|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Moby recovers in the hospital from Virgil's attack, whose visit to Moby really surprises Moby?
2. When Moby asks the visitor to his hospital room how his visitor is feeling, what response does Moby get?
3. As Moby tells Sarah Byrnes about Jody's abortion, what does Sarah Byrnes do that Moby has never seen before?
4. When Ms. Lemry decides to take sick leave to help Sarah Byrnes locate her mother, what will the CAT class do while Ms. Lemry is away?
5. Who does Moby call in order to prevent panic when Moby is reported missing from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah Byrnes come back to school even though she knows her father will be looking for her?
2. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
3. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
4. As Moby recovers in his hospital room, why is Moby terribly nervous for Sarah Byrnes?
5. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
6. According to what Jody tells the class, why did Mark insist that Jody abort their child?
7. According to Carver, how did Carver manipulate his way into a relationship with Moby's mother?
8. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
9. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, what does Moby wish for the first time that he had?
10. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Moby is involved with two very different girls. Compare and contrast the relationship Moby has with Sarah Byrnes and the relationship Moby has with Jody Mueller. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Moby, but also the other people that are in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Mark Brittain changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mark's character when he is first introduced at swim practice, when he confronts Ellerby in CAT regarding the abortion issue, when he accuses Jody of lying and when he finally seeks Moby's advice about how to repair the damage he has done. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)