|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jody's fetus when she had the abortion at Mark's insistence?
2. According to Ms. Lemry, who is responsible for Mark's actions?
3. How does Sarah Byrnes react when Moby tells the driver to head to Ms. Lemry's house?
4. According to what Mr. Mautz tells Moby during their lunch, what kind of kid does Mr. Mautz consider Mark Brittain to be?
5. When Virgil was verbally abusing Sarah Byrnes in the psych ward of the hospital, what was the name of the therapist who told Virgil that if he didn't get himself under control, he would have to leave?
Essay Topic 1
Dale Thornton and Sarah Byrnes can be seen as kindred spirits - owing to the similarities in their early childhood experiences. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two characters' similarities facilitate the plot's development and move the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ellerby's father with Mark Brittain's father.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Mark Brittain changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mark's character when he is first introduced at swim practice, when he confronts Ellerby in CAT regarding the abortion issue, when he accuses Jody of lying and when he finally seeks Moby's advice about how to repair the damage he has done. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)