|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the noise that Mr. Bhoolabhoy hears while praying?
2. What provides the music at the church on the morning that Susy and Father Sebastian bring the flowers?
3. On her way to have her hair done, what does Lucy ask Ibrahim to tell the mali?
4. What is the holiday celebrated in India just before Easter?
5. How old was Tusker when he retired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tusker's reaction to the new Father Sebastian? Why do you think he is reacting in this manner? Why does this make Lucy feel uncomfortable?
2. Why is Lucy concerned about whether Joseph speaks English? What does she try to teach Joseph about the gravestones?
3. After Tusker dies, Lucy must figure out what to do when Mr. Turner comes for his visit. What is her decision and what does this tell us about Lucy?
4. How did Lucy like living in Mudpore? What about the time and the city interested her?
5. Tusker is found dead with the letter in his hand. What role does Dr. Mitra play in how the letter is handled?
6. As Lucy and Ibrahim stand in the kitchen and plan Father Sebastian's meal, Lucy pours Ibrahim a gin. What does this signify? Does the action seen too familiar or does it seem to fit the relationship between the two?
7. After Tusker dies, who offers Lucy a home? Why is this important? What does this say about Lucy's customs all along?
8. How does Lucy respond to Tusker when she returns home and wants to get Chicken Paulo for lunch?
9. Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy not want Lucy to speak to Mrs. Bhoolabhoy if they run into each other at the club? What is he hiding?
10. Describe Tusker's behavior after he talked on the phone with Mr. Turner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why can Lucy no longer trust Tusker? What happened in their past that leaves Lucy feeling alone?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tusker's death determine Lucy's future in India?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lucy see herself as a tourist attraction? What does she imagine that she and Tusker should be doing when visitors come to add to the expectation? What is so different about Lucy and Tusker that people would travel to meet them?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)