|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph like to do for work?
2. What religion does Ibrahim practice?
3. How did Ibrahim get into the movies when he was young?
4. Who went into labor at Rose Cottage?
5. What movie does Lucy go to see the evening Tusker and Mr. Bhoolabhoy are visiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tusker called Tusker? How did he get the nickname? There are two stories.
2. What do you think is Tusker's past concerning drinking and the police?
3. What does Ibrahim mean when he talks about going to England for the experience? What point is he trying to get across to Joseph?
4. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
5. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
6. What does Ibrahim dress in when Col. and Mrs. Smalley are guests at the Pankot Rifles Mess? What is this a symbol of?
7. Why is it important to the story that the Smalleys have no lease in effect?
8. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
9. How did Lucy like living in Mudpore? What about the time and the city interested her?
10. Why is Lucy concerned about whether Joseph speaks English? What does she try to teach Joseph about the gravestones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Ibrahim clean Lucy's jewelry and her shoes? How does this scene affect you and make you feel about these characters? Is this a professional or personal statement?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lucy see herself as a tourist attraction? What does she imagine that she and Tusker should be doing when visitors come to add to the expectation? What is so different about Lucy and Tusker that people would travel to meet them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the servant's role during the time of the raj and 1972. What has changed?
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)