|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ruth and Owney stop doing when they return home in Chapter 11?
2. When was the fourth lobster war?
3. Where does Ruth find Owney in Chapter 11?
4. Who is waiting for Ruth and Owney when they return home in Chapter 11?
5. Who is president of Ruth's company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Owney want to be when he is older?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 11?
3. Why does Owney have hidden lobsters?
4. What does Rhonda and Mary hope for Ruth and her future?
5. What strange news circulates about Lanford in Chapter 12?
6. What does Toby believe is the future of Fort Niles?
7. What does Rhonda think of Mary?
8. What are the other characters doing in the Epilogue?
9. How has Ruth's personal life changed by the Epilogue?
10. What happens when Stan visits Ruth at Rhonda's in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel "Stern Men". Who is separated from one another in the novel? How do these separations impact the relationships of the characters involved? Who is Ruth separated from in the novel? How does she feel about this separation and how does it impact her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the lobster fishing culture on the islands. What information does Gilbert share with the reader about the world of lobster fishing?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel. Ruth Thomas. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)