|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Roach characterize the brain?
2. What did Brown-Sequard's test of Legallois' notion appear to show?
3. What was the measure of death before brain death was understood?
4. What is the advantage of water reduction?
5. What does the surgeon use to open H's chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What process is Wiigh-Masak advocating in Sweden?
2. Who was Dr. Joseph Guillotin and what was his opinion about the ethics of decapitation as a method of execution?
3. What does Mary Roach find is the Catholic perspective on composting human remains?
4. What was Pierre Barbet's conclusion about Armailhac's request?
5. What is plastination?
6. What test did French physician Brown-Sequard perform?
7. What was H being used for at the UCSF Medical Center when Mary Roach was observing?
8. Who typically sold body parts, and for what purposes?
9. What practice came from experiments from V. N. Shamov?
10. What was Father Armailhac's request for scientific study?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has the practice of burying the dead changed in the recent past, as people have become more aware of their influence on the environment?
Essay Topic 2
Americans are known for their technological optimism, that death can be defeated or overcome. What insight does Mary Roach's book give us into refusal to accept death?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the primary audience for Mary Roach's book? Who is she writing for? Whose questions is she answering?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)