|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Thomas do for a living?
2. When Ibrahim takes Bloxsaw to the coffee shop, who does he see there?
3. Who went into labor at Rose Cottage?
4. The morning the letter is delivered, who is missing?
5. Who needs to approve the letter written to Tusker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Bhoolabhoy's vision of the future for his hotel. How does the news about the Nansera Valley Development affect his views?
2. What are the issues for Lucy and Ibrahim in hiring a new mali?
3. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
4. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
5. Why does it make Lucy sad when she listens to the old gramophone? Where are her feelings coming from?
6. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
7. Why does Tusker cry in the bathroom?
8. What does Joseph do with the lawn mower? Why is this important? Who is he crossing?
9. Describe the character of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy. How does she behave and how do the people around her react to her behavior?
10. What did Ibrahim do to care for Tusker through the night the first time Tusker fell ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Descibe the Christian symbols as related to Joseph.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Minnie play? What is her most important contribution to the story? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
When Lucy talks to Mr. Turner in her imagination, what is the author saying? Is something wrong with Lucy? If so, what? If not, what?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)