|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading what Moby gives to her on the porch, what does Ms. Lemry decide to do?
2. What does Moby sneak into Sarah Byrnes' hospital room?
3. What time is it when Moby appears on Lemry's porch and says that he needs to speak to her "off the record"?
4. When Mr. Mautz asks Moby to have lunch with him, what does Mr. Mautz first ask Moby about?
5. When Reverend Ellerby arrives in Mr. Mautz's office, what does Mr. Brittain ask the Reverend to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
2. As the CAT class heads into the last day of their abortion discussion, what piece of advice does Ms. Lemry give to Ellerby?
3. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
4. What did Ms. Lemry say to Sarah Byrnes that changed Sarah Byrnes' mind about Ms. Lemry?
5. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
6. According to what Jody tells the class, why did Mark insist that Jody abort their child?
7. When Moby asks the person he finds folding towels their opinion about Moby's dating Jody Mueller, what response does Moby get?
8. When Ms. Lemry surprises Moby by telling him that she ran after and caught Sarah Byrnes' mother, what does Lemry reveal to Moby about her past?
9. As Moby recovers in his hospital room, why is Moby terribly nervous for Sarah Byrnes?
10. What does the surprise visitor to Moby's hospital room ask Moby to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Mautz seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top - and in his powerful position at the school. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Matuz helped by his utter confidence? How is Mautz hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ellerby's father with Mark Brittain's father.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)