|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Ruth to cry at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) She is sad over the recent death.
(b) Her father yells at her.
(c) A tasteless joke.
(d) She falls and scrapes her leg.
2. How are the men on the islands described?
(a) As artsy and creative.
(b) As hard working and stubborn.
(c) As lazy and stupid.
(d) As being fiercely competitive.
3. What does Simon bring the Pommeroys in Chapter 1?
(a) A casserole.
(b) A book and some rum.
(c) A new radio.
(d) Some wine and cheese.
4. What does Senator Simon Adams deliver in Chapter 1?
(a) Some old clothes and rags.
(b) A pie baked by his mother.
(c) Healing chicken stock.
(d) A ticket to California.
5. Who is Ruth?
(a) Ebbett's granddaughter.
(b) Ebbett's daughter.
(c) Ebbett's niece.
(d) Ebbett's great-niece.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ruth stay with when her parents go away for a short time in Chapter 1?
2. What is Ruth's first word?
3. Who is Mary?
4. Who is described as being an aggressive lobsterman?
5. What do the women in the neighborhood doubt about Mary in Chapter 1?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)