|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the bus drops Hagar at the roadside at Shadow Point, what does she take pride in?
(a) How much money she has now that she cashed her pension check.
(b) He strong arch-support shoes and best hat.
(c) That she has quit smoking.
(d) Knowing she got this far on her own.
2. Who did Jason Currie remarry after Hagar's mother died?
(a) Aunt Doll.
(b) Arlene Dreiser.
(c) Lottie Dreiser.
(d) He didn't remarry.
3. Which of Hagar's brother's died in Chapter 1 and from what?
(a) Matt, broken heart.
(b) Matt, pneumonia.
(c) Dan, scarlet fever.
(d) Dan, pneumonia.
4. How much time past before Jason Currie visited his first grandson?
(a) Five years.
(b) Two days.
(c) He never did.
(d) One week.
5. What was Hagar allowed to take from her father's house after he died?
(a) Oaken armchair and rugs.
(c) Curtains and rugs.
(d) All of the china and silver.
6. What kept impinging on the cemetery plots?
(a) Bermuda grass.
(b) Bees and grasshoppers.
(c) Wild and native flowers.
7. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
(a) If she stops smoking she doesn't have to go.
(b) In one week she is going.
(c) She is going today.
(d) She never has to go, if she doesn't want to.
8. What does the stone angel remind Hagar of?
(a) A poem by Keates.
(b) Long walks she used to take through the cemetery.
(c) Her mother.
(d) A favorite hymn.
9. After the bus drops Hagar off in Shadow Point, what does Hagar forget to buy at the service station for provisions?
(b) Protein bars.
10. What caused Hagar to never attend church again?
(a) Bram's loud comment, "Won't the saintly bastard ever shut his trap?"
(b) Her father telling her she wasn't welcome anymore.
(c) Bram's loud comment, "Preach on! Preach on sinner!"
(d) The preacher's shoes didn't match his robes.
11. What comment does Mrs. Steiner make causing Hagar to wonder how she knows so much about her?
(a) "I am a psychic"
(b) "Do you get used to life?"
(c) "Well if it isn't Hagar Shipley, I haven't seen you in ages."
(d) "I know who you are and what you've done."
12. How did Hagar feel about John at his birth?
(a) Full of pride and joy.
(c) She felt an instant connection.
(d) Strange and uncertain.
13. In the beginning of Chapter 5, how does Doris try to sooth Hagar?
(a) By giving her wine.
(b) By making her some tea.
(c) By asking her if she wants a sleeping pill.
(d) By handing her a teddy bear.
14. What is the Currie family war cry?
(a) God is love!
(b) "Gainsay Who Dare!"
(c) All for one and one for all!
(d) Last one in is a rotten egg!
15. What kind of pictures hung on the walls at the Shipley house before Hagar moved in?
(a) Pictures of little brown jugs.
(c) Pictures of horses.
(d) Pictures of wild flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what heritage are the Curries?
2. What kind of house did the Currie's own?
3. How does Hagar tell John that he can pull himself up? It is the same thing her father told her.
4. What is the stone angel supposed to do?
5. How does Hagar say good-bye to her brother, Matt, when she leaves for boarding school?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)