|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon her arrival at Jess' house, with the box labeled "Clara Shipley", who does Hagar find talking to Jess?
(c) John, asking about their father.
(d) Arlene Simmons.
2. How does Hagar try to comfort Sandra about her upcoming surgery to remove her appendix?
(a) Tells her there is nothing to worry about.
(b) Tells her the doctor is a pro at taking an appendix out.
(c) Tells her "chin up little camper."
(d) Tells her to get up and leave the hospital, she'll be fine.
3. What wakes Hagar up at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(b) A gull.
(c) A train.
4. The night after Bram's funeral, who was the one who cried?
(a) Charlie Bean.
5. What does Hagar decorate her hair with?
(a) Fishing rope.
(b) Shells of dead June bugs.
(c) Sea shells.
(d) Some sand because it sparkles.
6. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
(a) The little boy is constantly correcting and critical of the little girl.
(b) The little girl criticzes the little boy and corrects him.
(c) Their clothing is old and worn.
(d) They look hungry.
7. When it is clear that Bram is dying, Marvin comes to visit him. Hagar overhears Marvin tell Bram something that she wishes she could also say to Bram. What is it?
(a) I am sorry.
(b) You are important to me.
(c) We will be fine.
(d) Go to Hell.
8. Why is Hagar peeved with Marvin when he tells her she can now be moved to a private room?
(a) Nothing makes Hagar happy.
(b) She likes her surroundings.
(c) She thinks she will get bored.
(d) She doesn't want to be alone.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 7, Hagar wakes up to her first morning at the fish cannery, she thinks it would be nice to be home, but would never admit this to Doris. Why?
(a) She is afraid Doris would tease her about it.
(b) If she did, it would be like admitting Doris was right in saying that Hagar could not take care of herself.
(c) She is too proud.
(d) She never shows a weakness.
10. As Mr. Troy sings, what does Hagar recognize?
(a) She has always wanted to feel joy.
(b) A bird is sitting at her window.
(c) He is tone-deaf.
(d) He can't sing well at all.
11. What has Hagar thrown joy aside for?
(a) Proper appearances, pride, and fear.
(b) Money, fame, and fortune.
(c) Fear, restraint, and honesty.
(d) Pride, humility, and grace.
12. What happened to the money that Hagar invested in the stock market?
(a) She took used it to buy her Limoge china back from Lottie Telford.
(b) She lost it in the stock market crash.
(c) She forgot about it.
(d) She doubled her investment.
13. Who did Hagar and Elva both know and exchange facts about?
(a) Henry Pearl's son.
(b) Charlie Bean.
(d) Aunt Doll.
14. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
(a) Grabs the glass and say she can do it herself.
(b) Says water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.
(c) Grabs the glass and says yes, please, and thank you.
(d) Says no, that she doesn't need any water, thank you though.
15. Hagar complains about Dr. Tappen, who is he?
(a) Her childhood doctor.
(b) Her childhood dog.
(c) Her current doctor.
(d) Elva's doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
2. What do Hagar and Murray Lees share during their time together?
3. After Hagar is found wandering the halls, what must the nurse do to her for her own safety?
4. Why does Arlene Simmons bring John home one night?
5. Why does Hagar rarely visit her first son, Marvin, who lives nearby?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)