|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Virgil was verbally abusing Sarah Byrnes in the psych ward of the hospital, what was the name of the therapist who told Virgil that if he didn't get himself under control, he would have to leave?
2. According to what Moby tells Ms. Lemry, what does Sarah Byrnes hate more than anything?
3. What position did Ms. Lemry play in her first Little League game that she tells Moby about?
4. When Moby hears how Carver manipulated his way into a relationship with Moby's mother, what cereal does Moby compare Carver to?
5. According to what Reverend Ellerby tells Mr. Mautz in the office, why does Reverend Ellerby believe Mark attempted suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
2. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
3. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
4. As Moby recovers in his hospital room, why is Moby terribly nervous for Sarah Byrnes?
5. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
6. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
7. According to Jody, why did she have the abortion alone?
8. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, what does Moby wish for the first time that he had?
9. According to what Jody tells the class, why did Mark insist that Jody abort their child?
10. When Ms. Lemry surprises Moby by telling him that she ran after and caught Sarah Byrnes' mother, what does Lemry reveal to Moby about her past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main desires of Mr. Byrnes. What does he hope to gain by abusing his daughter and harming Moby? For each desire, tell Mr. Byrnes' reasoning behind the desire and what he ultimately hoped to accomplish through his actions.
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled, "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character and the determination of Moby to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties and agendas of the following people in the story: Dale Thornton, Ms. Lemry, Mr. Mautz, Jody Mueller and Mark Brittain.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)