|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Thomas do for a living?
2. On the morning that the novel opens, what is Mr. Bhoolabhoy working on for his wife?
3. Who did Mr. Bhoolabhoy call in Rampur to ask about Joseph?
4. Who did Ibrahim's father work for when Ibrahim was a child?
5. What work did Joseph do for the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think is Tusker's past concerning drinking and the police?
2. What did Ibrahim do to care for Tusker through the night the first time Tusker fell ill?
3. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
4. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
5. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
6. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
7. Why does Lucy think that she cannot trust Tusker anymore? Is it clear to the reader what happened?
8. What is the future of the Lodge? Who is making decisions for the future of the Lodge? How are they to profit?
9. Why do you think Joseph left Rampur and the sisters?
10. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Tusker and Lucy end up being the last English residents in India? What was Tusker's plan?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ibrahim clean Lucy's jewelry and her shoes? How does this scene affect you and make you feel about these characters? Is this a professional or personal statement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the servant's role during the time of the raj and 1972. What has changed?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)