|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ebbett wait for in the prologue?
2. Who is Angus responsible for looking after?
(a) His senile mother.
(b) No one.
(c) His brother and cookie.
(d) His daughter.
3. What does Angus demand Ruth do in Chapter 4?
(a) Clean out the traps.
(b) Get a good night's rest.
(c) Return the money to Lanford.
(d) Go to her mother's side.
4. Who is Kitty married to?
5. What does Simon hire Webster to do?
(a) Explore the mudflats.
(b) Clean out his fishing boat.
(c) Cook and clean for him.
(d) Follow Ruth around and report back to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who builds a coffin in Chapter 1?
2. What is Cal polishing when Ruth and the others approach him in Chapter 3?
3. How do the locals feel about the Ellises?
4. What is Ruth's first word?
5. Why is Kitty being threatened with eviction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Simon try to help Rhonda in Chapter 1?
2. Describe the scenery along Ellis Road.
3. What does Ruth do after graduation?
4. Why does Ruth flee to Rhonda's in Chapter 5? What is Rhonda doing when Ruth arrives?
5. Who is Jane? What does the reader learn of Jane's past in Chapter 4?
6. How are the men on the islands described?
7. What does Ruth think of Vera?
8. What do Ruth, Cal and Toby talk about while on the New Hope in Chapter 5?
9. Describe the funeral in Chapter 1.
10. Who is Cal Cooley?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)