|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jess realize that the male hormone treatments are working?
(a) When the waiter gives her the check.
(b) When the barber calls her "sir."
(c) When her own mother does not recognize her.
(d) When she can enter the men's bathroom.
2. To what creature does Jess compare herself?
3. Why is Jess in a state of ambiguity after discontinuing the male hormones?
(a) She can no longer pass as one gender or another.
(b) She loses her memory.
(c) She keeps losing jobs.
(d) She has emotional outbursts all the time.
4. What is Jess' male name?
5. Where does Jess stay while recovering from the subway attack?
(a) Ruth's apartment.
(b) St. Vincent's Hospital.
(c) A hospice center.
(d) Her own apartment.
6. What happens to Jess at the beginning of Chapter 23?
(a) She moves in with Ruth.
(b) She takes a trip to California.
(c) She is attacked at the subway station.
(d) She wins the lottery.
7. Which of the following is something that Jess does NOT buy in Chapter 22?
(a) Fresh fruit.
(c) Rye bread.
8. What is the subject of the painting that Ruth gives Jess for Christmas?
(a) A winter landscape.
(b) A beach at sunset.
(c) Jess looking up at the stars.
(d) A still life of fruit and flowers.
9. Who is the man that Jess befriends in Chapter 16?
10. Jess tells Frankie that she was shocked because _________________.
(a) Frankie moved out of Buffalo.
(b) Frankie's hair is orange.
(c) Frankie had a butch lover.
(d) Frankie has lost a lot of weight.
11. What kind of business does Jess learn that Butch Jan has opened?
(c) Flower shop.
(d) Hardware store.
12. What does Jess see when looking in the mirror one morning?
(a) Some grey hairs.
(b) Stubble sprouting on her face.
(c) A rash on her neck.
(d) Bloodshot eyes.
13. Which of the following is NOT included in Jess' New York City apartment?
(c) All of these.
(d) Running water.
14. How long has it been since Jess has seen Edna?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 6 months.
15. What does Jess buy Ruth for Christmas?
(b) Sewing machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jess sitting at the end of the novel?
2. Jess buys a ________________ concert tape for Ruth.
3. What major decision does Jess make in Chapter 19?
4. Where does Jess move after leaving Buffalo?
5. Which of the following is NOT limited to mainstream groups in society?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)