|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Tusker retire?
2. What does Mrs. Bhoolabhoy do in front of the servants during an argument with her husband?
(a) Calls him a coward.
(b) Yells at him.
(c) Pushes him.
(d) Fires him.
3. What does Tusker to at the holiday party with the children?
(a) He plays with them and throws colored powder on them.
(b) He plays hide and seek with them.
(c) He reads the Holi story to them.
(d) He sings with them.
4. What was Lucy's hobby when she met Tusker?
(a) She knitted.
(b) She acted in an amateur theater group.
(c) She did shorthand for a club.
(d) She went to the movies alone.
5. Who is having a holiday party just before Easter?
(a) Father Sebastian and Susy.
(b) The Bhoolabhoys.
(c) The Smalleys.
(d) The Menektaras.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lucy almost lost her job because she was caring for her mother, what did her father do to help her?
2. After Tusker dies, where does Lucy want to go?
3. Tusker gives a complete accounting of all the money in his letter, but what else does he say that touches Lucy?
4. How do Lucy and Tusker get home after church on Easter?
5. After Tusker dies, what fond memory does Lucy recall about her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tusker's behavior after he talked on the phone with Mr. Turner.
2. In Chapter 15, Ibrahim finally tells the reader what he thinks about Tusker. How does he feel about his employer?
3. What does Tusker do at the Holi party? What is Lucy's reaction to his behavior?
4. What mood is Tusker in on his birthday? How long does his mood last?
5. As Lucy and Ibrahim discuss Father Sebastian's meal, Lucy at one point reminds Ibrahim who is in charge of the mali. What is happening here?
6. Tusker is found dead with the letter in his hand. What role does Dr. Mitra play in how the letter is handled?
7. Who was Toole? Why does Lucy constantly compare other men to him? Why is he important?
8. Who was Lucy's friend who did not like Tusker? What does she symbolize in the story?
9. Why is Lucy concerned about whether Joseph speaks English? What does she try to teach Joseph about the gravestones?
10. What is in the letter that Tusker wrote to Lucy that makes her think it is a love letter?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)