|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is included in the Farwell 1947 picture?
2. What religion does Ibrahim practice?
3. Ibrahim recalls another time when Tusker fell ill. Where was Tusker when this happened?
4. What happens to Bloxsaw after his walk?
5. With whom did Mr. Bhoolabhoy have an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tusker is found dead with the letter in his hand. What role does Dr. Mitra play in how the letter is handled?
2. Why is Mr. Bhoolabhoy upset with his wife on the morning of April 23rd? What do her actions imply?
3. Why does Lucy think that she cannot trust Tusker anymore? Is it clear to the reader what happened?
4. Why do Mr. Bhoolabhoy and Tusker get along? Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like Tusker? What does Tusker talk about that fascinates him so?
5. What did Ibrahim do to care for Tusker through the night the first time Tusker fell ill?
6. Why does Ibrahim not like the doctor? Name at least 3 reasons
7. In Chapter 15, Ibrahim finally tells the reader what he thinks about Tusker. How does he feel about his employer?
8. In Chapter 7 Lucy gives the reader a first glimpse of her feelings about Tusker's friendships with Indians. How does she feel? What are her racial views? How does she present herself to the Indians?
9. What did Tusker do at the time of the "debacle?"
10. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
Essay Topic 1
What role does Minnie play? What is her most important contribution to the story? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the servant's role during the time of the raj and 1972. What has changed?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Lucy describes her life as sad? What is her history? What is her present?
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)