|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Simon keep his house?
(b) Stark and without character.
(c) A tad messy.
(d) It is a complete pigsty.
2. Why does Angus decide not to hire Ruth as a sternman in Chapter 4?
(a) He is sexist.
(b) Ruth is too small.
(c) Ruth is not available when he needs her to work.
(d) He needs to keep costs down.
3. How many children does Ebbett have?
4. Who is Ruth?
(a) Ebbett's niece.
(b) Ebbett's great-niece.
(c) Ebbett's daughter.
(d) Ebbett's granddaughter.
5. What does Senator Simon Adams deliver in Chapter 1?
(a) Some old clothes and rags.
(b) Healing chicken stock.
(c) A pie baked by his mother.
(d) A ticket to California.
6. Who is described as being an aggressive lobsterman?
7. What produces a distinctive population on these islands?
(a) A native race that resides only on these islands.
(b) The settlers did not and have not married outside their race.
(c) The intermarriage among the Germans and the Japanese.
(d) The intermarriage among the Scottish and the Irish.
8. What question does Simon often ask Ruth?
(a) Whether her mom will visit.
(b) How her father's business is doing.
(c) What her future goals are.
(d) If she has a boyfriend.
9. Why is Kitty being threatened with eviction?
(a) Because she has loud fights that wake up the neighbors.
(b) Because she has not paid rent for almost a year.
(c) Because of her drunkenness.
(d) Because of her noisy dog.
10. What does Ruth write to Mary about in Chapter 2?
(b) How she hates being home.
(c) How she wishes she were wealthy so she could travel the world.
(d) The relief she feels at being home.
11. What does Simon search for at Potter Beach when he is 73?
(a) The ring of his deceased wife.
(b) His old tennis shoes.
(c) The tusks of a circus elephant.
(d) A rare type of shell.
12. Where does Mary live?
(a) Rochester, New Hampshire.
(b) Concord, New Hampshire.
(c) Brookfield, New Hampshire.
(d) Laconia, New Hampshire.
13. What does Stan not care about when it comes to Ruth?
(a) Who she spends her time with.
(b) What education she receives.
(c) Who she marries.
(d) What she does for fun.
14. Who is Angus responsible for looking after?
(a) His brother and cookie.
(b) No one.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His senile mother.
15. Who is the wife of Robin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon bring the Pommeroys in Chapter 1?
2. Where do most of the island children attend high school?
3. What is Mary doing when she meets Stan Thomas?
4. When do the men on the islands go to war?
5. Who does not contribute to the distinctive population?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)