|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jess working at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. Where is Jess living at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. Which of the following do the police NOT do to Ed?
4. Who is the black man at the factory who may be passed over for a better job?
5. Where does Jess try to sleep on the first night on her own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jess ultimately run away from home?
2. Even though Jess experiences anti-Semitic cruelty, what eclipses this hatred directed toward her?
3. Explain why Jess has a typical gay childhood?
4. How does Jess essentially save her life by running away from home?
5. What are the circumstances in which Jess loses her butch virginity?
6. What are the circumstances related to Jess being raped during high school?
7. What unusual request can Jess not meet after the death of Butch Ro?
8. How does Jess meet Theresa?
9. Explain Jess' entry into the gay lifestyle as a young person and the way she learns to manage her emotions.
10. What is the importance of camaraderie among the factory workers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the taboo of homosexuality in the 1960s. Compare and contrast homosexuality in America during the 1960s to homosexuality in America today. What major changes have occurred both positive and negative?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)