|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Annie's mother's name?
2. In what province does Annie live in the novel?
3. What activity does Annie discover which makes her feel better in Session 14?
4. Chevy Stevens worked first as a rep for a giftware company and then as what?
5. How did Annie's abductor act in the first weeks after discovering she was pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annie describe her father's death in Session 2? How is the setting of the cabin described in this session?
2. How did Annie respond to seeing her child after childbirth, as described in Session 12? How did Annie's abductor respond to the baby?
3. What story does Annie relate having been told by her abductor about another woman in Session 13?
4. What rules did Annie's abductor establish for her during her captivity, as described in Session 4?
5. What did Annie's abductor seek to gain from her? Did he achieve his objective in the novel?
6. How long did Annie's abductor leave her alone in the cabin, as described in Session 8? What news did he relate upon his return?
7. What happy times does Annie describe during her captivity in Session 7?
8. What punishment does Annie describe being given by her abductor for using the restroom in Session 4? How does this still impact her?
9. Describe the bath given to Annie by her abductor, as described in Session 3. What did she call the abductor?
10. What does Annie remark about the holiday season in Session 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between the victim and victimizer in sexual and abduction crimes. How realistic is the Freak's control over Annie in the novel in comparison with true testimony of abduction victims?
Essay Topic 2
Define post-traumatic stress disorder and examine how this disorder relates to the protagonist of the novel. What is Annie's emotional standing as she comes to terms with her past?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the theme of fear in the novel. What literary devices does Chevy Stevens use to build suspense throughout the narrative?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)