|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hagar think the two men she loved died?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Partly due to her restraint.
(c) Hard work.
(d) Broken hearts.
2. In the cannery, what is Hagar using for a table and chairs?
(a) Old crates.
(b) An old folding table and a crate for a chair.
(c) An old folding table and she sits in a boat.
(d) A fine handcrafted mahogony stained oak table with twelve matching chairs.
3. Why did John continue to lose jobs?
(a) Some jobs were laying off people, others were temporary.
(b) He was lazy, like his father.
(c) He stole merchandise.
(d) Companies were going out of business.
4. Who does Hagar form and alliance with in hopes of keeping John and Arlene from marrying?
(a) Charlie Bean.
5. Sandra, Hagar's roommate in the hospital, is angry with Hagar when she is wheeled back in after surgery to remove her appendix. Why is Sandra angry with Hagar?
(a) For using bad language.
(b) For talking in her sleep.
(c) For telling her the surgery wouldn't hurt.
(d) For stealing the sheets off her bed.
6. Murray Lees says the watchman's dogs would have got him, if what hadn't been outside?
(a) A bear.
(b) A gun.
(c) A big stick.
(d) A wounded gull.
7. Where did Elva attend church, and how far was it from Manawaka?
(a) West Freehold, 1500 miles.
(b) East Freehold, 1000 miles.
(c) Freehold, not far.
(d) Freehold, 500 miles.
8. When Marvin visits Hagar the next day, what does she tell him that moves him emotionally?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She loves Doris.
(c) That he was a better son than John.
(d) His is crabby.
9. When will Elva get to go home from the hospital?
(b) After she puts on 100 pounds.
(d) After two more surgeries.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 9 while at the cannery, before being taken to the hospital, who sympathizes with Hagar on the loss of her son, and in turn she sympathizes him on the loss of his son?
(a) Marvin and Doris.
(b) Dr. Corby.
(d) Mr. Murray Lees.
11. What reduces all people in the Manawaka community to the same desperate level?
(a) A polio outbreak.
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) There is a drought.
(d) The new king.
12. After Bram dies, how did Hagar soothe herself during this time in Manawaka?
(a) Walking in the cemetery.
(b) Visiting friends.
(c) Drinking John's potato liquor.
(d) Completely cleaning the Shipley house, even the attic.
13. Hagar's new roommate is Sandra Wong, in the semi-private room of the hospital, is an Asian girl. Where does Hagar think she descended from?
(c) One of Mr. Oatley's illegally imported women.
(d) Hong Kong.
14. When Marvin is leaving Hagar, a nurse comments that Hagar's heart keeps on going. In response, what comment does Marvin make to the nurse about his mother?
(a) She is my little June bug.
(b) She takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
(c) She is a "holy terror."
(d) She loves the Lord.
15. The night after Bram's funeral, who was the one who cried?
(b) Charlie Bean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagar notice about the little girl and boy playing house?
2. After John's death, Hagar packs up and moves back to be Mr. Oatley's housekeeper. He dies a year later. How much money does he leave her?
3. When it is clear that Bram is dying, Marvin comes to visit him. Hagar overhears Marvin tell Bram something that she wishes she could also say to Bram. What is it?
4. When Hagar and John go to town to sell eggs, who does she see flirting with John?
5. When John dies, a nurse urges Hagar to cry. She doesn't, why?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)