|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night after Bram's funeral, who was the one who cried?
(d) Charlie Bean.
2. What happened to Hagar's money that she invested in the stock market?
(a) She forgot about it.
(b) She took it out and bought her limoge china back from Lottie Telford.
(c) She lost it in the stock market crash.
(d) She doubled what she put in.
3. What does Murray say caused him to lose his faith?
(a) The fact he could only have one wife.
(b) The constant interference with his drinking.
(c) The time committment.
(d) The talk of the end of the world, without a date.
4. Hagar returns to Manawaka when Bram becomes very sick. Upon seeing Hagar for the first time in years, Bram doesn't recognize Hagar at first. Later, who does he tell her she reminds him of?
(a) His daughters, Jess and Gladys.
(d) His first fat wife, Clara.
5. Who does Hagar deliver the box labeled "Clara Shipley" to?
(a) Bram's daughter, Jess.
(b) Bram's daughter, Gladys.
(d) Aunt Doll.
6. When Marvin visits Hagar the next day, what does she tell him that moves him emotionally?
(a) His is crabby.
(b) She loves Doris.
(c) That he was a better son than John.
(d) She loves him.
7. Hagar wants to ask Marvin about his war experiences, too soothe him by listening, but doesn't. Why not?
(a) Marvin is crying too much.
(b) She feels it is too late for this offer.
(c) She tries but Marvin runs off crying.
(d) Marvin leaves to go be with Doris.
8. What calms Hagar as she is in the woods?
(a) A woodcutter with bottle of water for her.
(b) Sounds and activity of the wildlife.
(c) Knowing she can always go home.
(d) A stream of fresh water.
9. When a sea gull enters her room, what old Proverb does Hagar remember?
(a) "A bird in the house means a death in the house."
(b) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(c) Birds roosting on the wire will bring cold weather for a fire.
(d) Birds poop on new cars.
10. What did Arlene have to do in order to bring John home?
(a) Figure out how to shift gears.
(b) Stand up to her parents.
(c) Learn how to drive.
(d) Find the car keys.
11. What was Telford and Lottie's plan for Arlene, to get her away from John?
(a) To go East and raise horses.
(b) To go East and live with her Aunt Doll.
(c) To go to the convent.
(d) To go East and earn money for a year.
12. Who did Hagar and Elva both know and exchange facts about?
(a) Aunt Doll.
(b) Charlie Bean.
(d) Henry Pearl's son.
13. Where did Murray meet his wife, Lou?
(a) Local saloon where she danced.
(b) Tabernacle, where his grandfather preached.
(c) Bible camp.
(d) General store.
14. What was Murray's son's name, and how did he die?
(a) Donnie, smoke inhalation.
(b) Henry, smoke inhalation.
(c) Donnie, drinking.
(d) Charlie, hypothermia.
15. After losing jobs, and not having money to go to college, what does John decided to do?
(a) Go into show business.
(b) Go to the war.
(c) Start selling Oriental wives, like Mr. Oatley.
(d) Return to Manawaka and the Shipley farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hagar wakes up, at the beginning of Chapter 9, who does she see?
2. Who does Hagar form and alliance with in hopes of keeping John and Arlene from marrying?
3. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
4. In the cannery, what is Hagar using for a table and chairs?
5. What question does Hagar ask Stephen that surprises him?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)