|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph do with the lawn mower?
2. Who sits behind the curtain to eat?
3. What do Tusker and Mr. Bhoolabhoy do together?
4. How did Ibrahim get into the movies when he was young?
5. Where does Tusker wish to be buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the Shiraz in relation to the Lodges and what effect does their location have on the Lodges?
2. Why is Tusker called Tusker? How did he get the nickname? There are two stories.
3. Why does it make Lucy sad when she listens to the old gramophone? Where are her feelings coming from?
4. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
5. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
6. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
7. Why is it important to the story that the Smalleys have no lease in effect?
8. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
9. Why do you think Joseph left Rampur and the sisters?
10. How does Joseph react when Ibrahim shows him the tool shed? Why? Why is this scene significant to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Tusker and Lucy end up being the last English residents in India? What was Tusker's plan?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy's description of the raising of the flag of India is very emotional. Why did Lucy and Tusker feel emotional at this site? Were they aware that their lives were going to change as much as they did? They had not connected in years, but did in this moment. Why? What did they have in common?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ibrahim describe the family that his father worked for? What happened when they returned to England in 1947? What happened when his father asked about employment for his son? Why do you think this was the outcome?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)