|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Smalleys the last survivors of?
(a) Smith's hotel.
(c) Pankot's permanent retired British residents.
(d) India - Pakistan wars.
2. What does Lucy remember about Sarah's mother?
(a) She was mean to Sarah and Susan.
(b) She was devoted to her husband.
(c) She drank and was once a prisoner of war.
(d) She made the best chocolate cakes.
3. How does Tusker treat the new mali?
(a) He yells at him for making noise.
(b) He doesn't look or speak to him.
(c) He treats him like a slave.
(d) He is very friendly.
4. Where did Tusker and Lucy stay during the war?
(a) The church parsonage.
(b) Smith's Hotel.
(c) Rose Cottage.
(d) Pankot Rifles.
5. Why was Ibrahim never allowed to see the ending of movies when he was a child?
(a) He had to be out in front on the theater to great his father's employer.
(b) His father did not want him to see the endings of the movies.
(c) He was afraid to watch the endings of movies.
(d) He never went to the movies as a child.
6. What do Lucy and Tusker drink before they retire for the evening?
(b) Hot cocoa.
(d) Orange Juice.
7. Why is Lucy angry that Tusker told people how they met?
(a) She was embarrassed that she married Tusker.
(b) Because it marked her as a woman who once had to work.
(c) She didn't want people to know her maiden name.
(d) She didn't want people to know her past.
8. What happened in 1947?
(a) The war between the Hindus and the Muslims.
(b) The club was built.
(c) All the English went back home.
(d) England gave back India to govern themselves.
9. The morning the letter is delivered, who is missing?
(a) The mali.
(c) Mrs. Bhoolabhoy.
(d) Mr. Bhoolabhoy.
10. Where does Tusker wish to be buried?
(a) At Pankot Rifles.
(b) At the old church.
(c) In England.
(d) In Ranpur.
11. What did Lucy do when she and Tusker met?
(a) She stayed at home and cared for her mother.
(b) She was a teacher.
(c) She was a secretary.
(d) She was an attorney.
12. What does Mr. Thomas do for a living?
(a) He runs a hairdressing shop in the Bazaar.
(b) He is the new preacher.
(c) He tends the graveyard.
(d) He manages the new Electric Cinema.
13. What does Ibrahim still keep that belonged to his father?
(a) His pocket watch.
(b) His dress shoes.
(c) His long white tunic.
(d) His trimming shears.
14. On the morning that the novel opens, what is Mr. Bhoolabhoy working on for his wife?
(a) A letter to Tusker.
(b) The books.
(c) The garden.
(d) A projects for the church.
15. Where do Lucy and Tusker live?
(a) The church parsonage.
(b) Rosewood Cottage.
(c) In The Lodge, an annex to the Smith's hotel.
(d) The Shiraz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joseph doing when Ibrahim finds him working with a fork?
2. When Mr. Pandey, the lawyer's clerk, comes out of Mrs. Bhoolabhoy's room, what is she wearing?
3. When Tusker becomes ill, how old is he?
4. What does Mr. Bhoolabhoy think of Lucy?
5. When Mr. Bhoolabhoy visits Tusker, Ibrahim hears his telling Tusker about the new hotel in Ranpur. What is the name of the hotel?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)