|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stan anger Angus in Chapter 4?
2. Who does Toby believe is Ruth's father in Chapter 5?
3. What does Stan not care about when it comes to Ruth?
4. Where do most of the island children attend high school?
5. What state are Fort Niles and Courne Haven islands off the coast of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth think of Vera?
2. How are Fort Niles and Courne Haven islands alike?
3. What does Ruth think of Angus?
4. Why does Ruth flee to Rhonda's in Chapter 5? What is Rhonda doing when Ruth arrives?
5. What nationalities have married one another to create a distinctive population on these islands?
6. Who is Cal Cooley?
7. What happens in Chapter 4 when Ruth tells Stan and Angus about the money Lanford gave her?
8. How do Stan and Mary meet? What do they think of one another when they first meet?
9. What do Simon and Webster look for at Potter Beach in Chapter 2 and why?
10. Who is Ricky? What does the reader learn about Ricky in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their roles in the novel? Describe their relationships with Ruth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the love and romance found in the novel, particularly the relationship between Ruth and Owney. How do they meet? What is Ruth's first impression of Owney? What is the status of their relationship by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Ruth throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)