|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Guy Perron?
2. What does Lucy want Ibrahim to do for her that will calm Tusker?
3. What tragic event did Sarah see just before the Farwell 1947 picture was taken?
4. What happens to Bloxsaw after his walk?
5. How long does Ibrahim tell Joseph that the Smalleys have been in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
2. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
3. What does Joseph do with the lawn mower? Why is this important? Who is he crossing?
4. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
5. What is the future of the Lodge? Who is making decisions for the future of the Lodge? How are they to profit?
6. Why is Tusker called Tusker? How did he get the nickname? There are two stories.
7. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
8. Describe the character of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy. How does she behave and how do the people around her react to her behavior?
9. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
10. What are the issues for Lucy and Ibrahim in hiring a new mali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lucy talks to Mr. Turner in her imagination, what is the author saying? Is something wrong with Lucy? If so, what? If not, what?
Essay Topic 2
How did Tusker and Lucy end up being the last English residents in India? What was Tusker's plan?
Essay Topic 3
What changed for the English after 1947? Who stayed on at that point and why did they stay?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)