|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After getting married, what was Hagar waiting for at the Shipley place?
(a) A prince on a white horse.
(b) She didn't know what she was waiting for.
(c) Indoor plumbing.
(d) New furniture.
2. Who does John's manhood remind Hagar of?
(a) Charlie Bean.
(c) Jason Currie.
3. Which of Hagar's sons does she say is like her father, Jason Currie?
4. Which of Hagar's brother's died in Chapter 1 and from what?
(a) Matt, pneumonia.
(b) Dan, pneumonia.
(c) Dan, scarlet fever.
(d) Matt, broken heart.
5. Since Marvin manages her money, what money does Hagar plan to use to get to Shadow Point, ?
(a) She plans to sell more limoge china.
(b) She plans to use her pension check.
(c) She plans to take money from Doris' purse.
(d) She plans to get a job.
6. How does Hagar comment on Bram Shipley's dancing?
(a) He scoots his boots nicely.
(b) He dances like a prince.
(c) He is light on his feet.
(d) He has two left feet.
7. On the train ride out of town, what does John confess happened to the plaid-pin of the Curries?
(a) He lost it.
(b) He traded it to Lazarus Tonnerre for a jackknife.
(c) He dropped it in the well.
(d) He gave it to Marvin.
8. What does Hagar tell Mrs. Steiner about the death of her son John?
(a) He died in a car accident, it wasn't his fault.
(b) He was killed in the war.
(c) He died in a car accident, he was wreckless.
(d) He drank himself to death.
9. Who is Doris' minister?
(a) Mr. Troy
(b) Mr. Currie
(c) Ms. Dreiser
(d) Mr. Telford
10. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
(a) If she stops smoking she doesn't have to go.
(b) She is going today.
(c) In one week she is going.
(d) She never has to go, if she doesn't want to.
11. What is Bram Shipley's reputation?
(a) He is common and lazy.
(b) He is religious and faithful.
(c) He is smart and thrifty.
(d) He is a scoundrel and not to be trusted.
12. How does Hagar get to the hospital to deliver her second son, John?
(a) She drives herself.
(b) Marvin drives her to the hospital.
(c) She delivers him at home.
(d) Bram drives her down the Main Street of town.
13. What was the name of the horse Bram bought in Chapter 3?
(d) Charlie Bean.
14. How much older is Bram Shipley than Hagar?
(a) 14 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) He is really younger than her.
15. What does Hagar think about her son Marvin and his wife Doris?
(a) Doris is greedy and Marvin is not ambitious.
(b) Doris is stupid and Marvin is stupid.
(c) Doris is stingy and Marvin is lazy.
(d) Doris is smart and Marvin is smarter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What improvements did Bram make on the Shipley place?
2. How much time past before Jason Currie visited his first grandson?
3. What caused Hagar to never attend church again?
4. Who does John tell Hagar his best friends are when they have moved to Mr. Oatley's home?
5. How does Hagar feel, physically, as she climbs the steps to the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)