Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody asks Moby to meet her after he finishes swim practice, where do they agree to meet?
2. What is the name of the counselor that introduces herself to the narrator?
3. What is the name of the narrator's English teacher?
4. About how many hours per day does the narrator practice his sport?
5. According to Sarah Byrnes, why did she come to the mental hospital faking her break?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ms. Lemry say she'll sign Mark's drop card, but refuse to sign Jody's drop card?
2. When Moby returns to his desk after Jody and Mark decide to remain in the CAT class, Moby finds a note waiting for him. Who is the note from and what does it say?
3. What does the tattoo on Dale Thornton's forearm say?
4. How does Moby describe his high school principal?
5. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
6. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
7. What does the surprise visitor to Moby's hospital room ask Moby to do?
8. Why is Sarah Byrnes trying to find her mother?
9. According to his mother, what attribute does the narrator possess that his father did not?
10. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
Mr. Mautz seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top - and in his powerful position at the school. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Matuz helped by his utter confidence? How is Mautz hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
One of the main themes is this novel involves bullying.
a. Identify three characters that are bullies. For each character, describe an instance in which the character bullied someone else.
b. Why do these characters bully others?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not tried to bully the other person? Explain your answer.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)