|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Dale Thornton used to call Sarah Byrnes in junior high?
2. When Ellerby and Moby begin discussing Ellerby's relationship with his father, for how long have Moby and Ellerby known each other?
3. When Ms. Lemry asks for volunteers to present their subject for the CAT class presentation, who goes first?
4. When Sarah Byrnes finally begins to talk to Moby at the hospital, how long has it been since she was burned by her father?
5. About how many hours per day does the narrator practice his sport?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sarah Byrnes come back to school even though she knows her father will be looking for her?
2. According to Moby, why were he and Sarah Byrnes able to produce such a high-quality publication in junior high school when they published "Crispy Pork Rinds"?
3. What does the tattoo on Dale Thornton's forearm say?
4. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
5. How does the narrator describe his hospitalized friend without spirit in her eyes?
6. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
7. What does the surprise visitor to Moby's hospital room ask Moby to do?
8. As Brittain begins to lose it in the CAT class on the last day of their abortion discussion, what does Brittain tell Sarah Byrnes?
9. While Ellerby and Moby leave Brittain alone outside of the pool, what do they decide to do at practice to teach Brittain some humility?
10. Which of Moby's dysfunctional behaviors does his mother hate the most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Mark Brittain changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Mark's character when he is first introduced at swim practice, when he confronts Ellerby in CAT regarding the abortion issue, when he accuses Jody of lying and when he finally seeks Moby's advice about how to repair the damage he has done. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Moby and Mark Brittain.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Sarah Byrnes changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of her character when she is first introduced in the story, when she is caught faking her mental health break, when she searches for her mother, and when she is adopted at the end of the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,924 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)