|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After confessing to Sarah Byrnes that he told Ms. Lemry her secret, what does Moby try to convince Sarah Byrnes that she will be some day?
2. When Moby gets home from visiting with Sarah Byrnes, who has left a message for Moby to call him?
3. According to Ms. Lemry, when Mark recovers, what will he need from the students?
4. According to what Mark tells Moby when he visits him in the hospital, who came to visit Mark?
5. When Mr. Mautz begins arguing with Reverend Ellerby about what the Reverend advocates from his pulpit, which topic does Mr. Mautz NOT mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
2. As Brittain begins to lose it in the CAT class on the last day of their abortion discussion, what does Brittain tell Sarah Byrnes?
3. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
4. When Moby and Ellerby are called to the office during their study hall, what does the man waiting for the two boys tell them?
5. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
6. As the CAT class heads into the last day of their abortion discussion, what piece of advice does Ms. Lemry give to Ellerby?
7. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
8. After hearing what the man waiting for Moby and Ellerby tells them when the two boys are called to the office during their study hall, how does Ellerby respond to the man's words?
9. According to Jody, why did she have the abortion alone?
10. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parental and authority figures play a crucial role in shaping the young people they are in contact with. Identify at least three parental and/or authority figures in the story. For each character identified, discuss who and how the parental/authority figure affects the story's main characters, as well as the character's overall impact on the story's plot. Finally, determine if the parental/authority figure was a good or bad role model and why. Use examples from the story to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Moby's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Moby's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Moby escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to harm Moby. What is the motivation in each of these situations to harm Moby?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Moby is involved with two very different girls. Compare and contrast the relationship Moby has with Sarah Byrnes and the relationship Moby has with Jody Mueller. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Moby, but also the other people that are in his life?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)