|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What run-ins with the law does Virgil Byrnes have on his record?
2. What is Mr. Mautz in charge of at the school?
3. When Ms. Lemry decides to take sick leave to help Sarah Byrnes locate her mother, what will the CAT class do while Ms. Lemry is away?
4. What GPA does Sarah Byrnes have?
5. Who eventually finds Virgil Byrnes, beats Virgil up and is arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the biggest danger if Sarah Byrnes testifies unsuccessfully against her father?
2. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
3. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
4. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
5. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
6. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
7. According to Jody, why did she have the abortion alone?
8. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
9. As the CAT class heads into the last day of their abortion discussion, what piece of advice does Ms. Lemry give to Ellerby?
10. How does Sarah Byrnes' mother respond when Sarah Byrnes asks her mother to come back and testify against Virgil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Sarah Byrnes changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of her character when she is first introduced in the story, when she is caught faking her mental health break, when she searches for her mother, and when she is adopted at the end of the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel involves bullying.
a. Identify three characters that are bullies. For each character, describe an instance in which the character bullied someone else.
b. Why do these characters bully others?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not tried to bully the other person? Explain your answer.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)