|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ibraham the morning the letter is delivered?
2. Who sits behind the curtain to eat?
3. What does Ibrahim clean in Lucy's room for her?
4. Why was Lucy in demand at all the women's groups?
5. When Mr. Pandey, the lawyer's clerk, comes out of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy's room, what is she wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
2. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
3. Why is it important to the story that the Smalleys have no lease in effect?
4. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
5. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
6. Describe Mr. Bhoolabhoy's vision of the future for his hotel. How does the news about the Nansera Valley Development affect his views?
7. How does the reader know that Tusker was reading the letter when he died?
8. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
9. How does Joseph react when Ibrahim shows him the tool shed? Why? Why is this scene significant to the story?
10. What does Ibrahim dress in when Col. and Mrs. Smalley are guests at the Pankot Rifles Mess? What is this a symbol of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important that Tusker never got approval to marry Lucy? How did this affect his career?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tusker's death determine Lucy's future in India?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ibrahim clean Lucy's jewelry and her shoes? How does this scene affect you and make you feel about these characters? Is this a professional or personal statement?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)