|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Moby tells Mark about his nickname, why does he not get upset when people call him Moby - a slight about being heavy?
2. Which student in the CAT class gets up and walks out after telling Ms. Lemry that Mark had been cruelly treated by everyone in the class?
3. How old was Jody's fetus when she had the abortion at Mark's insistence?
4. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, who does he find folding towels by the lockers?
5. When Sarah Byrnes visits Moby in the hospital, what does she tell Moby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
2. What did Ms. Lemry say to Sarah Byrnes that changed Sarah Byrnes' mind about Ms. Lemry?
3. After Sarah Byrnes bolts from the psych ward, why does Moby return to the psych ward to speak with Laurel?
4. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
5. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
6. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, what does Moby wish for the first time that he had?
7. Why does Sarah Byrnes come back to school even though she knows her father will be looking for her?
8. While Moby recovers in his hospital room, he feels pretty cocky when his mom and the police are around. How does Moby admit he feels when he is alone?
9. Why is Sarah Byrnes trying to find her mother?
10. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Ellerby is greatly affected by the events the death of his brother. Discuss how his brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Ellerby's worldview, but also religious views and his relationships with the people around him. How do Ellerby's experiences affect his mental state, his ability to be objective with his community and his willingness to help Moby and Sarah Byrnes?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Moby's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Moby's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Moby escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to harm Moby. What is the motivation in each of these situations to harm Moby?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Mautz wears different masks in the story. Both a respected school vice-principal and a bully to his students, Mautz is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of Mr. Mautz. How would the entire plot have been affected if Mautz had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Matuz to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)