|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ellerby is called on to present his ideas around the abortion issue, what does Ellerby change the discussion to?
2. What is the name of Moby's mother's new boyfriend?
3. What is Mr. Ellerby's occupation?
4. Who is NOT enrolled in Ms. Lemry's CAT class?
5. How many total swimmers (boys and girls) are on the school's swim team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the only time that Moby's mother had ever laid a hand on her son.
2. According to his mother, what attribute does the narrator possess that his father did not?
3. What is the main reason that Moby does not let people get close to him?
4. According to the bumper sticker on Ellerby's car, what are the wages of sin?
5. In the CAT class, why does Ms. Lemry decide that the class will spend several days discussing the topic of abortion?
6. What advice does the counselor give to the narrator when he first visits his friend at the hospital?
7. When Moby returns to his desk after Jody and Mark decide to remain in the CAT class, Moby finds a note waiting for him. Who is the note from and what does it say?
8. Why does Ellerby sometimes threaten to give his Rottweiler to Moby?
9. Why does Moby not keep a journal - even though his mother has been encouraging him to do so since grade school?
10. What does the tattoo on Dale Thornton's forearm say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crutcher uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Mautz seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top - and in his powerful position at the school. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Matuz helped by his utter confidence? How is Mautz hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character and the determination of Moby to set things right?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)