|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading what Moby gives to her on the porch, what does Ms. Lemry decide to do?
2. Who is coaching the swim team in Ms. Lemry's absence?
3. When Virgil Byrnes surprises Moby in Moby's car, what does Virgil hold against Moby?
4. How long does it take Sarah Byrnes to bolt from the psych ward after the attendants catch her talking?
5. On Sarah Byrnes' first day back at school, who attends the CAT class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Dale's character and how he evolves (or not) and what he symbolizes in the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, religious overtones abound. In fact, these religious differences become a main motivator in moving the plot forward. Identify at least three different religious views that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the characters involved, the religious belief, and how the belief impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these beliefs had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)