|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tusker and Mr. Bhoolabhoy do together?
2. What does Ibrahim call Lucy?
3. What is Joseph doing when Ibrahim finds him working with a fork?
4. The morning the letter is delivered, who is missing?
5. Why did Lucy's mother never like her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is Tusker's past concerning drinking and the police?
2. What is the future of the Lodge? Who is making decisions for the future of the Lodge? How are they to profit?
3. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
4. How does Tusker know that he is not hallucinating the mali? What does he decide to do about it?
5. Why does Lucy think that she cannot trust Tusker anymore? Is it clear to the reader what happened?
6. Why do Mr. Bhoolabhoy and Tusker get along? Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like Tusker? What does Tusker talk about that fascinates him so?
7. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
8. Why is it important to the story that the Smalleys have no lease in effect?
9. What does Ibrahim dress in when Col. and Mrs. Smalley are guests at the Pankot Rifles Mess? What is this a symbol of?
10. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Lucy describes her life as sad? What is her history? What is her present?
Essay Topic 2
How did Tusker and Lucy end up being the last English residents in India? What was Tusker's plan?
Essay Topic 3
Descibe the Christian symbols as related to Joseph.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)