|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 7, Hagar is in the woods, stops her daydreaming, and she realizes she doesn't have the strength to make it back to the groundskeepers house. Where does she go instead?
(a) The bus station.
(b) The cannery.
(c) Marvin and Doris' house.
(d) She takes a boat out to sea.
2. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
(a) Bram is dead.
(b) John broke his leg.
(c) There is a drought.
(d) Bram is really sick, and dying.
3. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
(a) Donnie, drinking.
(b) Henry, smoke inhalation.
(c) Charlie, hypothermia.
(d) Donnie, smoke inhalation.
4. Hagar tells Marvin she will go straight to Silverthreads, but where does she have to go first instead and why?
(a) Home, to pack her things.
(b) Home, because she isn't going to Silverthreads.
(c) Hospital, something showed up on her x-rays.
(d) Her new home in Shadow Point that he just bought her.
5. Why didn't John want to apply for a scholarship or loan to go to college?
(a) He said he didn't have the brains.
(b) He didn't know why he should since is mother made so much money with her stocks.
(c) He said he didn't want to leave Arlene.
(d) He said he was too old and didn't have the brains.
6. Why is Hagar peeved with Marvin when he tells her she can now be moved to a private room?
(a) She likes her surroundings.
(b) She doesn't want to be alone.
(c) Nothing makes Hagar happy.
(d) She thinks she will get bored.
7. What reduces all people in the Manawaka community to the same desperate level?
(a) A polio outbreak.
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) The new king.
(d) There is a drought.
8. What has Hagar thrown joy aside for?
(a) Pride, humility, and grace.
(b) Fear, restraint, and honesty.
(c) Proper appearances, pride, and fear.
(d) Money, fame, and fortune.
9. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
(a) Mrs. Reily.
(b) Mrs. Soldier.
(c) Mrs. Dobereiner.
(d) Elva Jardine.
10. Hagar's new roommate is Sandra Wong, in the semi-private room of the hospital, is an Asian girl. Where does Hagar think she descended from?
(a) Hong Kong.
(d) One of Mr. Oatley's illegally imported women.
11. Hagar returns to Manawaka when Bram becomes very sick. Upon seeing Hagar for the first time in years, Bram doesn't recognize Hagar at first. Later, who does he tell her she reminds him of?
(a) His first fat wife, Clara.
(d) His daughters, Jess and Gladys.
12. At the hospital, when Hagar isn't allowed to get up and go to the bathroom by herself, what is her comment?
(a) I'll do what I want, when I want.
(b) No problem, I don't mind asking for help.
(c) If Bram could see me now.
(d) "I'm not good for anything but rest."
13. What do Hagar and Sandra, her roommate in the hospital, have in common?
(a) Both of their fathers were storeowners.
(b) Both of their husbands were farmers.
(c) They both like horses.
(d) They both like Dr. Tappen.
14. How does John tell his mother he is distilling his own liquor?
(a) From potato peelings.
(b) From corn growing on the farm.
(c) From sweaty socks.
(d) From grapes growing on the farm.
15. What does Hagar tell Mr. Oatley about why she needed a few more weeks in Manawaka?
(a) The farm needed tending to.
(b) Her brother died.
(c) She really liked it there.
(d) Her son died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hagar afraid of, and never admits to anyone?
2. When will Elva get to go home from the hospital?
3. Hagar wants to ask Marvin about his war experiences, too soothe him by listening, but doesn't. Why not?
4. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
5. How does Hagar try to comfort Sandra, her roommate in the hospital, about her upcoming surgery to remove her appendix?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)