|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ruth go to the Addams' house in Chapter 8?
(a) To help with Mrs. Addams' chores.
(b) To try and sell some wares.
(c) To spend time with the children there.
(d) To avoid going home.
2. What smells horribly in Chapter 7?
(b) Burnt Toast.
3. According to Kitty, who is the only one to be able to make a bride happy?
(a) Her groom.
(d) Her maid of honor.
4. What did Lanford tell Ruth to do when she was sixteen?
(a) Pursue an education.
(b) Wear longer dresses.
(c) Save her pennies.
(d) Wear her hair off her face.
5. What surprises Ruth when she and Owney kiss in Chapter 11?
(a) How much she dislikes the kiss.
(b) When Owney uses his tongue.
(c) How the fear of being caught melts away.
(d) How easy it is.
6. What happened to John while he was in the army?
(a) He disappeared in Germany.
(b) His arm was amputated.
(c) He was a prisoner of war.
(d) He was shot in the leg.
7. What does Ruth do when she sees Lanford grin at the end of the novel?
(a) She laughs heartily.
(b) She smiles and leaves without saying a word.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She kisses him on the forehead.
8. Who gives Ruth and Cal the horrible smelling item in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Ruth call Stan a liar and a coward in Chapter 12?
(a) Because he did not save the family pet from drowning.
(b) Because he allows Angus to bully him.
(c) Because he never expresses an opinion about anything.
(d) Because he lied to her about her real family.
10. What does Ruth do for most of the fall of 1976?
(a) She saves up money.
(b) She dreams of Owney.
(c) She lays low.
(d) She studies.
11. In what year does Ruth become pregnant for the second time?
12. When does Stan visit the Pommeroys in Chapter 12?
(a) The first week of November.
(b) The first of December.
(d) The end of November.
13. Where does Ruth hide when Stan visits the Pommeroys' house in Chapter 12?
(a) In the shoe closet.
(b) In the pantry.
(c) Under the table.
(d) Under a bed.
14. Who gets married in July of 1976?
(a) Natalie Dupont and Larry Hammersmith.
(b) Dotty Wishnell and Charlie Burden.
(c) Amelia Farnsworth and Karl Guigenheim.
(d) Paulette Grouix and Bart Williams.
15. Who is David?
(a) Ruth's cousin.
(b) Ruth's nephew.
(c) Ruth's brother.
(d) Ruth's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angus fill Courne Haven traps with?
2. Why does Owney maintain traps?
3. What type of boat does Ruth go in with Owney in Chapter 7?
4. Who's skull does Webster find in Chapter 12?
5. What does Cal argue with Ruth about in Chapter 7?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)