|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucy riding in as she leaves the churchyard?
2. When Susy needs to tell Lucy that Tusker has died, what does she bring her?
3. What year did Tusker retire?
4. What was Lucy's hobby when she met Tusker?
5. As Lucy is leaving the churchyard, what message does Mr. Bhoolabhoy want her to give to Tusker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucy respond to Tusker when she returns home and wants to get Chicken Paulo for lunch?
2. What did Tusker do at the time of the "debacle?"
3. How did Lucy like living in Mudpore? What about the time and the city interested her?
4. What is the financial situation for Lucy after Tusker dies? Why is she explaining this to Mr. Turner?
5. Tusker is found dead with the letter in his hand. What role does Dr. Mitra play in how the letter is handled?
6. Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy not want Lucy to speak to Mrs. Bhoolabhoy if they run into each other at the club? What is he hiding?
7. Describe the rituals associated with the holiday of Holi. What is it? Why is it celebrated?
8. Describe Tusker's behavior after he talked on the phone with Mr. Turner.
9. Lucy regrets inviting Susy to dinner with Father Sebastian. Why?
10. Who was Toole? Why does Lucy constantly compare other men to him? Why is he important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy describes her life as sad. This is a special moment when she comes to this realization. For just a moment, she stops pretending. What about Lucy's life is sad? Why is she, in this moment, honest with herself? Why does she break from her own convention of upholding her facade? Why does the letter from Sarah bring out this reaction in Lucy?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Ibrahim never being able to see the end of the movies?
Essay Topic 3
What changed for the English after 1947? Who stayed on at that point and why did they stay?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)