|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Bloxsaw after his walk?
(a) He collapses on the verandah panting.
(b) He slaps new Ibrahim.
(c) He runs through the canna lilies.
(d) He runs wild in the garden.
2. What religion does Joseph practice?
3. Who went into labor at Rose Cottage?
(d) Mrs. Layton.
4. Why is Tusker pleased when he sees Lucy talk to the new mali?
(a) He now knows Lucy is paying the mali.
(b) Lucy has trouble making friends with Indians.
(c) He wants more work done in the garden.
(d) He knows the mali is not a hallucination.
5. With whom did Mr. Bhoolabhoy have an affair?
(d) Hot Chichanya.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy remember about her twin brother being mean to her?
2. Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like to drink with Tusker? What does Tusker know?
3. What is Tusker doing at the time of his death?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 5, who cooks a meal for Ibrahim and Joseph?
5. What happened to the actress' husband who did perform in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mr. Bhoolabhoy and Tusker get along? Why does Mr. Bhoolabhoy like Tusker? What does Tusker talk about that fascinates him so?
2. What does it say about Tusker and Lucy's ability to communicate when neither of them acknowledges the new mali?
3. What do you think is Tusker's past concerning drinking and the police?
4. Describe the character of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy. How does she behave and how do the people around her react to her behavior?
5. Why do you think Minnie is sitting behind a curtain to eat her meal?
6. How does Tusker know that he is not hallucinating the mali? What does he decide to do about it?
7. As the new mali, Joseph, works, everyone acts as if he isn't there. What does each character gain from this behavior?
8. What did Ibrahim do to care for Tusker through the night the first time Tusker fell ill?
9. Where is the Shiraz in relation to the Lodges and what effect does their location have on the Lodges?
10. When Father Sebastian arrives, Susy says that she will not work for a black pastor. What race is Susy and why does she feel this way? is it simply racial prejudice or is there something deeper?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)