|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hagar do as she sits on the bed in the little building at Shadow Point?
(a) Knits and sings hymns.
(b) Eats chocolate and cheese.
(d) Watches the darkness come.
2. What did Hagar tell her employer, Mr. Oatley, about her husband?
(a) He was lazy and common as dirt.
(b) She had never been married.
(c) He died.
(d) He was over seas at war.
3. What do Marvin and Doris do when they want to go out to the movies?
(a) They tie Hagar to the bed.
(b) They tell Hagar to be good and leave.
(c) They arrange for a sitter for Hagar.
(d) They take Hagar with them.
4. When the bus drops Hagar at the roadside at Shadow Point, what does she take pride in?
(a) He strong arch-support shoes and best hat.
(b) Knowing she got this far on her own.
(c) How much money she has now that she cashed her pension check.
(d) That she has quit smoking.
5. What does Hagar find out when she calls Mrs. Conner, the doctor's wife, to introduce herself?
(a) The Conners don't have a son.
(b) The Conner's son is adopted.
(c) The Conners have a daughter, who looks like a boy.
(d) The Conners are getting a divorce and moving away.
6. On the bus ride home from Dr. Corby's office Hagar cries when a young lady offers her seat to her. What is Hagar still unable to cry for?
(a) The little chicks Lottie killed.
(b) The price of wheat.
(c) Her "dead men."
7. How does Hagar feel, physically, as she climbs the steps to the small night watchman's house at the cannery?
(a) She is fit as a fiddle.
(b) She is in pain.
(c) Her feet are tired from walking.
(d) She has a slight headache.
8. At her visit to Silverthreads, Hagar is seated on the veranda for a cup of tea. What does she think the tea tastes like?
(d) Wild flowers in spring.
9. How does Hagar know her father is pleased with her?
(a) When he calls her daughter.
(b) When he smiles at her.
(c) When he gives her money.
(d) When he claps for her.
10. How does Hagar say good-bye to her brother, Matt, when she leaves for boarding school?
(a) With her nose in the air and a brush of her shoulder.
(b) With a handshake and a wave from the train.
(c) With a warm hug and bitter tears.
(d) With a very cold good-bye, however she does cry after boarding the train.
11. At the end of Chapter 4, what does Marvin tell Hagar about the nursing home?
(a) In one week she is going.
(b) She never has to go, if she doesn't want to.
(c) If she stops smoking she doesn't have to go.
(d) She is going today.
12. What comment does Mrs. Steiner make causing Hagar to wonder how she knows so much about her?
(a) "Do you get used to life?"
(b) "I know who you are and what you've done."
(c) "I am a psychic"
(d) "Well if it isn't Hagar Shipley, I haven't seen you in ages."
13. What age is John when Hagar gives him the plaid-pin of the Curries?
14. After the bus drops Hagar off in Shadow Point, what does Hagar forget to buy at the service station for provisions?
(c) Protein bars.
15. With Marvin off to the war, who goes with Hagar to deliver eggs?
(b) Aunt Doll.
(c) Jason Currie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Marvin and Doris want to send Hagar to Silverthreads?
2. Who does John's manhood remind Hagar of?
3. What did the young people do in the Manawaka winters?
4. How is the Shipley house described?
5. How does Hagar refer to the house when her, Marvin, and Doris leave Silverthreads?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)