|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the wife of Robin?
2. Why had Mary always been treated with suspicion by the islanders?
3. Who's quarries can be found on Courne Haven?
4. What causes Ruth to cry at the end of Chapter 1?
5. What are the quarries on the islands filled with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 4 when Ruth tells Stan and Angus about the money Lanford gave her?
2. Who is Ebbett Thomas?
3. Describe the funeral in Chapter 1.
4. Why does Ruth flee to Rhonda's in Chapter 5? What is Rhonda doing when Ruth arrives?
5. Why is Ruth sent to Delaware? How does she feel about this move?
6. Describe Ruth's birth.
7. What does Ruth do after graduation?
8. What do Simon and Ruth talk about as they watch Webster in Chapter 2?
9. Who is Ricky? What does the reader learn about Ricky in Chapter 6?
10. What do Simon and Webster look for at Potter Beach in Chapter 2 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the lobster fishing culture on the islands. What information does Gilbert share with the reader about the world of lobster fishing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel "Stern Men". Who is separated from one another in the novel? How do these separations impact the relationships of the characters involved? Who is Ruth separated from in the novel? How does she feel about this separation and how does it impact her?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ruth's dreams and why she desires them. What is the connection between Ruth's dreams and ambitions and the setting of the novel? What obstacles might have prevented Ruth from achieving her dreams?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)