|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these students did NOT picket outside the town's abortion clinic?
2. What is the name of the eighth grader who bullied both the narrator and his hospitalized friend while they were in junior high?
3. According to Jody and Moby's discussion, what isn't getting talked about in the CAT discussion of abortion?
4. When Dale Thornton first became involved in "Crispy Pork Rinds," who did Dale suggest has the subject for his first article?
5. When Ellerby tried to run away after his brother was killed, how many blocks did Ellerby get before getting picked up by the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does the counselor give to the narrator when he first visits his friend at the hospital?
2. According to the bumper sticker on Ellerby's car, what are the wages of sin?
3. In the CAT class, why does Ms. Lemry decide that the class will spend several days discussing the topic of abortion?
4. Why does Ms. Lemry say she'll sign Mark's drop card, but refuse to sign Jody's drop card?
5. Why does the narrator's English teacher call him Double-E?
6. What is the deal regarding musical equipment that Moby and his mother have?
7. What is nearly impossible for Moby to admit to other people?
8. As the story opens, how does the narrator describe his mother?
9. When Moby returns to his desk after Jody and Mark decide to remain in the CAT class, Moby finds a note waiting for him. Who is the note from and what does it say?
10. Back in junior high, what was the deal that Sarah Byrnes offered to Dale Thornton while they were in Moby's attic room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Ellerby's father with Mark Brittain's father.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Mautz wears different masks in the story. Both a respected school vice-principal and a bully to his students, Mautz is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of Mr. Mautz. How would the entire plot have been affected if Mautz had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Matuz to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Moby is involved with two very different girls. Compare and contrast the relationship Moby has with Sarah Byrnes and the relationship Moby has with Jody Mueller. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Moby, but also the other people that are in his life?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)