|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear did people have before modern science clarified brain death?
2. What is anastomosis?
3. Why were skeletons no longer procured from there?
4. What is the purpose of acetone in the University of Michigan Medical School process that Mary Roach observes?
5. What kind of properties does Mary Roach say menstrual blood was thought to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What process is Wiigh-Masak advocating in Sweden?
2. What belief did Georges Martin try to debunk?
3. Which were the best mummies for medicinal uses?
4. Who was Dr. Joseph Guillotin and what was his opinion about the ethics of decapitation as a method of execution?
5. What was Father Armailhac's request for scientific study?
6. What did Dr. Robert White do with a monkey brain, and what was Mary Roach's question for Dr. Robert White?
7. What is a mellified man?
8. How are animals disposed of at Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, in Mary Roach's account?
9. How did Barbet test the strength of the palms for holding up a person's weight?
10. What percentage of cadavers donated to science become anatomy lab dissections?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the fascination in books like Mary Roach's, and TV shows like Bones or Crime Scene Investigators--what questions or interests are they tapping into in their audiences? Is it the living drama of the people performing the investigations, or the investigations themselves that create the interest?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does Mary Roach use for keeping you interested as a reader? Is there an arc to this book? Does it build in intensity? Does it wander? How much did you, as a reader, have to work to remain interested and attentive?
Essay Topic 3
How does reading 'Stiff' affect the way you live your days, making decisions that impact your body, which will one day, one way or another, be a cadaver?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)