|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Moby asks the visitor to his hospital room how his visitor is feeling, what response does Moby get?
2. When Virgil was verbally abusing Sarah Byrnes in the psych ward of the hospital, what was the name of the therapist who told Virgil that if he didn't get himself under control, he would have to leave?
3. How old was Jody's fetus when she had the abortion at Mark's insistence?
4. What kind of car does Virgil Byrnes drive?
5. According to what Dale remembers Sarah Byrnes saying about her mother, where does Dale think Sarah Byrnes' mother might be living?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Jody, why did she have the abortion alone?
2. As the CAT class heads into the last day of their abortion discussion, what piece of advice does Ms. Lemry give to Ellerby?
3. Moby receives quite a bit of media attention after he is attacked by Virgil Byrnes. When is the last time that Moby can remember getting this much media attention?
4. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
5. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
6. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
7. When Ms. Lemry surprises Moby by telling him that she ran after and caught Sarah Byrnes' mother, what does Lemry reveal to Moby about her past?
8. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
9. After Sarah Byrnes bolts from the psych ward, why does Moby return to the psych ward to speak with Laurel?
10. As Brittain begins to lose it in the CAT class on the last day of their abortion discussion, what does Brittain tell Sarah Byrnes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Moby's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Moby's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Moby escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to harm Moby. What is the motivation in each of these situations to harm Moby?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dale's character and how he evolves (or not) and what he symbolizes in the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Parental and authority figures play a crucial role in shaping the young people they are in contact with. Identify at least three parental and/or authority figures in the story. For each character identified, discuss who and how the parental/authority figure affects the story's main characters, as well as the character's overall impact on the story's plot. Finally, determine if the parental/authority figure was a good or bad role model and why. Use examples from the story to support your reasoning.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)