|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of reputation can a lobsterman not afford?
(a) A reputation of lowbrow tactics.
(b) A reputation of greed.
(c) A reputation of passivity.
(d) A reputation of generosity.
2. What does Owney show Ruth near a tiny island in Chapter 7?
(a) A beautiful view.
(b) A hidden lobster trap.
(c) A stash of alcohol and cigarettes.
(d) His fort.
3. Who ends up in a coma after a fight in Wayside Hotel bar in Rockland?
4. When does Toby think Fort Niles will be abandoned?
(a) Sooner rather than later.
(c) In two decades.
(d) In less than a decade.
5. What do younger lobstermen tend to be?
6. Who is the family idiot in Rhonda's family?
7. Who is Chucky Strachan?
(a) The best man at the wedding.
(b) The bartender at the wedding.
(c) The father of the bride at the wedding.
(d) The brother of the groom at the wedding.
8. What does Fagan do for a living?
(a) He is a carpenter.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is a lobster fisherman.
(d) He is a potato farmer.
9. Where does Ruth kiss Owney in Chapter 11?
(a) Near a sheer wall of granite.
(b) In the garden at the house.
(c) In Owney's bedroom.
(d) Under a large oak tree.
10. Who does Ruth ask directions from when she becomes lost in the woods in Chapter 10?
(a) A group of traveling merchants.
(b) A hunter.
(c) An old widow.
(d) A couple in love.
11. What does Cal do as he drives Ruth back to Rockland in Chapter 7?
(a) He coughs and coughs.
(b) He smokes a cigar.
(c) He talks endlessly.
(d) He sings his favorite songs.
12. What do Ruth and Owney stop doing when they return home in Chapter 11?
(b) Discussing their future.
(c) Holding hands.
13. What does Ruth do when she sees Lanford grin at the end of the novel?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) She kisses him on the forehead.
(c) She laughs heartily.
(d) She smiles and leaves without saying a word.
14. What smells horribly in Chapter 7?
(b) Burnt Toast.
15. How does Ruth describe how she and Owney make love in Chapter 11?
(a) As very professional.
(b) Quickly and with determination.
(c) As awkwardly.
(d) Slowly and tenderly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ruth most proud of in the epilogue?
2. What does Cal argue with Ruth about in Chapter 7?
3. How does Ruth describe her first sexual experience?
4. Who takes up with Florida Cobb in Chapter 12?
5. What nickname does Stan earn after the end of the war?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)