|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Dobereiner.
(b) Elva Jardine.
(c) Mrs. Reily.
(d) Mrs. Soldier.
2. What happens when Hagar offers some food to the children?
(a) They eat everything she has left.
(b) They eat the cheese and chocolate.
(c) They politely say no thank you.
(d) They run home.
3. Why does Arlene Simmons bring John home one night?
(a) He broke his leg delivering eggs.
(b) He is too lazy to drive himself home.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) His car broke down.
4. Even though Marvin hated smoking, what does he give Hagar?
(a) A pack of Camels.
(b) A small purse ashtray.
(c) Cinnamon chewing gum.
(d) A large and beautiful glass ashtray.
5. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
(a) Partly due to her restraint.
(b) Broken hearts.
(c) Drinking too much.
(d) Hard work.
6. What does Hagar tell Mr. Oatley about why she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) Her brother died.
(b) Her son died.
(c) She really liked it there.
(d) The farm needed tending to.
7. What caused the death of John and Arlene?
(a) A freight train hit them head on while they were driving across the trestle bridge.
(b) Broken hearts, when Arlene left for the East.
(c) A plague of locusts.
(d) Drinking John's potato liquor.
8. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
(a) Says water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.
(b) Grabs the glass and says yes, please, and thank you.
(c) Grabs the glass and say she can do it herself.
(d) Says no, that she doesn't need any water, thank you though.
9. What was the real reason that Hagar told Mr. Oatley she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) She didn't want to leave John alone.
(b) She really liked it there.
(c) Her son died.
(d) The farm needed tending to.
10. What do Hagar and Murray Lees share during their time together?
(a) Cigarettes, wine, and stories of their life.
(b) Fresh water, wine, and chocolates.
(c) Chocolates, cheese, and crackers.
(d) Pan-fried gull.
11. What causes Hagar to become nauseous and then fall in the woods?
(a) Her bowels haven't moved.
(b) The cheese was bad.
(c) The chocolate was bad.
(d) The smell of the fish.
12. When Marvin is leaving Hagar, a nurse comments that Hagar's heart keeps on going. In response, what comment does Marvin make to the nurse about his mother?
(a) She takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
(b) She is my little June bug.
(c) She is a "holy terror."
(d) She loves the Lord.
13. How does John tell his mother he is distilling his own liquor?
(a) From potato peelings.
(b) From grapes growing on the farm.
(c) From sweaty socks.
(d) From corn growing on the farm.
14. When it is clear that Bram is dying, Marvin comes to visit him. Hagar overhears Marvin tell Bram something that she wishes she could also say to Bram. What is it?
(a) We will be fine.
(b) Go to hell.
(c) I am sorry.
(d) You are important to me.
15. What has been John's therapy for his dying father?
(a) Stretching and good nutrition.
(b) Letting him drink the liquor he distilled.
(d) Biting on a bullet.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mr. Troy sings, what does Hagar recognize?
2. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
3. When Marvin visits Hagar the next day, what does she tell him that moves him emotionally?
4. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
5. Who does Hagar say Stephen looks like?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)