|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brittain confronts Moby about the 100's set in CAT, why does Moby tell Brittain that Brittain had a free ride for the first 97 100's?
2. When questioned about creating the junior high newspaper, what did the narrator do?
3. What is the name of the narrator's English teacher?
4. As Sarah Byrnes' visitor is leaving in Chapter 6, what does her visitor ask Moby?
5. According to Sarah Byrnes, why did she come to the mental hospital faking her break?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the bumper sticker on Ellerby's car, what are the wages of sin?
2. How does Ellerby react at the "special" Saturday practice when Brittain and his lane members bow for prayer before beginning their set?
3. According to what the narrator's hospitalized friend told him, why were her burns never surgically corrected?
4. What is nearly impossible for Moby to admit to other people?
5. Name Mark Brittain's three brothers and one sister.
6. Which of Moby's dysfunctional behaviors does his mother hate the most?
7. Before visiting his friend in the hospital, how long had it been since the narrator had been on the psychiatric unit and why had he been there?
8. As the story opens, how does the narrator describe his father?
9. According to Moby, why were he and Sarah Byrnes able to produce such a high-quality publication in junior high school when they published "Crispy Pork Rinds"?
10. When Moby returns to his desk after Jody and Mark decide to remain in the CAT class, Moby finds a note waiting for him. Who is the note from and what does it say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ellerby's father with Mark Brittain's father.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves bullying.
a. Identify three characters that are bullies. For each character, describe an instance in which the character bullied someone else.
b. Why do these characters bully others?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not tried to bully the other person? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Mautz wears different masks in the story. Both a respected school vice-principal and a bully to his students, Mautz is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of Mr. Mautz. How would the entire plot have been affected if Mautz had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Matuz to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)