|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Mautz begins arguing with Reverend Ellerby about what the Reverend advocates from his pulpit, which topic does Mr. Mautz NOT mention?
2. When Moby opens his eyes in the hospital and is terribly groggy from the pain medication, a shadowy figure is in his doorway. Who is the shadowy figure?
3. When Moby and Ellerby stop by Lemry's house as Ms. Lemry and Sarah Byrnes are preparing to leave for Reno, what does Moby notice about Sarah Byrnes?
4. When Sarah Byrnes visits Moby in the hospital, what does she tell Moby?
5. Back at school, who watches over the CAT class/study hall since Ms. Lemry is on paid leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
2. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
3. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
4. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
5. According to Jody, why did she have the abortion alone?
6. As the CAT class heads into the last day of their abortion discussion, what piece of advice does Ms. Lemry give to Ellerby?
7. While Moby recovers in his hospital room, he feels pretty cocky when his mom and the police are around. How does Moby admit he feels when he is alone?
8. Moby receives quite a bit of media attention after he is attacked by Virgil Byrnes. When is the last time that Moby can remember getting this much media attention?
9. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
10. After Sarah Byrnes bolts from the psych ward, why does Moby return to the psych ward to speak with Laurel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crutcher uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Moby is involved with two very different girls. Compare and contrast the relationship Moby has with Sarah Byrnes and the relationship Moby has with Jody Mueller. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Moby, but also the other people that are in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of the novel, religious overtones abound. In fact, these religious differences become a main motivator in moving the plot forward. Identify at least three different religious views that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the characters involved, the religious belief, and how the belief impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these beliefs had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)