|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the morning of Lucy and Tusker's dinner with Father Sebastian, what is Ibrahim supposed to do?
(a) Cook the food.
(b) Take Lucy to get her hair done.
(c) Pluck the chicken.
(d) Shop for food.
2. What kind of mood is Tusker in on his birthday?
(b) A bad mood.
(c) A good mood.
(d) He fired Ibrahim.
3. After Tusker's death, when Lucy wakes in the middle of the night, who is still there looking after her?
(b) Ibrahim, Minnie and Joseph.
(c) Dr. Mitra.
(d) Father Sebastian.
4. How does Mrs. Bhoolabhoy feel about Tusker?
(a) She does not care for him.
(b) She thinks he is too proud.
(c) She thinks he is too skinny.
(d) She is not responsible for his health.
5. What does Tusker do at the holiday party that embarrasses his wife?
(a) He slides down a hill.
(b) He falls down a flight of stairs.
(c) He falls on another woman at the party.
(d) He falls, is pushed over a table and breaks a glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tusker to at the holiday party with the children?
2. Who pays the mali?
3. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy tell Lucy to do if she runs into his wife?
4. After Tusker dies, where does Lucy want to go?
5. Why is Tusker impressed by the new Father Sebastian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lucy like living in Mudpore? What about the time and the city interested her?
2. Who was Toole? Why does Lucy constantly compare other men to him? Why is he important?
3. How does Lucy respond to Tusker when she returns home and wants to get Chicken Paulo for lunch?
4. After Tusker dies, who offers Lucy a home? Why is this important? What does this say about Lucy's customs all along?
5. Who was Lucy's friend who did not like Tusker? What does she symbolize in the story?
6. Describe Tusker's behavior after he talked on the phone with Mr. Turner.
7. Describe the rituals associated with the holiday of Holi. What is it? Why is it celebrated?
8. What mood is Tusker in on his birthday? How long does his mood last?
9. After Tusker dies, Lucy must figure out what to do when Mr. Turner comes for his visit. What is her decision and what does this tell us about Lucy?
10. Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy not want Lucy to speak to Mrs. Bhoolabhoy if they run into each other at the club? What is he hiding?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)