|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Murray say caused him to lose his faith?
(a) The constant interference with his drinking.
(b) The time committment.
(c) The talk of the end of the world, without a date.
(d) The fact he could only have one wife.
2. When Hagar wakes up, at the beginning of Chapter 9, who does she see?
(a) Marvin and Doris with Mr. Murray Lees.
(b) Charlie Bean.
(c) Bram and John.
(d) Dr. Corby.
3. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
(b) Dr. Corby.
(c) The nurse on duty.
(d) Dr. Tappen.
4. When will Elva get to go home from the hospital?
(b) After two more surgeries.
(c) After she puts on 100 pounds.
5. What was the real reason that Hagar told Mr. Oatley she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) Her son died.
(b) She didn't want to leave John alone.
(c) She really liked it there.
(d) The farm needed tending to.
6. Why does Arlene Simmons bring John home one night?
(a) His car broke down.
(b) He broke his leg delivering eggs.
(c) He is too lazy to drive himself home.
(d) He is drunk.
7. Hagar wants to ask Marvin about his war experiences, too soothe him by listening, but doesn't. Why not?
(a) Marvin is crying too much.
(b) She tries but Marvin runs off crying.
(c) She feels it is too late for this offer.
(d) Marvin leaves to go be with Doris.
8. Why does Hagar rarely visit her first son, Marvin, who lives nearby?
(a) She feels uncomfortable around him.
(b) He doesn't want his mother to visit.
(c) His wife, Doris, is obnoxious.
(d) She doesn't feel welcomed.
9. What does Hagar tell Mr. Oatley about why she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) The farm needed tending to.
(b) She really liked it there.
(c) Her son died.
(d) Her brother died.
10. What is Hagar afraid of, and never admits to anyone?
(a) She is afraid of potato peelings.
(b) She is afraid of real horses.
(c) She is afraid of birds.
(d) She is afraid of the dark.
11. What happens when Hagar offers some food to the children?
(a) They eat everything she has left.
(b) They eat the cheese and chocolate.
(c) They run home.
(d) They politely say no thank you.
12. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(b) Birds poop on new cars.
(c) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
(d) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
13. How does John tell his mother he is distilling his own liquor?
(a) From sweaty socks.
(b) From potato peelings.
(c) From grapes growing on the farm.
(d) From corn growing on the farm.
14. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
(b) Meditation and yoga.
(c) Pray and sing.
(d) Ask the doctor for a night shot.
15. What do Hagar and Sandra, her roommate in the hospital, have in common?
(a) They both like Dr. Tappen.
(b) Both of their fathers were storeowners.
(c) They both like horses.
(d) Both of their husbands were farmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, Hagar wakes up to her first morning at the fish cannery, she thinks it would be nice to be home, but would never admit this to Doris. Why?
2. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
3. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
4. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
5. When Murray realized Hagar is ill, what does he do?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)