|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Brittain begins to lose it in the CAT class on the last day of their abortion discussion, what does Brittain call Ellerby?
2. When Moby asks the visitor to his hospital room how his visitor is feeling, what response does Moby get?
3. According to what Mark tells Moby when he visits him in the hospital, who came to visit Mark?
4. What does Sarah Byrnes consider is too mean for even her father to do?
5. After Steve Ellerby leaves the office with his father, Mr. Mautz asks Moby to stay. Who does Mr. Mautz bring into the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Moby asks the person he finds folding towels their opinion about Moby's dating Jody Mueller, what response does Moby get?
2. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
3. According to what Jody tells the class, why did Mark insist that Jody abort their child?
4. When Ms. Lemry surprises Moby by telling him that she ran after and caught Sarah Byrnes' mother, what does Lemry reveal to Moby about her past?
5. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
6. When Moby and Ellerby are called to the office during their study hall, what does the man waiting for the two boys tell them?
7. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
8. How is Moby able to gain access to Sarah Byrnes' room while she is at a group therapy session without arousing suspicion from the nurses?
9. As the CAT class heads into the last day of their abortion discussion, what piece of advice does Ms. Lemry give to Ellerby?
10. What did Ms. Lemry say to Sarah Byrnes that changed Sarah Byrnes' mind about Ms. Lemry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dale Thornton and Sarah Byrnes can be seen as kindred spirits - owing to the similarities in their early childhood experiences. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two characters' similarities facilitate the plot's development and move the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Moby's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Moby's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Moby escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to harm Moby. What is the motivation in each of these situations to harm Moby?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)