|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth say to her mother when she sees her at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) "Here I am."
(b) I'm hungry."
(c) "I hate you."
(d) "Hello, Mother."
2. What does Toby think of lobster fishing as a profession?
(a) He thinks it is dirty but necessary.
(b) He thinks it is savage and greedy.
(c) He thinks it is a noble profession.
(d) He thinks it is wholly unnecessary.
3. What does Ruth write to Mary about in Chapter 2?
(a) The relief she feels at being home.
(b) How she hates being home.
(d) How she wishes she were wealthy so she could travel the world.
4. When was Ruth's grandmother adopted?
5. What does Ebbett Thomas not do that the other men do?
(a) Leave for the mainland.
(b) Blame the overseers.
(c) Get married.
(d) Go to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's quarries can be found on Courne Haven?
2. What is the weather like when Ruth is born?
3. What does Angus demand Ruth do in Chapter 4?
4. How many miles off the coast are Fort Niles and Courne Haven?
5. How does Stan anger Angus in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruth flee to Rhonda's in Chapter 5? What is Rhonda doing when Ruth arrives?
2. What does Ruth think of Vera?
3. What nationalities have married one another to create a distinctive population on these islands?
4. Who are the members of Ebbett's family?
5. What does Simon tell Rhonda not to do in Chapter 1? Why does he give her this advice?
6. Why does Ruth go in to see Lanford alone in Chapter 3? How does he greet her?
7. Who is Mary? What does the reader learn of Mary's past in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the funeral in Chapter 1.
9. Describe Ruth's childhood as described in Chapter 1.
10. Describe the scenery along Ellis Road.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)