|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jess find it hard to do after spending the summer with her friends at Tifka's?
2. What happens to Jess when her parents see her dressed in her father's suit and tie?
3. What is considered butch-femme courtship?
4. What jewels are on the ring that Jess gives to Theresa?
5. Where is Jess working in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the topic of feminism enter into Jess and Theresa's life?
2. Describe the circumstances in which Jess is deliberately set up to be hurt at the bindery.
3. Describe the first time that Jess experiences a police beating and the impact it has on her.
4. What is the significance of Jess being called a "stone" butch?
5. How does Jess accept the fact that a black man gets a job she is capable of too?
6. Why does Jess ultimately run away from home?
7. How does Jess essentially save her life by running away from home?
8. Even though Jess experiences anti-Semitic cruelty, what eclipses this hatred directed toward her?
9. What does Jess reveal about her life that many readers today would find shocking?
10. Why does Angie suggest that Jess get a job in a factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Theresa. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Theresa?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the play. Identify at least two themes in the play. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)