|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Tusker and Lucy live until 1949?
(a) Pankot Rifles.
(b) Rose Cottage.
(c) A bungalow.
2. With whom did Mr. Bhoolabhoy have an affair?
(a) Hot Chichanya.
3. What does Ibrahim call Tusker?
(a) Col. Tusker.
(b) Mr. Smalley.
(d) Col. Sahib.
4. What does Lucy remember about Sarah's mother?
(a) She drank and was once a prisoner of war.
(b) She was devoted to her husband.
(c) She made the best chocolate cakes.
(d) She was mean to Sarah and Susan.
5. Why did Lucy's mother never like her?
(a) Because she never loved Lucy's father.
(b) Because she knew shorthand.
(c) Because she was a girl.
(d) Because she lost the twins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy remember about her twin brother being mean to her?
2. How does Tusker treat the new mali?
3. Who does Pastor Steven bring with him one Sunday morning?
4. What happens to Bloxsaw after his walk?
5. Who did Mr. Bhoolabhoy call in Rampur to ask about Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
2. How did Tusker mark Lucy in India as a woman who had to work?
3. Why do you think Joseph left Rampur and the sisters?
4. How do you think it made Ibrahim feel to never see the endings of the movies? What do you think his reaction was years later when he saw the endings in England?
5. Why does Lucy think she will be a widow in less than a year? What does she think about her future? Who does she blame?
6. Describe the character of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy. How does she behave and how do the people around her react to her behavior?
7. Describe the incident on the train. What was the origin of the violence?
8. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy? How does he view her? Do you think Lucy has any idea of how others view her?
9. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
10. Why is Tusker called Tusker? How did he get the nickname? There are two stories.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)