|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the secretary at Ruth's company?
2. In what year does Ruth become pregnant for the second time?
3. What surprises Ruth when she and Owney kiss in Chapter 11?
4. What does Ruth do with the $22,000?
5. Where do Ruth and Owney race to in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ruth and Owney do in Chapter 11?
2. What does Rhonda and Mary hope for Ruth and her future?
3. What strange news circulates about Lanford in Chapter 12?
4. What does Toby believe is the future of Fort Niles?
5. What does Rhonda think of Mary?
6. What puts a stop to the last lobster war?
7. What do Ruth and Lanford discuss in Chapter 10?
8. How does Ruth feel about her sexual experience with Owney in Chapter 11?
9. Describe the second, third and fourth lobster wars.
10. Why is Kitty so out of sorts in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel. Ruth Thomas. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the love and romance found in the novel, particularly the relationship between Ruth and Owney. How do they meet? What is Ruth's first impression of Owney? What is the status of their relationship by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the lobster fishing culture on the islands. What information does Gilbert share with the reader about the world of lobster fishing?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)