|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tusker treat the new mali?
2. Who's child is Teddy?
3. Who is David Turner?
4. Why does Susy initially say she will not work for Father Sebastian?
5. Who is married to Mr. Perron?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it make Lucy sad when she listens to the old gramophone? Where are her feelings coming from?
2. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
3. Describe Mr. Bhoolabhoy's vision of the future for his hotel. How does the news about the Nansera Valley Development affect his views?
4. How does Tusker know that he is not hallucinating the mali? What does he decide to do about it?
5. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
6. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
7. What did Ibrahim do to care for Tusker through the night the first time Tusker fell ill?
8. How does the reader know that Tusker was reading the letter when he died?
9. Describe the character of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy. How does she behave and how do the people around her react to her behavior?
10. What does Ibrahim mean when he talks about going to England for the experience? What point is he trying to get across to Joseph?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lucy angry after reading Sarah Layton's letter? Why is anger the emotion that comes to the surface?
Essay Topic 2
Lucy's description of the raising of the flag of India is very emotional. Why did Lucy and Tusker feel emotional at this site? Were they aware that their lives were going to change as much as they did? They had not connected in years, but did in this moment. Why? What did they have in common?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Lucy describes her life as sad? What is her history? What is her present?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)