|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Ruth's grandmother adopted?
2. Who is Kitty married to?
3. Why does Vera order Cal to drive home in Chapter 6?
(a) She hears that Mr. Blaire has retired.
(b) Cal is not feeling well.
(c) She is feeling ill.
(d) There is a storm approaching.
4. Where do most of the island children attend high school?
5. Who are Gloria and Kitty?
(a) Mary's aunts.
(b) Rhonda's sisters.
(c) Ruth's school friends.
(d) Ruth's niece's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth's first word?
2. Which room does Ruth enter alone in Chapter 3?
3. Who is described as being an aggressive lobsterman?
4. What does Simon search for at Potter Beach when he is 73?
5. What are the names of Ebbett's sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary's wedding.
2. Who dies in Chapter 1? How does this death impact the other characters?
3. What does Cal complain about when he finds Ruth in Chapter 5?
4. What does Ruth do after graduation?
5. What do Simon and Webster look for at Potter Beach in Chapter 2 and why?
6. Why does Ruth flee to Rhonda's in Chapter 5? What is Rhonda doing when Ruth arrives?
7. How do Stan and Mary meet? What do they think of one another when they first meet?
8. What happens in Chapter 4 when Ruth tells Stan and Angus about the money Lanford gave her?
9. Describe Ruth's childhood as described in Chapter 1.
10. What do Simon and Ruth talk about as they watch Webster in Chapter 2?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)