|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Joseph do for the church?
2. What city did Tusker get in trouble with the police?
3. Who is Lucy's favorite singer?
4. When Lucy thanks Ibrahim for cleaning the items in her room, what does she ask him to do with her?
5. When Tusker dies, where is Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the issues for Lucy and Ibrahim in hiring a new mali?
2. How does Joseph react when Ibrahim shows him the tool shed? Why? Why is this scene significant to the story?
3. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
4. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
5. What does Joseph do with the lawn mower? Why is this important? Who is he crossing?
6. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
7. Why does Lucy think that she cannot trust Tusker anymore? Is it clear to the reader what happened?
8. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
9. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
10. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lucy talks to Mr. Turner in her imagination, what is the author saying? Is something wrong with Lucy? If so, what? If not, what?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Lucy angry after reading Sarah Layton's letter? Why is anger the emotion that comes to the surface?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Lucy describes her life as sad? What is her history? What is her present?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)