|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Annie's abductor give for himself in the cabin?
2. In Session 9, Annie describes her difficult relationship with her mother and her mother's game of one-up-manship with whom?
3. What does Annie describe doing when she saw her former boyfriend at the store in Session 13?
4. By what name does Annie refer to her abductor throughout the novel?
5. In Session 1, Annie tells her psychiatrist that she is the second psychiatrist that she has been to see since escaping from her abductor less than how many months ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rules did Annie's abductor establish for her during her captivity, as described in Session 4?
2. How does Annie describe her father's death in Session 2? How is the setting of the cabin described in this session?
3. Describe the bath given to Annie by her abductor, as described in Session 3. What did she call the abductor?
4. Who delivered Annie's baby, as described in Session 11? How?
5. How does Annie describe the open house in Session 1? Who arrived and abducted her?
6. What did Annie's abductor seek to gain from her? Did he achieve his objective in the novel?
7. What does Annie describe having done to survive the emotionally taxing parts of her captivity in Session 5?
8. How did Annie respond to seeing her child after childbirth, as described in Session 12? How did Annie's abductor respond to the baby?
9. What happy times does Annie describe during her captivity in Session 7?
10. What does Annie relate about her relationship with Luke in Session 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of maternity in the novel. How does Annie's pregnancy reflect this theme? How does the Freak's relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Lorraine in the narrative. How does Annie describe her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the narrative point of view of the novel. What is the effect of the author's choice to frame the story as a psychoanalytic session?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)