|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who needs to approve the letter written to Tusker?
2. Since 1947, personal servants are considered what?
3. What movie does Lucy go to see the evening Tusker and Mr. Bhoolabhoy are visiting?
4. What city did Tusker get in trouble with the police?
5. Who's child is Teddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
2. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
3. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
4. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
5. Why do Mr. Bhoolabhoy and Tusker get along? Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like Tusker? What does Tusker talk about that fascinates him so?
6. What are the issues for Lucy and Ibrahim in hiring a new mali?
7. How does Tusker know that he is not hallucinating the mali? What does he decide to do about it?
8. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
9. What do you think is Tusker's past concerning drinking and the police?
10. Why do you think Joseph left Rampur and the sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Lucy refers to the "debacle", but the information about this event is released slowly throughout the novel. What is the significance of this event and why has it affected Lucy in the way that it has? How did this change Lucy and Tusker's life? Do you think that the events happening in the present time are more or less important for Lucy and Tusker than the time of the debacle? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tusker's death determine Lucy's future in India?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Lucy describes her life as sad? What is her history? What is her present?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)