|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hagar tell her employer, Mr. Oatley, about her husband?
(a) He died.
(b) He was lazy and common as dirt.
(c) He was over seas at war.
(d) She had never been married.
2. What did Hagar's father donate to the new church when she was a young girl?
(a) Silver candlesticks.
(b) Stained glass windows.
(c) A stone angel.
(d) A chair.
3. How does Hagar tell John that he can pull himself up? It is the same thing her father told her.
(a) By getting a real job.
(b) Lying and cheating your partners.
(d) With hard work and determination.
4. What does Hagar tell Mrs. Steiner about the death of her son John?
(a) He died in a car accident, it wasn't his fault.
(b) He was killed in the war.
(c) He drank himself to death.
(d) He died in a car accident, he was wreckless.
5. How does Hagar refer to the house when her, Marvin, and Doris leave Silverthreads?
(a) As John's house.
(b) As her house and no one elses.
(c) As her, Marvin, and Doris' house equally.
(d) As Marvin and Doris' house.
6. What is the stone angel?
(a) A cemetery monument that used to stand over the Hagar's mother's grave.
(b) Yard statue standing in Hagar's front yard.
(c) Small figurine Hagar keeps in her pocket.
(d) The Currie family moto.
7. What is Bram Shipley's reputation?
(a) He is a scoundrel and not to be trusted.
(b) He is religious and faithful.
(c) He is smart and thrifty.
(d) He is common and lazy.
8. What do Marvin and Doris do when they want to go out to the movies?
(a) They tie Hagar to the bed.
(b) They tell Hagar to be good and leave.
(c) They arrange for a sitter for Hagar.
(d) They take Hagar with them.
9. When the bus drops Hagar at the roadside at Shadow Point, what does she take pride in?
(a) That she has quit smoking.
(b) How much money she has now that she cashed her pension check.
(c) He strong arch-support shoes and best hat.
(d) Knowing she got this far on her own.
10. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
(a) She never has to go, if she doesn't want to.
(b) She is going today.
(c) In one week she is going.
(d) If she stops smoking she doesn't have to go.
11. What kind of pictures hung on the walls at the Shipley house before Hagar moved in?
(a) Pictures of horses.
(c) Pictures of wild flowers.
(d) Pictures of little brown jugs.
12. What was Hagar's occupation at Mr. Oatley's house?
(a) Headmaster of his Oriental wives.
(c) Lady of leisure.
13. What did the young people do in the Manawaka winters?
(a) Build snowmen.
(b) Skate on the frozen river.
(c) Go to Florida.
(d) Make snowcones.
14. What does Hagar sell to Lottie Telford for cash?
(a) Her mother's opal earrings, silver candelabra, and Limoge china.
(b) Her silver and glass decanter.
(c) Lots of eggs.
(d) Her mother's big chair.
15. Who does John tell Hagar she will be like, when she leaves Bram to go find work as a housekeeper?
(a) Arlene Simmons.
(b) Mrs. Steiner.
(c) Auntie Doll.
(d) Mavis Currie.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the bus ride home from Dr. Corby's office Hagar cries when a young lady offers her seat to her. What is Hagar still unable to cry for?
2. How much older is Bram Shipley than Hagar?
3. How does Hagar respond when Mrs. Steiner says she hope to see Hagar again?
4. What does Hagar find out when she calls Mrs. Conner, the doctor's wife, to introduce herself?
5. What improvements did Bram make on the Shipley place?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)