|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Moby and Ellerby first meet?
2. Who is NOT enrolled in Ms. Lemry's CAT class?
3. When Ellerby tried to run away after his brother was killed, where did Ellerby try to go?
4. According to Sarah Byrnes, why did she come to the mental hospital faking her break?
5. When the CAT discussion on abortion begins, who presents their views first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the surprise visitor to Moby's hospital room ask Moby to do?
2. According to Moby, why were he and Sarah Byrnes able to produce such a high-quality publication in junior high school when they published "Crispy Pork Rinds"?
3. After hearing what the man waiting for Moby and Ellerby tells them when the two boys are called to the office during their study hall, how does Ellerby respond to the man's words?
4. How does Ms. Lemry respond when Mark Brittain insists that everything is about Christianity?
5. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
6. As the story opens, how does the narrator describe his mother?
7. While Moby recovers in his hospital room, he feels pretty cocky when his mom and the police are around. How does Moby admit he feels when he is alone?
8. How does Ellerby react at the "special" Saturday practice when Brittain and his lane members bow for prayer before beginning their set?
9. According to Carver, how did Carver manipulate his way into a relationship with Moby's mother?
10. According to his mother, what attribute does the narrator possess that his father did not?
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Ellerby is greatly affected by the events the death of his brother. Discuss how his brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Ellerby's worldview, but also religious views and his relationships with the people around him. How do Ellerby's experiences affect his mental state, his ability to be objective with his community and his willingness to help Moby and Sarah Byrnes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Dale's character and how he evolves (or not) and what he symbolizes in the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Mautz seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top - and in his powerful position at the school. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Matuz helped by his utter confidence? How is Mautz hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 1,927 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)