|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Mark tells Moby when he visits him in the hospital, who came to visit Mark?
2. When Virgil Byrnes surprises Moby in Moby's car, what does Virgil hold against Moby?
3. After Steve Ellerby leaves the office with his father, Mr. Mautz asks Moby to stay. Who does Mr. Mautz bring into the office?
4. According to what Mr. Mautz tells Moby during their lunch, what kind of kid does Mr. Mautz consider Mark Brittain to be?
5. According to what Dale remembers Sarah Byrnes saying about her mother, what did her mother always want to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
2. When Ms. Lemry surprises Moby by telling him that she ran after and caught Sarah Byrnes' mother, what does Lemry reveal to Moby about her past?
3. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
4. What did Ms. Lemry say to Sarah Byrnes that changed Sarah Byrnes' mind about Ms. Lemry?
5. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
6. How does Sarah Byrnes' mother respond when Sarah Byrnes asks her mother to come back and testify against Virgil?
7. While Moby recovers in his hospital room, he feels pretty cocky when his mom and the police are around. How does Moby admit he feels when he is alone?
8. After hearing what the man waiting for Moby and Ellerby tells them when the two boys are called to the office during their study hall, how does Ellerby respond to the man's words?
9. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
10. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, religious overtones abound. In fact, these religious differences become a main motivator in moving the plot forward. Identify at least three different religious views that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the characters involved, the religious belief, and how the belief impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these beliefs had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Mautz seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top - and in his powerful position at the school. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Matuz helped by his utter confidence? How is Mautz hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Moby is involved with two very different girls. Compare and contrast the relationship Moby has with Sarah Byrnes and the relationship Moby has with Jody Mueller. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Moby, but also the other people that are in his life?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)