|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chester do after serving in the army?
(a) He became a prison guard in a state prison.
(b) He married and had three children.
(c) He opened a french-style restaurant along the bayou.
(d) He joined the Gypsy Bandoleer Bandits.
2. What does Owney do after working as Stan's sternman for two years?
(a) Buys a fiberglass boat and grows rich.
(b) Travels on the mainland and attracts business to the islands.
(c) Works for Ruth.
(d) Buys and sells shares.
3. What does Toby recommend Ruth do when she visits his room in Chapter 10?
(a) Go to college.
(b) Read the Bible's wonderful stories.
(c) Marry someone who is not connected to the island.
(d) Clean up after herself.
4. What does Ruth do when she sees Lanford grin at the end of the novel?
(a) She laughs heartily.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She kisses him on the forehead.
(d) She smiles and leaves without saying a word.
5. Who's skull does Webster find in Chapter 12?
(a) Joan Saunders-Ellis'.
(b) Jane Smith-Ellis'.
(c) Janny Samson-Ellis'.
(d) Jenny Simpson-Ellis'.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like when Ruth is asked to wait at the dock in Chapter 7?
2. Who is estranged for eight months after a heated verbal fight?
3. What do younger lobstermen tend to be?
4. What did Ruth think her first experience with sex would be like?
5. Who is waiting for Ruth and Owney when they return home in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Stan and Angus become estranged for eight months?
2. How have Rhonda's sons lived since Ira's death?
3. What does Owney want to be when he is older?
4. Why does Owney have hidden lobsters?
5. Describe the second, third and fourth lobster wars.
6. Where do Ruth and Owney go in Chapter 11?
7. How does Ruth's relationship with Lanford conclude in the Epilogue?
8. What strange news circulates about Lanford in Chapter 12?
9. What does Toby believe is the future of Fort Niles?
10. What are the other characters doing in the Epilogue?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)