|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After "Crispy Pork Rinds" folded, how many hollow gumballs did Byrnes and Moby distribute to people who had "wronged" them?
2. According to Ms. Lemry during the abortion discussion, what is Ellerby prone to?
3. What is Ms. Lemry's overriding rule for discussions taking place in the CAT class?
4. What stroke is Ellerby's swimming specialty?
5. According to Jody and Moby's discussion, what isn't getting talked about in the CAT discussion of abortion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Back in junior high, what was the deal that Sarah Byrnes offered to Dale Thornton while they were in Moby's attic room?
2. Why does Ellerby sometimes threaten to give his Rottweiler to Moby?
3. What advice does the counselor give to the narrator when he first visits his friend at the hospital?
4. What reason does Mark Brittain give to Ms. Lemry as an explanation for why he and Jody want to drop the CAT class?
5. In the CAT class, why does Ms. Lemry decide that the class will spend several days discussing the topic of abortion?
6. What is nearly impossible for Moby to admit to other people?
7. When Moby returns to his desk after Jody and Mark decide to remain in the CAT class, Moby finds a note waiting for him. Who is the note from and what does it say?
8. According to his mother, what attribute does the narrator possess that his father did not?
9. According to the bumper sticker on Ellerby's car, what are the wages of sin?
10. Why does Moby not keep a journal - even though his mother has been encouraging him to do so since grade school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several situations where Moby's life is in danger.
a. Identify at least three instances where Moby's life is in danger. Describe the situation and how Moby escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the dangerous situations in which others are attempting to harm Moby. What is the motivation in each of these situations to harm Moby?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Mautz wears different masks in the story. Both a respected school vice-principal and a bully to his students, Mautz is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of Mr. Mautz. How would the entire plot have been affected if Mautz had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Matuz to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Mautz seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top - and in his powerful position at the school. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Matuz helped by his utter confidence? How is Mautz hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)