|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Hagar to cry on the bus ride home from Dr. Corby's office?
(a) A young woman offered Hagar her seat.
(b) She sits on a pin.
(c) The bus hits a bird.
(d) She gets chewing gum stuck on her new shoes.
2. What does Hagar do as she sits on the bed in the little building at Shadow Point?
(b) Knits and sings hymns.
(c) Eats chocolate and cheese.
(d) Watches the darkness come.
3. What does Hagar's father value?
(c) Hard work.
4. Why did Bram receive a warning from a Mountie?
(a) He was driving drunk.
(b) He sold liquor to the Indians.
(c) He didn't receive a warning, he was a fine upstanding citizen.
(d) He urinated on the steps of the Hagar's father's store.
5. How does Hagar get to the hospital to deliver her second son, John?
(a) Marvin drives her to the hospital.
(b) She drives herself.
(c) Bram drives her down the Main Street of town.
(d) She delivers him at home.
6. How much time past before Jason Currie visited his first grandson?
(a) Five years.
(b) One week.
(c) He never did.
(d) Two days.
7. Who does John's manhood remind Hagar of?
(b) Jason Currie.
(c) Charlie Bean.
8. What was Hagar allowed to take from her father's house after he died?
(a) Curtains and rugs.
(c) Oaken armchair and rugs.
(d) All of the china and silver.
9. How does Hagar tell John that he can pull himself up? It is the same thing her father told her.
(a) Lying and cheating your partners.
(c) With hard work and determination.
(d) By getting a real job.
10. In the beginning of Chapter 5, how does Doris try to sooth Hagar?
(a) By making her some tea.
(b) By giving her wine.
(c) By asking her if she wants a sleeping pill.
(d) By handing her a teddy bear.
11. What caused Hagar to never attend church again?
(a) Her father telling her she wasn't welcome anymore.
(b) Bram's loud comment, "Won't the saintly bastard ever shut his trap?"
(c) Bram's loud comment, "Preach on! Preach on sinner!"
(d) The preacher's shoes didn't match his robes.
12. Who did Jason Currie remarry after Hagar's mother died?
(a) Aunt Doll.
(b) Arlene Dreiser.
(c) Lottie Dreiser.
(d) He didn't remarry.
13. What is the stone angel supposed to do?
(a) Pray to heaven.
(b) Keep everyone safe.
(c) Guide the townspeople to heaven.
(d) Sing a hymn.
14. What kind of house did the Currie's own?
(a) Small house without plumbing or electricity.
(b) Large house, two floors and a basement.
(c) Small house with indoor plumbing.
(d) Large house, the second brick house in the town.
15. Of what heritage are the Curries?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two virtues does Hagar cite to John?
2. At her visit to Silverthreads, Hagar is seated on the veranda for a cup of tea. What does she think the tea tastes like?
3. What did Hagar fill the glass and silver wine decanter with?
4. How did Hagar feel about horses?
5. What improvements did Bram make on the Shipley place?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)