|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tusker write notes?
2. Ibrahim recalls another time when Tusker fell ill. Where was Tusker when this happened?
3. Who sits behind the curtain to eat?
4. How did Ibrahim get into the movies when he was young?
5. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the future of the Lodge? Who is making decisions for the future of the Lodge? How are they to profit?
2. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
3. Why do you think Joseph left Rampur and the sisters?
4. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
5. What makes Mr. Bhoolabhoy feel left out at the church? Is he right to have these feelings? Why or why not?
6. Why is Tusker called Tusker? How did he get the nickname? There are two stories.
7. After Tusker dies, who offers Lucy a home? Why is this important? What does this say about Lucy's customs all along?
8. Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy not want Lucy to speak to Mrs. Bhoolabhoy if they run into each other at the club? What is he hiding?
9. What is Tusker's reaction to the new Father Sebastian? Why do you think he is reacting in this manner? Why does this make Lucy feel uncomfortable?
10. Lucy regrets inviting Susy to dinner with Father Sebastian. Why?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lucy angry after reading Sarah Layton's letter? Why is anger the emotion that comes to the surface?
Essay Topic 2
What are the tensions between the Hindu and the Muslims as described in the novel? Can you identify some of the costumes of each religion? Can you describe scenes of violence because of the tensions?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important that Tusker never got approval to marry Lucy? How did this affect his career?
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)