|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Thomas do for a living?
2. What are the Smalleys the last survivors of?
3. Ibrahim urges Joseph to take a break and join him. What do they drink?
4. What does Mrs. Bhoolabhoy do every Monday?
5. Why did Mrs. Bhoolabhoy fire the old mali?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
2. In Chapter 7 Lucy gives the reader a first glimpse of her feelings about Tusker's friendships with Indians. How does she feel? What are her racial views? How does she present herself to the Indians?
3. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
4. What does Ibrahim mean when he talks about going to England for the experience? What point is he trying to get across to Joseph?
5. What does Joseph do with the lawn mower? Why is this important? Who is he crossing?
6. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
7. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
8. Why is it important to the story that the Smalleys have no lease in effect?
9. What did Ibrahim do to care for Tusker through the night the first time Tusker fell ill?
10. How did Tusker mark Lucy in India as a woman who had to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lucy angry after reading Sarah Layton's letter? Why is anger the emotion that comes to the surface?
Essay Topic 2
How did Tusker and Lucy end up being the last English residents in India? What was Tusker's plan?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of Ibrahim never being able to see the end of the movies?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)