|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Angus decide not to hire Ruth as a sternman in Chapter 4?
(a) Ruth is not available when he needs her to work.
(b) He is sexist.
(c) Ruth is too small.
(d) He needs to keep costs down.
2. Why is Kitty being threatened with eviction?
(a) Because she has not paid rent for almost a year.
(b) Because of her drunkenness.
(c) Because she has loud fights that wake up the neighbors.
(d) Because of her noisy dog.
3. What first attracts Stan to Mary?
(a) Her self-confidence.
(b) Her feminine giggle.
(c) Her intelligence.
(d) Her pretty face and figure.
4. How many children does Ebbett have?
5. How are the men on the islands described?
(a) As lazy and stupid.
(b) As artsy and creative.
(c) As hard working and stubborn.
(d) As being fiercely competitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Stan and Mary get married?
2. When did the Clarice Monroe sink?
3. To what type of establishment is Ruth sent unwillingly in Chapter 2?
4. Why doesn't Simon attend the funeral in Chapter 1?
5. What does Ebbett Thomas not do that the other men do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the members of Ebbett's family?
2. What does Ruth think of Angus?
3. Who dies in Chapter 1? How does this death impact the other characters?
4. How are the men on the islands described?
5. How do Stan and Mary meet? What do they think of one another when they first meet?
6. Describe the scenery along Ellis Road.
7. Who is Mary? What does the reader learn of Mary's past in Chapter 4?
8. Describe Ruth's childhood as described in Chapter 1.
9. What do Simon and Webster look for at Potter Beach in Chapter 2 and why?
10. Who is Ebbett Thomas?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)