Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy remember about her twin brother being mean to her?
2. Where do the Smalleys usually eat?
3. What rank was Tusker in the armed forces?
4. Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like to drink with Tusker? What does Tusker know?
5. Who does Pastor Steven bring with him one Sunday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tusker mark Lucy in India as a woman who had to work?
2. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
3. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
4. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
5. What makes Mr. Bhoolabhoy feel left out at the church? Is he right to have these feelings? Why or why not?
6. What does Lucy think when Mr. Bhoolabhoy stalls her from leaving the church?
7. Tusker is found dead with the letter in his hand. What role does Dr. Mitra play in how the letter is handled?
8. Lucy regrets inviting Susy to dinner with Father Sebastian. Why?
9. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
10. What noise does Mr. Bhoolabhoy hear when he imagines the church yard is being bulldozed? What does it turn out to be?
Essay Topic 1
How does Ibrahim describe the family that his father worked for? What happened when they returned to England in 1947? What happened when his father asked about employment for his son? Why do you think this was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy describes her life as sad. This is a special moment when she comes to this realization. For just a moment, she stops pretending. What about Lucy's life is sad? Why is she, in this moment, honest with herself? Why does she break from her own convention of upholding her facade? Why does the letter from Sarah bring out this reaction in Lucy?
Essay Topic 3
What are the tensions between the Hindu and the Muslims as described in the novel? Can you identify some of the costumes of each religion? Can you describe scenes of violence because of the tensions?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)