|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
(a) Henry, smoke inhalation.
(b) Charlie, hypothermia.
(c) Donnie, smoke inhalation.
(d) Donnie, drinking.
2. At the hospital, when Hagar isn't allowed to get up and go to the bathroom by herself, what is her comment?
(a) "If Bram could see me now."
(b) "No problem, I don't mind asking for help."
(c) "I'll do what I want, when I want."
(d) "I'm not good for anything but rest."
3. What happened when Hagar didn't have enough money to send John to college?
(a) He started drinking and running around with fast women.
(b) He applied for a loan.
(c) He worked part-time and put himself through college.
(d) Mr. Oatley got him a job in an office.
4. Why does Arlene Simmons bring John home one night?
(a) His car broke down.
(b) He broke his leg delivering eggs.
(c) He is too lazy to drive himself home.
(d) He is drunk.
5. What calms Hagar as she is in the woods?
(a) Knowing she can always go home.
(b) A woodcutter who offers her a bottle of water.
(c) A stream of fresh water.
(d) Sounds and activity of the wildlife.
6. When John dies, a nurse urges Hagar to cry. She doesn't, why?
(a) She really didn't care that much for John.
(b) She would never allow herself to cry in front of strangers.
(c) She was already all cried out from losing Bram.
(d) She didn't have any tissue.
7. Where is Bram burried?
(a) In the Shipley plot.
(b) In the Currie plot.
(c) He wasn't, he was cremated.
(d) On the Shipley farm.
8. Sandra is angry with Hagar when she is wheeled back in after surgery to remove her appendix. Why is Sandra angry with Hagar?
(a) For stealing the sheets off her bed.
(b) For talking in her sleep.
(c) For using bad language.
(d) For telling her the surgery wouldn't hurt.
9. Who does Hagar deliver the box labeled "Clara Shipley" to?
(a) Aunt Doll.
(c) Bram's daughter, Jess.
(d) Bram's daughter, Gladys.
10. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
(a) The nurse on duty.
(b) Dr. Tappen.
(d) Dr. Corby.
11. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
(a) Bram is really sick, and dying.
(b) There is a drought.
(c) John broke his leg.
(d) Bram is dead.
12. What do Hagar and Sandra have in common?
(a) They both like horses.
(b) Both of their husbands were farmers.
(c) They both like Dr. Tappen.
(d) Both of their fathers were storeowners.
13. Hagar asks Lottie about the incident with the chicks that happened when they were children. What is Lottie's response?
(a) She says that Hagar killed the chicks, not her.
(b) She remembers and is glad she did it.
(c) She says that Hagar has lost all her marbles and should be committed.
(d) She does not remember the incident.
14. Hagar complains about Dr. Tappen, who is he?
(a) Her childhood doctor.
(b) Elva's doctor.
(c) Her current doctor.
(d) Her childhood dog.
15. When Murray realized Hagar is ill, what does he do?
(a) Performs surgery in the cannery.
(b) Leaves and doesn't come back.
(c) Urges her to sleep.
(d) Takes her to a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell his mother he uses to distill his own liquor?
2. After Bram dies, how did Hagar soothe herself during her time in Manawaka?
3. In the semi-private room of the hospital, Hagar's new roommate is Sandra Wong, an Asian girl. Where does Hagar think she descended from?
4. Why didn't John want to apply for a scholarship or loan to go to college?
5. When Hagar returns to present time, she is startled by two things she is doing, what are they?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)