|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruth say to her mother when she sees her at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) "I hate you."
(b) I'm hungry."
(c) "Hello, Mother."
(d) "Here I am."
2. Where do most of the island children attend high school?
3. Which room does Ruth enter alone in Chapter 3?
(a) The cellar.
(b) Lanford's bedroom.
(c) The girl's washroom.
(d) The kitchen pantry.
4. Who does Ruth find drinking with Angus in Chapter 4?
(a) Her father.
5. Who is Ruth?
(a) Ebbett's niece.
(b) Ebbett's great-niece.
(c) Ebbett's granddaughter.
(d) Ebbett's daughter.
6. What is the weather like when Ruth is born?
(a) Freezing cold.
7. Who is Kitty married to?
8. How does Simon keep his house?
(b) It is a complete pigsty.
(c) A tad messy.
(d) Stark and without character.
9. Where does Mary live?
(a) Laconia, New Hampshire.
(b) Rochester, New Hampshire.
(c) Brookfield, New Hampshire.
(d) Concord, New Hampshire.
10. What is the name of the store that remains in Chapter 3?
(a) Ellis Penny and Dime.
(b) Ellis Company General Store.
(c) Ellis Granite Company Store.
(d) Ellis General Store.
11. What causes Ruth to cry at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A tasteless joke.
(b) She falls and scrapes her leg.
(c) Her father yells at her.
(d) She is sad over the recent death.
12. What are the names of Ebbett's sons?
(a) Gregory and Wilson.
(b) Stanley and Len.
(c) Peter, Jack, Samuel and Carl.
(d) Ricky, Jonas and Paul.
13. What does Senator Simon Adams deliver in Chapter 1?
(a) Some old clothes and rags.
(b) A pie baked by his mother.
(c) A ticket to California.
(d) Healing chicken stock.
14. Why does Angus decide not to hire Ruth as a sternman in Chapter 4?
(a) He is sexist.
(b) He needs to keep costs down.
(c) Ruth is too small.
(d) Ruth is not available when he needs her to work.
15. What do the women in the neighborhood doubt about Mary in Chapter 1?
(a) That she will find happiness.
(b) That she will live.
(c) That she will ever leave the island.
(d) That she will ever marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon hire Webster to do?
2. Why doesn't Simon attend the funeral in Chapter 1?
3. What state are Fort Niles and Courne Haven islands off the coast of?
4. When did the Clarice Monroe sink?
5. How many miles off the coast are Fort Niles and Courne Haven?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)