|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the old butches give Jess and Ed the cold shoulder after the funeral?
2. Jess finds that she is hated mostly for her ________________.
3. Where does Angie suggest that Jess get a job?
4. When did Jess start going to gay bars?
5. Who had been Butch Ro's femme?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Jess first learn that there are other people like her and that she may be able to find them?
2. How does the topic of feminism enter into Jess and Theresa's life?
3. What happens to Jess on her first night on her own?
4. What does Jess reveal about her life that many readers today would find shocking?
5. Describe the first time that Jess experiences a police beating and the impact it has on her.
6. Why does Angie suggest that Jess get a job in a factory?
7. What is the significance of Jess being called a "stone" butch?
8. How does the author insert some levity into the story?
9. Explain why Jess has a typical gay childhood?
10. What unusual request can Jess not meet after the death of Butch Ro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two themes about love in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The novel takes place in the late 1960s as America is experiencing free love, war protests and radical shifts in music. Research this period in America and create a multimedia presentation of the clothes, food, music, and people during this time.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)