|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes a stumbling block for Jess?
2. Where do Jess and Annie have their first date?
3. What does Jess see when looking in the mirror one morning?
4. Passing as a man has robbed Jess of her ___________.
5. What happens to make Jess want to leave Buffalo for good?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jess show prejudice when she learns that Frankie took a butch lover?
2. How does Duffy inadvertently lose Jess' job for her at the plant?
3. Describe the encounter where Jess sees Butch Al in the asylum.
4. Why is Jess confused about Grant's reasons to take male hormones?
5. Ruth paints Jess' bedroom that serves as a metaphor for who they are. Describe what it is and why it is a metaphor.
6. What is the significance of the apartment fire to Jess?
7. Why does Ruth have trepidation about returning to Buffalo with Jess?
8. Describe how living in New York City elevates Jess' life in many ways.
9. What happens at a wedding that lets Jess know that she cannot continue a relationship with Annie?
10. Describe Jess' mental process as she is about to inject the male hormones.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Jess' parents. What are their physical characteristics? What are their motivations? What are their fears? What are their dreams? What else can you say about Jess' parents?
Essay Topic 2
STONE BUTCH BLUES is a classic story of betrayal and survival. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)