|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who builds a coffin in Chapter 1?
(b) Ruth's grandfather.
(c) The Pommeroys.
(d) Ruth's father.
2. Who does not contribute to the distinctive population?
(a) The Italians working on Fort Niles.
(b) The Spanish who spend their summers on the islands.
(c) The French that live along the coast.
(d) The English that oversee the workmen.
3. Which of the following do Fort Niles and Courne Haven have in common?
(a) Community leaders.
(c) Island shape and size.
4. How many sons do the Pommeroys have?
5. Who is Vera?
(a) The niece of Dr. Jules Ellis.
(b) The sister of Dr. Jules Ellis.
(c) The daughter of Dr. Jules Ellis.
(d) The wife of Dr. Jules Ellis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kitty call Ruth a tourist in Chapter 5?
2. How does Simon try to help Rhonda financially?
3. Who tells Stan all about Mary's history in Chapter 6?
4. What is the name of the store that remains in Chapter 3?
5. What does Stan not care about when it comes to Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Simon and Webster look for at Potter Beach in Chapter 2 and why?
2. Who is Mary? What does the reader learn of Mary's past in Chapter 4?
3. Describe Mary's wedding.
4. What does Ruth do after graduation?
5. What happens in Chapter 4 when Ruth tells Stan and Angus about the money Lanford gave her?
6. How do mother and daughter greet one another in Chapter 5?
7. Describe Ruth's childhood as described in Chapter 1.
8. Why is Ruth sent to Delaware? How does she feel about this move?
9. How are the men on the islands described?
10. What do Ruth, Cal and Toby talk about while on the New Hope in Chapter 5?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)