|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucy is drinking alcohol, what does she drink?
2. On her way to have her hair done, what does Lucy ask Ibrahim to tell the mali?
3. As Lucy is leaving the churchyard, what message does Mr. Bhoolabhoy want her to give to Tusker?
4. How old was Tusker when he retired?
5. After Lucy and Ibrahim plan the dinner for Father Sebastian, and Lucy appears a little drunk, what does Ibrahim do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the financial situation for Lucy after Tusker dies? Why is she explaining this to Mr. Turner?
2. Who was Toole? Why does Lucy constantly compare other men to him? Why is he important?
3. Lucy regrets inviting Susy to dinner with Father Sebastian. Why?
4. What noise does Mr. Bhoolabhoy hear when he imagines the church yard is being bulldozed? What does it turn out to be?
5. How does Lucy respond to Tusker when she returns home and wants to get Chicken Paulo for lunch?
6. Why is Lucy concerned about whether Joseph speaks English? What does she try to teach Joseph about the gravestones?
7. How does Lucy describe the valley to the imaginary Mr. Turner? What does she say about the first time she saw the valley?
8. Describe the rituals associated with the holiday of Holi. What is it? Why is it celebrated?
9. After Tusker dies, who offers Lucy a home? Why is this important? What does this say about Lucy's customs all along?
10. In Chapter 15, Ibrahim finally tells the reader what he thinks about Tusker. How does he feel about his employer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lucy talks to Mr. Turner in her imagination, what is the author saying? Is something wrong with Lucy? If so, what? If not, what?
Essay Topic 2
What are the tensions between the Hindu and the Muslims as described in the novel? Can you identify some of the costumes of each religion? Can you describe scenes of violence because of the tensions?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important that Tusker never got approval to marry Lucy? How did this affect his career?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)