|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ruth call Stan a liar and a coward in Chapter 12?
2. Why is Rhonda the only widow on Fort Niles?
3. Who gets married in July of 1976?
4. What does Toby recommend Ruth do when she visits his room in Chapter 10?
5. What does Ruth do when she sees Lanford grin at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ruth doing for a living in the Epilogue?
2. What happens when Stan visits Ruth at Rhonda's in Chapter 12?
3. What do Stan and Ruth fight about in Chapter 12?
4. What do Ruth and Owney do in Chapter 11?
5. What does Rhonda and Mary hope for Ruth and her future?
6. What do Ruth and Toby say to one another on the topic of religion in Chapter 10?
7. How did Stan and Angus become estranged for eight months?
8. What do Ruth and Lanford discuss in Chapter 10?
9. How have Rhonda's sons lived since Ira's death?
10. Describe the second, third and fourth lobster wars.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Stern Men", Elizabeth Gilbert. What are some of the other works she has written? Compare the themes of these other works to "Stern Men".
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel. Ruth Thomas. What are her defining character traits? What is most important to her and why? What important events take place during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How might Ruth's life have been different if she had not lived in the lobster fishing community?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)