|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the family idiot in Rhonda's family?
2. Who is Candy?
3. How does Ruth describe her first sexual experience?
4. When does Stan visit the Pommeroys in Chapter 12?
5. How is the third lobster war described as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ruth and Toby say to one another on the topic of religion in Chapter 10?
2. What are the other characters doing in the Epilogue?
3. Why are Ruth and Owney left alone in Chapter 7? What does Owney show Ruth?
4. What does Rhonda and Mary hope for Ruth and her future?
5. How did Stan and Angus become estranged for eight months?
6. What happens at the end of Chapter 11?
7. What does Owney want to be when he is older?
8. Why is Kitty so out of sorts in Chapter 12?
9. What do Stan and Ruth fight about in Chapter 12?
10. Describe the second, third and fourth lobster wars.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Ruth throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Stern Men". Who dies in the novel and why? How do these deaths affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ruth's dreams and why she desires them. What is the connection between Ruth's dreams and ambitions and the setting of the novel? What obstacles might have prevented Ruth from achieving her dreams?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)