|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
(a) Partly due to her restraint.
(b) Broken hearts.
(c) Drinking too much.
(d) Hard work.
2. Upon her arrival at Jess' house, with the box labeled "Clara Shipley", who does Hagar find talking to Jess?
(b) John, asking about their father.
(d) Arlene Simmons.
3. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Reily.
(b) Elva Jardine.
(c) Mrs. Dobereiner.
(d) Mrs. Soldier.
4. Hagar asks about Doris and Marvin comments that she has had one of her "spells." What is wrong with Doris?
(a) She is a raging alcoholic.
(b) She is going through menopause.
(c) She has vertigo.
(d) Her heart isn't good.
5. What causes Hagar to become nauseous and then fall in the woods?
(a) The smell of the fish.
(b) The cheese was bad.
(c) Her bowels haven't moved.
(d) The chocolate was bad.
6. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
7. Who wakes up Hagar one night to tell her something has happened to John?
(b) Henry Pearl.
(d) Jason Currie.
8. What calms Hagar as she is in the woods?
(a) Sounds and activity of the wildlife.
(b) A stream of fresh water.
(c) A woodcutter with bottle of water for her.
(d) Knowing she can always go home.
9. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
(a) The little boy is constantly correcting and critical of the little girl.
(b) They look hungry.
(c) Their clothing is old and worn.
(d) The little girl criticzes the little boy and correct him.
10. When Marvin visits Hagar the next day, what does she tell him that moves him emotionally?
(a) That he was a better son than John.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She loves Doris.
(d) His is crabby.
11. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
(a) I am going to pray for her tonight.
(b) Hagar sure is cranky.
(c) Bless her heart.
(d) Sleep will do her good.
12. Who does Hagar form and alliance with in hopes of keeping John and Arlene from marrying?
(b) Charlie Bean.
13. In the privacy of her own bedroom, why didn't Hagar cry for her dead son?
(a) She was already all cried out from losing Bram.
(b) She had held back the tears too long and couldn't cry.
(c) She really didn't care that much for John.
(d) She didn't have any tissue.
14. Hagar wants to ask Marvin about his war experiences, too soothe him by listening, but doesn't. Why not?
(a) She feels it is too late for this offer.
(b) Marvin leaves to go be with Doris.
(c) Marvin is crying too much.
(d) She tries but Marvin runs off crying.
15. What caused the death of John and Arlene?
(a) Broken hearts, when Arlene left for the East.
(b) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(c) A freight train hit them head on while they were driving across the trestle bridge.
(d) A plague of locusts.
Short Answer Questions
1. At age 90, Hagar recalls only two things she has done truly free. What are they?
2. Why didn't John want to apply for a scholarship or loan to go to college?
3. Why does Arlene Simmons bring John home one night?
4. After Mr. Troy leaves the hospital after visiting Hagar, who comes to visit Hagar?
5. What does Hagar find when she is cleaning the attic?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)