|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tusker doing at the time of his death?
2. Who is Lucy's favorite singer?
3. What religion does Ibrahim practice?
4. Who did Lucy call to help her the first time Tusker fell ill?
5. Who is the letter delivered to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
2. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
3. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
4. Why do Mr. Bhoolabhoy and Tusker get along? Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like Tusker? What does Tusker talk about that fascinates him so?
5. Why does Ibrahim not like the doctor? Name at least 3 reasons
6. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
7. Why do you think Joseph left Rampur and the sisters?
8. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
9. Where is the Shiraz in relation to the Lodges and what effect does their location have on the Lodges?
10. How does the reader know that Tusker was reading the letter when he died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Lucy refers to the "debacle", but the information about this event is released slowly throughout the novel. What is the significance of this event and why has it affected Lucy in the way that it has? How did this change Lucy and Tusker's life? Do you think that the events happening in the present time are more or less important for Lucy and Tusker than the time of the debacle? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tusker's death determine Lucy's future in India?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Minnie play? What is her most important contribution to the story? Why do you think so?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)