|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Murray Lees says the watchman's dogs would have got him, if what hadn't been outside?
(a) A gun.
(b) A wounded gull.
(c) A big stick.
(d) A bear.
2. Why does Arlene Simmons bring John home one night?
(a) His car broke down.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He broke his leg delivering eggs.
(d) He is too lazy to drive himself home.
3. What does Hagar fear about the nursing home?
(a) Once she is there, she will not be able to leave.
(b) She will be forgotten.
(c) They won't have her favorite cable channel.
(d) The food will kill her.
4. When it is clear that Bram is dying, Marvin comes to visit him. Hagar overhears Marvin tell Bram something that she wishes she could also say to Bram. What is it?
(a) You are important to me.
(b) Go to hell.
(c) I am sorry.
(d) We will be fine.
5. When Hagar wakes up, at the beginning of Chapter 9, who does she see?
(a) Dr. Corby.
(b) Bram and John.
(c) Marvin and Doris with Mr. Murray Lees.
(d) Charlie Bean.
6. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
(a) To elope.
(b) To win the lottery.
(c) To go with her.
(d) To get her pregnant.
7. When Hagar returns to present time, she is startled by two things she is doing, what are they?
(a) Smoking and drinking.
(b) Eating uncontrollably and telling her story out loud.
(c) Crying and telling her story out loud.
(d) Crying and speaking German.
8. How long has Mrs. Dobereiner been at the hospital?
(a) One month.
(b) Three months.
(c) Seven months.
(d) One year.
9. What has Hagar thrown joy aside for?
(a) Pride, humility, and grace.
(b) Proper appearances, pride, and fear.
(c) Money, fame, and fortune.
(d) Fear, restraint, and honesty.
10. Why didn't John want to apply for a scholarship or loan to go to college?
(a) He said he was too old and didn't have the brains.
(b) He said he didn't have the brains.
(c) He didn't know why he should since is mother made so much money with her stocks.
(d) He said he didn't want to leave Arlene.
11. When Marvin visits Hagar the next day, what does she tell him that moves him emotionally?
(a) She loves Doris.
(b) His is crabby.
(c) That he was a better son than John.
(d) She loves him.
12. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
(a) Their clothing is old and worn.
(b) The little girl criticzes the little boy and correct him.
(c) The little boy is constantly correcting and critical of the little girl.
(d) They look hungry.
13. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Soldier.
(b) Mrs. Reily.
(c) Elva Jardine.
(d) Mrs. Dobereiner.
14. Where did Elva attend church, and how far was it from Manawaka?
(a) Freehold, 500 miles.
(b) West Freehold, 1500 miles.
(c) East Freehold, 1000 miles.
(d) Freehold, not far.
15. What does Hagar decorate her hair with?
(a) Some sand because it sparkles.
(b) Sea shells.
(c) Shells of dead June bugs.
(d) Fishing rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of diet did Hagar's doctor order for her?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, Hagar wakes up to her first morning at the fish cannery, she thinks it would be nice to be home, but would never admit this to Doris. Why?
3. At the hospital, when Hagar isn't allowed to get up and go to the bathroom by herself, what is her comment?
4. Who does Hagar deliver the box labeled "Clara Shipley" to?
5. What does Hagar,while pretending to sleep, overhear Elva say to the ladies in the public ward of the hospital?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)