|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucy have imaginary conversations with?
2. What is Tusker doing at the time of his death?
3. When Tusker dies, where is Lucy?
4. How did Ibrahim get into the movies when he was young?
5. What happens to Ibraham the morning the letter is delivered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
2. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
3. Describe Mr. Bhoolabhoy's vision of the future for his hotel. How does the news about the Nansera Valley Development affect his views?
4. Why does Lucy think that she cannot trust Tusker anymore? Is it clear to the reader what happened?
5. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
6. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
7. Why is it important to the story that the Smalleys have no lease in effect?
8. What does Joseph do with the lawn mower? Why is this important? Who is he crossing?
9. How did Tusker mark Lucy in India as a woman who had to work?
10. In Chapter 7 Lucy gives the reader a first glimpse of her feelings about Tusker's friendships with Indians. How does she feel? What are her racial views? How does she present herself to the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why can Lucy no longer trust Tusker? What happened in their past that leaves Lucy feeling alone?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ibrahim describe the family that his father worked for? What happened when they returned to England in 1947? What happened when his father asked about employment for his son? Why do you think this was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
When Lucy talks to Mr. Turner in her imagination, what is the author saying? Is something wrong with Lucy? If so, what? If not, what?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)