|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rhonda set up a temporary salon in Chapter 10?
(a) At Ruth's house.
(b) In an abandoned factory.
(c) In the back garden of Toby's house.
(d) In her house.
2. Who does Ruth live with in July, August and early September of 1976?
3. Who does Ruth ask directions from when she becomes lost in the woods in Chapter 10?
(a) An old widow.
(b) A group of traveling merchants.
(c) A couple in love.
(d) A hunter.
4. Why does Owney maintain traps?
(a) To prove that he knows lobsters.
(b) He is interested in lobsters.
(c) To make some money on the side.
(d) To impress his uncle.
5. What does Toby need before the small group can leave the dock in Chapter 7?
(c) A few moments alone with Ruth.
(d) A bathroom break.
6. What surprises Ruth when she and Owney kiss in Chapter 11?
(a) When Owney uses his tongue.
(b) How easy it is.
(c) How the fear of being caught melts away.
(d) How much she dislikes the kiss.
7. Who gets married in July of 1976?
(a) Paulette Grouix and Bart Williams.
(b) Natalie Dupont and Larry Hammersmith.
(c) Amelia Farnsworth and Karl Guigenheim.
(d) Dotty Wishnell and Charlie Burden.
8. Why does Lanford remain in Fort Niles in Chapter 12?
(a) To speak to Stan.
(b) To see Ruth.
(c) The weather is poor.
(d) To enjoy the views.
9. What does Ruth do when she sees Lanford grin at the end of the novel?
(a) She kisses him on the forehead.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She smiles and leaves without saying a word.
(d) She laughs heartily.
10. Who takes up with Florida Cobb in Chapter 12?
11. What kind of reputation can a lobsterman not afford?
(a) A reputation of greed.
(b) A reputation of generosity.
(c) A reputation of passivity.
(d) A reputation of lowbrow tactics.
12. What does Fagan do for a living?
(a) He is a lobster fisherman.
(b) He is a potato farmer.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He is a carpenter.
13. When Ruth leaves Toby's room in Chapter 10, what does she wish she had declared to him?
(a) That she is in love.
(b) That she is an atheist.
(c) That she is dying.
(d) That she is pregnant.
14. What did Lanford tell Ruth to do when she was sixteen?
(a) Wear longer dresses.
(b) Wear her hair off her face.
(c) Pursue an education.
(d) Save her pennies.
15. How does the groom look at the wedding in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Owney's uncle not allow him to do as of Chapter 7?
2. What does Ruth sell for $22,000?
3. What isle's demise does Toby speak of in Chapter 10?
4. According to Kitty, who is the only one to be able to make a bride happy?
5. Where do Ruth and Owney race to in Chapter 11?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)