|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibrahim explain to Joseph about the job?
2. Who is Lucy dancing with at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What does Lucy want Ibrahim to do for her that will calm Tusker?
4. What does Ibrahim call Tusker?
5. Who does Lucy have imaginary conversations with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
2. What does Ibrahim mean when he talks about going to England for the experience? What point is he trying to get across to Joseph?
3. Why does it make Lucy sad when she listens to the old gramophone? Where are her feelings coming from?
4. What is the future of the Lodge? Who is making decisions for the future of the Lodge? How are they to profit?
5. How does Tusker know that he is not hallucinating the mali? What does he decide to do about it?
6. What does Ibrahim dress in when Col. and Mrs. Smalley are guests at the Pankot Rifles Mess? What is this a symbol of?
7. Why does Lucy think that she cannot trust Tusker anymore? Is it clear to the reader what happened?
8. Describe the character of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy. How does she behave and how do the people around her react to her behavior?
9. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
10. How did Tusker mark Lucy in India as a woman who had to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucy's description of the raising of the flag of India is very emotional. Why did Lucy and Tusker feel emotional at this site? Were they aware that their lives were going to change as much as they did? They had not connected in years, but did in this moment. Why? What did they have in common?
Essay Topic 2
The reader wonders from the beginning of the novel about Tusker's name. How did Tusker get his name? Describe the two different possible stories. Which story describes Tusker's character more fully? Which story tells us something that we would have never guessed about Tusker?
Essay Topic 3
Why can Lucy no longer trust Tusker? What happened in their past that leaves Lucy feeling alone?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)