|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Ms. Lemry tries to regain control of her class as Brittain melts down, who stands up and enters the verbal fray?
2. Who does Moby call in order to prevent panic when Moby is reported missing from the hospital?
3. After Sarah Byrnes leaves Moby's hospital room, who does Moby immediately call?
4. What does Sarah Byrnes consider is too mean for even her father to do?
5. According to Ms. Lemry, when Mark recovers, what will he need from the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Sarah Byrnes bolts from the psych ward, why does Moby return to the psych ward to speak with Laurel?
2. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
3. According to what Jody tells the class, why did Mark insist that Jody abort their child?
4. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
5. When Ms. Lemry surprises Moby by telling him that she ran after and caught Sarah Byrnes' mother, what does Lemry reveal to Moby about her past?
6. When Moby and Ellerby are called to the office during their study hall, what does the man waiting for the two boys tell them?
7. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
8. According to Carver, how did Carver manipulate his way into a relationship with Moby's mother?
9. While Moby recovers in his hospital room, he feels pretty cocky when his mom and the police are around. How does Moby admit he feels when he is alone?
10. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Sarah Byrnes changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of her character when she is first introduced in the story, when she is caught faking her mental health break, when she searches for her mother, and when she is adopted at the end of the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Mark Brittain changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mark's character when he is first introduced at swim practice, when he confronts Ellerby in CAT regarding the abortion issue, when he accuses Jody of lying and when he finally seeks Moby's advice about how to repair the damage he has done. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Moby's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Moby's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Moby escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to harm Moby. What is the motivation in each of these situations to harm Moby?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)