|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Dale Thornton away from school after Mr. Mautz called Dale's father regarding the chewing tobacco?
2. When Ellerby is called on to present his ideas around the abortion issue, what does Ellerby change the discussion to?
3. When Ellerby and Moby begin discussing Ellerby's relationship with his father, how does Ellerby characterize the relationship?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 6 when Moby goes to visit Sarah Byrnes, who is already with her when Moby arrives?
5. Who is the narrator going to the hospital to visit after finishing practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before visiting his friend in the hospital, how long had it been since the narrator had been on the psychiatric unit and why had he been there?
2. Why does Moby not keep a journal - even though his mother has been encouraging him to do so since grade school?
3. What does the tattoo on Dale Thornton's forearm say?
4. According to Moby, why were he and Sarah Byrnes able to produce such a high-quality publication in junior high school when they published "Crispy Pork Rinds"?
5. According to what the narrator's hospitalized friend told him, why were her burns never surgically corrected?
6. Who is Huey-Dewey?
7. As the story opens, how does the narrator describe his father?
8. What reason does Mark Brittain give to Ms. Lemry as an explanation for why he and Jody want to drop the CAT class?
9. Describe the only time that Moby's mother had ever laid a hand on her son.
10. Why does Ms. Lemry say she'll sign Mark's drop card, but refuse to sign Jody's drop card?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Moby is involved with two very different girls. Compare and contrast the relationship Moby has with Sarah Byrnes and the relationship Moby has with Jody Mueller. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Moby, but also the other people that are in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main desires of Mr. Byrnes. What does he hope to gain by abusing his daughter and harming Moby? For each desire, tell Mr. Byrnes' reasoning behind the desire and what he ultimately hoped to accomplish through his actions.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)