|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tusker reads the paperwork on his bungalow, what does he discover about his lease?
2. Where did Tusker and Lucy live until 1949?
3. What event do Tusker and Lucy host every spring and fall?
4. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy?
5. Why did Lucy's mother never like her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Bhoolabhoy's vision of the future for his hotel. How does the news about the Nansera Valley Development affect his views?
2. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
3. Why does it make Lucy sad when she listens to the old gramophone? Where are her feelings coming from?
4. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
5. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
6. What does Ibrahim mean when he talks about going to England for the experience? What point is he trying to get across to Joseph?
7. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
8. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
9. Where is the Shiraz in relation to the Lodges and what effect does their location have on the Lodges?
10. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the servant's role during the time of the raj and 1972. What has changed?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy's description of the raising of the flag of India is very emotional. Why did Lucy and Tusker feel emotional at this site? Were they aware that their lives were going to change as much as they did? They had not connected in years, but did in this moment. Why? What did they have in common?
Essay Topic 3
Lucy describes her life as sad. This is a special moment when she comes to this realization. For just a moment, she stops pretending. What about Lucy's life is sad? Why is she, in this moment, honest with herself? Why does she break from her own convention of upholding her facade? Why does the letter from Sarah bring out this reaction in Lucy?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)