|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hagar see flirting with John when she and John go to town to sell eggs?
(a) Jess Shipley.
(b) Gladys Shipley.
(c) Arlene Simmons.
(d) Aunt Doll.
2. What does Hagar find when she is cleaning the attic?
(b) A box labeled "Clara Shipley."
(c) John's old school papers.
(d) A dead mouse.
3. Why is Hagar peeved with Marvin when he tells her she can now be moved to a private room?
(a) She likes her surroundings.
(b) She thinks she will get bored.
(c) She doesn't want to be alone.
(d) Nothing makes Hagar happy.
4. What does Murray say caused him to lose his faith?
(a) The time committment.
(b) The talk of the end of the world, without a date.
(c) The fact he could only have one wife.
(d) The constant interference with his drinking.
5. What caused the deaths of John and Arlene?
(a) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(b) A plague of locusts.
(c) Broken hearts.
(d) A freight train hit them head-on while they were driving across the trestle bridge.
6. Hagar returns to Manawaka when Bram becomes very sick. Upon seeing Hagar for the first time in years, Bram doesn't recognize her at first. Later, who does he tell her she reminds him of?
(b) His first fat wife, Clara.
(d) His daughters, Jess and Gladys.
7. After Bram dies, how did Hagar soothe herself during her time in Manawaka?
(a) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(b) Completely cleaning the Shipley house, even the attic.
(c) Walking in the cemetery.
(d) Visiting friends.
8. What causes Hagar to become nauseous and then fall in the woods?
(a) The chocolate was bad.
(b) The cheese was bad.
(c) Her bowels haven't moved.
(d) The smell of the fish.
9. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
(a) To win the lottery.
(b) To get her pregnant.
(c) To elope.
(d) To go with her.
10. In the end, Hagar cannot give up her old ways. What is her response when Doris offers her a glass of water?
(a) Grabs the glass and says yes, please, and thank you.
(b) Grabs the glass and say she can do it herself.
(c) Says no, that she doesn't need any water, thank you though.
(d) Says water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink.
11. What does Hagar decorate her hair with?
(a) Shells of dead June bugs.
(b) Some sand because it sparkles.
(c) Sea shells.
(d) Fishing rope.
12. When Marvin and Doris come to visit Hagar at the hospital again, what does Doris offer to do?
(a) Get her a bed pan.
(b) Arrange the roses.
(c) Hagar's hair.
(d) Smack her hand with a ruler if she gets out of bed again.
13. How does Hagar feel about her world in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) It is smaller than a matchbox.
(b) It is larger than life.
(c) It is even smaller, after being moved to the semi-private room.
(d) Everything is coming up roses.
14. What kind of diet did Hagar's doctor order for her?
(a) Low acid.
(b) Soft food.
(c) No diet, she can eat anything she wants.
(d) No fat.
15. Why does Hagar return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm?
(a) Bram is really sick, and dying.
(b) John broke his leg.
(c) There is a drought.
(d) Bram is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marvin is leaving Hagar, a nurse comments that Hagar's heart keeps on going. In response, what comment does Marvin make to the nurse about his mother?
2. Sandra is angry with Hagar when she is wheeled back in after surgery to remove her appendix. Why is Sandra angry with Hagar?
3. What wakes Hagar up at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Hagar complains about Dr. Tappen, who is he?
5. After Hagar is found wandering the halls, what must the nurse do to her for her own safety?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)