|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary doing when she meets Stan Thomas?
(a) Swimming in the lake.
(b) Organizing a community picnic.
(c) Practicing for her piano recital.
(d) Reading a book at the library.
2. What are the quarries on the islands filled with?
(b) Spring water.
(d) Rain water.
3. What does Simon search for at Potter Beach when he is 73?
(a) The ring of his deceased wife.
(b) The tusks of a circus elephant.
(c) His old tennis shoes.
(d) A rare type of shell.
4. To what type of establishment is Ruth sent unwillingly in Chapter 2?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A finishing school.
(c) A girl's boarding school.
(d) An acting school.
5. Who is Angus responsible for looking after?
(a) His senile mother.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His brother and cookie.
(d) No one.
6. What does Simon bring the Pommeroys in Chapter 1?
(a) A casserole.
(b) Some wine and cheese.
(c) A new radio.
(d) A book and some rum.
7. How does Simon try to help Rhonda financially?
(a) He asks for a haircut.
(b) He lends her a small loan.
(c) He encourages her to sell her baking.
(d) He hides money throughout her house.
8. What is the name of the store that remains in Chapter 3?
(a) Ellis General Store.
(b) Ellis Granite Company Store.
(c) Ellis Penny and Dime.
(d) Ellis Company General Store.
9. What does Vera think of Mary's marriage?
(a) She is very satisfied with the union.
(b) She accepts the idea after some time.
(c) She disapproves.
(d) She feels indifferently towards the idea.
10. Where does Ruth go to live in Chapter 2?
(c) New York City.
11. If Ebbett had lived long enough, how would he have felt about Ruth?
(a) He would have admired her.
(b) He would have liked her.
(c) He would have found her quite perplexing.
(d) He would have hated her.
12. What does Ebbett do during the war years?
(a) He builds houses.
(b) He sleeps and listens to the radio all day.
(c) He writes letters to his old sweetheart.
(d) He hides his boat and gear.
13. Who is the wife of Robin?
14. When was Ruth's grandmother adopted?
15. Where do most of the island children attend high school?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kitty call Ruth a tourist in Chapter 5?
2. Who's quarries can be found on Courne Haven?
3. What do the women in the neighborhood doubt about Mary in Chapter 1?
4. Who officiates the wedding of Stan and Mary?
5. Who is Mary?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)