|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rhonda's favorite child?
2. What does Simon want Ruth to get from Lanford in Chapter 8?
(a) The tusk.
(c) His antique pocket watch.
(d) Some food.
3. Where does Ruth find Owney in Chapter 11?
(a) In the woods.
(b) On the porch.
(c) By the shore.
(d) In the garden.
4. What kind of reputation can a lobsterman not afford?
(a) A reputation of passivity.
(b) A reputation of generosity.
(c) A reputation of greed.
(d) A reputation of lowbrow tactics.
5. What news about Ruth does Kitty tell Stan in Chapter 12?
(a) Ruth is pregnant.
(b) Ruth is moving to her mother's.
(c) Ruth is ill.
(d) Ruth is going to college.
6. What does Toby recommend Ruth do when she visits his room in Chapter 10?
(a) Clean up after herself.
(b) Marry someone who is not connected to the island.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Read the Bible's wonderful stories.
7. What does Angus fill Courne Haven traps with?
(b) Discarded clothes and blankets.
(c) Garbage and rubble.
8. What isle's demise does Toby speak of in Chapter 10?
(a) The Isle of Sawpon.
(b) The Isle of Servrey.
(c) The Isle of Shoals.
(d) The Isle of Spalart.
9. What does Cal argue with Ruth about in Chapter 7?
(a) Whether Ruth is old enough to date.
(b) Whether he or Ruth's mother is the bigger sycophant.
(c) Whether Ruth should return to the island or not.
(d) Whether Cal or Angus is better looking.
10. What is the weather like when Ruth is asked to wait at the dock in Chapter 7?
(a) It is bright and sunny.
(b) It is hailing.
(c) It is raining.
(d) It is windy and very cold.
11. Where do Ruth and Owney race to in Chapter 11?
(a) A cave.
(b) A small beach.
(c) A boat.
(d) The wedding.
12. Who gets married in July of 1976?
(a) Amelia Farnsworth and Karl Guigenheim.
(b) Paulette Grouix and Bart Williams.
(c) Dotty Wishnell and Charlie Burden.
(d) Natalie Dupont and Larry Hammersmith.
13. What does Owney show Ruth near a tiny island in Chapter 7?
(a) A hidden lobster trap.
(b) His fort.
(c) A stash of alcohol and cigarettes.
(d) A beautiful view.
14. What type of boat does Ruth go in with Owney in Chapter 7?
(a) A fishing boat.
(b) A rowboat.
(c) A yacht.
(d) A sailboat.
15. What do Ruth and Owney stop doing when they return home in Chapter 11?
(b) Discussing their future.
(c) Holding hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to John while he was in the army?
2. What does Ruth do when she sees Lanford grin at the end of the novel?
3. Who is Chucky Strachan?
4. When was the second lobster war?
5. What does Cal do as he drives Ruth back to Rockland in Chapter 7?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)