|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hagar asks about Doris and Marvin comments that she has had one of her "spells." What is wrong with Doris?
(a) Her heart isn't good.
(b) She is a raging alcoholic.
(c) She is going through menopause.
(d) She has vertigo.
2. How does Elva suggest that Hagar relieve the pain in her chest?
(a) Ask the doctor for a night shot.
(c) Pray and sing.
(d) Meditation and yoga.
3. Hagar tells Marvin she will go straight to Silverthreads, but where does she have to go first instead and why?
(a) Her new home in Shadow Point that he just bought her.
(b) Home, to pack her things.
(c) Hospital, something showed up on her x-rays.
(d) Home, because she isn't going to Silverthreads.
4. What was Telford and Lottie's plan for Arlene, to get her away from John?
(a) To go East and raise horses.
(b) To go to the convent.
(c) To go East and live with her Aunt Doll.
(d) To go East and earn money for a year.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 8, who is the man who enters the room where Hagar sits?
(a) Telford Simmons.
(d) Murray Ferney Lees.
6. When Marvin and Doris come to visit Hagar at the hospital again, what does Doris offer to do?
(a) Get her a bed pan.
(b) Smack her hand with a ruler if she gets out of bed again.
(c) Hagar's hair.
(d) Arrange the roses.
7. Who is the patient that befriends Hagar in the hospital?
(a) Elva Jardine.
(b) Mrs. Dobereiner.
(c) Mrs. Soldier.
(d) Mrs. Reily.
8. When Murray realized Hagar is ill, what does he do?
(a) Takes her to a doctor.
(b) Leaves and doesn't come back.
(c) Urges her to sleep.
(d) Performs surgery in the cannery.
9. At the end of Chapter 7, Hagar is in the woods, stops her daydreaming, and she realizes she doesn't have the strength to make it back to the groundskeeper's house. Where does she go instead?
(a) Marvin and Doris' house.
(b) The bus station.
(c) The cannery.
(d) She takes a boat out to sea.
10. After Mr. Troy leaves the hospital after visiting Hagar, who comes to visit?
(a) Her grandson, Daniel.
(b) Her great grandson, Soldier.
(c) Her granddaughter, Tina.
(d) Her grandson, Stephen.
11. What does Hagar find when she is cleaning the attic?
(a) A dead mouse.
(b) A box labeled "Clara Shipley."
(d) John's old school papers.
12. Hagar asks Lottie about the incident with the chicks that happened when they were children. What is Lottie's response?
(a) She does not remember the incident.
(b) She says that Hagar killed the chicks, not her.
(c) She says that Hagar has lost all her marbles and should be committed.
(d) She remembers and is glad she did it.
13. What is John's plan for Arlene, so she doesn't leave?
(a) To elope.
(b) To get her pregnant.
(c) To win the lottery.
(d) To go with her.
14. Hagar realizes that Marvin cares deeply about Doris. What comment does Hagar make about that?
(a) She does not understand the feeling.
(b) Marvin should get his head examined.
(c) He is just confused.
(d) She doesn't understand why because Doris is greedy.
15. After Hagar is found wandering the halls, what must the nurse do to her for her own safety?
(a) Put her in a straight-jacket.
(b) Send her to the naughty corner.
(c) Sedate her.
(d) Strap her to a chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Arlene have to do in order to bring John home?
2. Hagar returns to Manawaka when Bram becomes very sick. Upon seeing Hagar for the first time in years, Bram doesn't recognize her at first. Later, who does he tell her she reminds him of?
3. Who calls Hagar by name, causing her to remember it had been a very long time since anyone called her by name?
4. What does Hagar fear about the nursing home?
5. Why is Hagar peeved with Marvin when he tells her she can now be moved to a private room?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)