|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT true about Jess in New York City?
(a) She is lonelier than ever.
(b) She has an attractive place to live.
(c) She meets a new femme.
(d) She has money.
2. What is the subject of the painting that Ruth gives Jess for Christmas?
(a) A winter landscape.
(b) A still life of fruit and flowers.
(c) A beach at sunset.
(d) Jess looking up at the stars.
3. Who is the man that Jess befriends in Chapter 16?
4. What happens to Jess at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) She moves in with Ruth.
(b) She is attacked at the subway station.
(c) She wins the lottery.
(d) She takes a trip to California.
5. Why does Jess question Frankie's relationship with Johnny?
(a) Frankie and Johnny are both butches.
(b) Frankie is married.
(c) Johnny is married.
(d) They live 500 miles apart.
6. What surgery can Jess now afford?
(a) Breast reduction.
(b) Eye lift.
(d) Scalp implants.
7. What kills Jess' job at the factory?
(a) She misses too many days.
(b) She organizes a union strike.
(c) She is late too many days.
(d) She is referred to as "she" at a union meeting.
8. Passing as a man has robbed Jess of her ___________.
9. Which old friend does Jess meet in Chapter 14?
10. Where does Jess go at the beginning of Chapter 25?
11. What injury does Jess sustain in the subway attack?
(a) Broken jaw.
(b) Stab wound.
(c) Broken leg.
(d) Fractured skull.
12. Which of the following is NOT limited to mainstream groups in society?
(b) All of these.
13. Where is Jess sitting at the end of the novel?
(a) A fire escape.
(b) A bus station.
(c) A bar.
(d) A cafe.
14. Where does Jess spend her first night in New York City?
(a) Bus station.
(c) All-night laundromat.
(d) All-night movie theatre.
15. Who is the coffee shop waitress that Jess asks on a date?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jess' male name?
2. Which of the following is something that Jess does NOT buy in Chapter 22?
3. Who is the worker Jess used to know at the bindery that has come to work at the same factory Jess works now?
4. How many children does Gloria have?
5. What is the subject of the watercolor paintings hanging in Ruth's apartment?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)