|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Steve Ellerby leaves the office with his father, Mr. Mautz asks Moby to stay. Who does Mr. Mautz bring into the office?
2. When Reverend Ellerby arrives in Mr. Mautz's office, what does Steve tell his father?
3. As Moby tells Sarah Byrnes about Jody's abortion, what does Sarah Byrnes do that Moby has never seen before?
4. After the discussion in the locker room in Chapter 10, Moby returns to his locker. Who does he find waiting for him at his locker?
5. After having lunch with Mr. Mautz, Moby decides to hang around after swim practice is over. When Lemry questions why, what does Moby tell her?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Jody, why did she have the abortion alone?
2. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
3. When Moby asks the person he finds folding towels their opinion about Moby's dating Jody Mueller, what response does Moby get?
4. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
5. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
6. What does the surprise visitor to Moby's hospital room ask Moby to do?
7. When Ms. Lemry surprises Moby by telling him that she ran after and caught Sarah Byrnes' mother, what does Lemry reveal to Moby about her past?
8. While Moby recovers in his hospital room, he feels pretty cocky when his mom and the police are around. How does Moby admit he feels when he is alone?
9. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
10. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dale's character and how he evolves (or not) and what he symbolizes in the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Mark Brittain changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mark's character when he is first introduced at swim practice, when he confronts Ellerby in CAT regarding the abortion issue, when he accuses Jody of lying and when he finally seeks Moby's advice about how to repair the damage he has done. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)