|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back at school, who watches over the CAT class/study hall since Ms. Lemry is on paid leave?
2. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, who does he find folding towels by the lockers?
3. When Moby opens his eyes in the hospital and is terribly groggy from the pain medication, a shadowy figure is in his doorway. Who is the shadowy figure?
4. When Virgil was verbally abusing Sarah Byrnes in the psych ward of the hospital, what was the name of the therapist who told Virgil that if he didn't get himself under control, he would have to leave?
5. When Mr. Mautz asks Moby to have lunch with him, what does Mr. Mautz first ask Moby about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
2. Moby receives quite a bit of media attention after he is attacked by Virgil Byrnes. When is the last time that Moby can remember getting this much media attention?
3. After hearing what the man waiting for Moby and Ellerby tells them when the two boys are called to the office during their study hall, how does Ellerby respond to the man's words?
4. According to what Jody tells the class, why did Mark insist that Jody abort their child?
5. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
6. Why is Sarah Byrnes trying to find her mother?
7. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
8. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
9. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
10. According to Carver, how did Carver manipulate his way into a relationship with Moby's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dale Thornton and Sarah Byrnes can be seen as kindred spirits - owing to the similarities in their early childhood experiences. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two characters' similarities facilitate the plot's development and move the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character and the determination of Moby to set things right?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)