|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What regiment did Tusker belong to?
2. What tragic event did Sarah see just before the Farwell 1947 picture was taken?
3. What movie does Lucy go to see the evening Tusker and Mr. Bhoolabhoy are visiting?
4. Who is Mrs. Guy Perron?
5. Where did Mr. Bhoolabhoy find Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
2. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
3. How does Joseph react when Ibrahim shows him the tool shed? Why? Why is this scene significant to the story?
4. Why do Mr. Bhoolabhoy and Tusker get along? Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like Tusker? What does Tusker talk about that fascinates him so?
5. Why is it important to the story that the Smalleys have no lease in effect?
6. Describe the character of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy. How does she behave and how do the people around her react to her behavior?
7. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
8. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
9. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
10. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tusker's death determine Lucy's future in India?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Ibrahim never being able to see the end of the movies?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lucy see herself as a tourist attraction? What does she imagine that she and Tusker should be doing when visitors come to add to the expectation? What is so different about Lucy and Tusker that people would travel to meet them?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)