|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tusker say happened to the actress years later?
(a) She had an affair and her husband divorced her.
(b) She returned to England with her husband.
(c) She had an affair and married a prince.
(d) She and her husband moved to Ranpur.
2. When Mr. Pandey, the lawyer's clerk, comes out of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy's room, what is she wearing?
(a) A negligee.
(b) A large salmon-colored dress.
(c) A silk pantsuit.
(d) A necklace of pearls.
3. What is Tusker doing at the time of his death?
(b) Reading the letter.
(c) Walking over to the Shiraz.
(d) Looking for Bloxsaw.
4. At the opening of Chapter 2, where is Bloxsaw?
(a) In the garden.
(b) Sleeping with Tusker.
(c) In the garage.
(d) Being taken for a walk by Ibrahim.
5. Who is married to Mr. Perron?
(b) Sarah's mother.
(c) Sarah Layton.
(d) Susan Layton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibrahim bring to the doctor to drink that he secretly hopes will make the doctor sick?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 5, who cooks a meal for Ibrahim and Joseph?
3. Ibrahim recalls another time when Tusker fell ill. Where was Tusker when this happened?
4. When Ibrahim takes Bloxsaw to the coffee shop, who does he see there?
5. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
2. What does Ibrahim mean when he talks about going to England for the experience? What point is he trying to get across to Joseph?
3. How does Joseph react when Ibrahim shows him the tool shed? Why? Why is this scene significant to the story?
4. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
5. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
6. What does Ibrahim dress in when Col. and Mrs. Smalley are guests at the Pankot Rifles Mess? What is this a symbol of?
7. How did Tusker mark Lucy in India as a woman who had to work?
8. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
9. How does the reader know that Tusker was reading the letter when he died?
10. Why does Lucy think that she cannot trust Tusker anymore? Is it clear to the reader what happened?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)