthreads.
2. What do Hagar and Sandra, her roommate in the hospital, have in common?
(a) They both like Dr. Tappen.
(b) Both of their husbands were farmers.
(c) Both of their fathers were storeowners.
(d) They both like horses.
3. The night after Bram's funeral, who was the one who cried?
(c) Charlie Bean.
4. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
5. When John dies, a nurse urges Hagar to cry. She doesn't, why?
(a) She really didn't care that much for John.
(b) She was already all cried out from losing Bram.
(c) She didn't have any tissue.
(d) She would never allow herself to cry in front of strangers.
6. Even though Marvin hated smoking, what does he give Hagar?
(a) A pack of Camels.
(b) A large and beautiful glass ashtray.
(c) A small purse ashtray.
(d) Cinnamon chewing gum.
7. At the end of Chapter 7, Hagar is in the woods, stops her daydreaming, and she realizes she doesn't have the strength to make it back to the groundskeepers house. Where does she go instead?
(a) She takes a boat out to sea.
(b) Marvin and Doris' house.
(c) The cannery.
(d) The bus station.
8. When will Elva get to go home from the hospital?
(c) After she puts on 100 pounds.
(d) After two more surgeries.
9. When Hagar wakes up, at the beginning of Chapter 9, who does she see?
(a) Bram and John.
(b) Charlie Bean.
(c) Dr. Corby.
(d) Marvin and Doris with Mr. Murray Lees.
10. Where did Elva attend church, and how far was it from Manawaka?
(a) Freehold, 500 miles.
(b) East Freehold, 1000 miles.
(c) Freehold, not far.
(d) West Freehold, 1500 miles.
11. What happened when Hagar didn't have enough money to send John to college?
(a) Mr. Oatley got him a job in an office.
(b) He started drinking and running around with fast women.
(c) He worked part-time and put himself through college.
(d) He applied for a loan.
12. What did Arlene have to do in order to bring John home?
(a) Figure out how to shift gears.
(b) Find the car keys.
(c) Learn how to drive.
(d) Stand up to her parents.
13. What calms Hagar as she is in the woods?
(a) Knowing she can always go home.
(b) A stream of fresh water.
(c) Sounds and activity of the wildlife.
(d) A woodcutter with bottle of water for her.
14. As Mr. Troy sings, what does Hagar recognize?
(a) A bird is sitting at her window.
(b) He can't sing well at all.
(c) She has always wanted to feel joy.
(d) He is tone-deaf.
15. What wakes Hagar up at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) A gull.
(c) A train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar find when she is cleaning the attic?
2. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
3. After Bram dies, how did Hagar soothe herself during this time in Manawaka?
4. What does Hagar fear about the nursing home?
5. Hagar wants to ask Marvin about his war experiences, too soothe him by listening, but doesn't. Why not?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)