|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tusker pleased when he sees Lucy talk to the new mali?
2. When Mr. Bhoolabhoy's wife tells him about her deal, what is his main concern?
3. Who is David Turner?
4. Why did Mrs. Bhoolabhoy fire the old mali?
5. What rank was Tusker in the armed forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Tusker was reading the letter when he died?
2. In Chapter 7 Lucy gives the reader a first glimpse of her feelings about Tusker's friendships with Indians. How does she feel? What are her racial views? How does she present herself to the Indians?
3. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
4. How often is Ibrahim fired and why?
5. What did Ibrahim do to care for Tusker through the night the first time Tusker fell ill?
6. How does Tusker know that he is not hallucinating the mali? What does he decide to do about it?
7. Why is Tusker called Tusker? How did he get the nickname? There are two stories.
8. Describe Mr. Bhoolabhoy's vision of the future for his hotel. How does the news about the Nansera Valley Development affect his views?
9. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
10. What is the future of the Lodge? Who is making decisions for the future of the Lodge? How are they to profit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Tusker and Lucy end up being the last English residents in India? What was Tusker's plan?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the servant's role during the time of the raj and 1972. What has changed?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel Lucy refers to the "debacle", but the information about this event is released slowly throughout the novel. What is the significance of this event and why has it affected Lucy in the way that it has? How did this change Lucy and Tusker's life? Do you think that the events happening in the present time are more or less important for Lucy and Tusker than the time of the debacle? Why?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)