|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ibrahim get into the movies when he was young?
2. What event do Tusker and Lucy host every spring and fall?
3. Who is Lucy's favorite singer?
4. Who does Pastor Steven bring with him one Sunday morning?
5. Who does Lucy have imaginary conversations with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
2. Why do Mr. Bhoolabhoy and Tusker get along? Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like Tusker? What does Tusker talk about that fascinates him so?
3. Why does Ibrahim not like the doctor? Name at least 3 reasons
4. Why does it make Lucy sad when she listens to the old gramophone? Where are her feelings coming from?
5. What are the issues for Lucy and Ibrahim in hiring a new mali?
6. How does the reader know that Tusker was reading the letter when he died?
7. What does Ibrahim dress in when Col. and Mrs. Smalley are guests at the Pankot Rifles Mess? What is this a symbol of?
8. Why is Tusker called Tusker? How did he get the nickname? There are two stories.
9. Where is the Shiraz in relation to the Lodges and what effect does their location have on the Lodges?
10. What is the future of the Lodge? Who is making decisions for the future of the Lodge? How are they to profit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Lucy describes her life as sad? What is her history? What is her present?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy's description of the raising of the flag of India is very emotional. Why did Lucy and Tusker feel emotional at this site? Were they aware that their lives were going to change as much as they did? They had not connected in years, but did in this moment. Why? What did they have in common?
Essay Topic 3
The reader wonders from the beginning of the novel about Tusker's name. How did Tusker get his name? Describe the two different possible stories. Which story describes Tusker's character more fully? Which story tells us something that we would have never guessed about Tusker?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)