|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ruth ask directions from when she becomes lost in the woods in Chapter 10?
2. What does Angus fill Courne Haven traps with?
3. Why does Lanford remain in Fort Niles in Chapter 12?
4. What isle's demise does Toby speak of in Chapter 10?
5. Who is Candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Stan's marriage to Mary during the lobster wars and immediately following the lobster war?
2. How has Ruth's personal life changed by the Epilogue?
3. What event is taking place in Chapter 10?
4. Why are Ruth and Owney left alone in Chapter 7? What does Owney show Ruth?
5. Describe the drive to Rockland in Chapter 7.
6. What do Ruth and Toby say to one another on the topic of religion in Chapter 10?
7. How does Ruth feel about her sexual experience with Owney in Chapter 11?
8. What strange news circulates about Lanford in Chapter 12?
9. What do Stan and Ruth fight about in Chapter 12?
10. What happens when Stan visits Ruth at Rhonda's in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the urban versus rural theme of the novel. How does Gilbert illustrate this theme? How does this theme relate to other themes and motifs of the novel? How are the urban settings depicted? How are the rural settings depicted?
Essay Topic 2
A theme of the novel is rich versus poor. Who represent the "rich" and who represents the "poor"? How do these two entities clash throughout the novel? How is Ruth caught between the two?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Stern Men". Who dies in the novel and why? How do these deaths affect the other characters?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)