Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody asks Moby to meet her after he finishes swim practice, where do they agree to meet?
2. What is the name of the counselor that introduces herself to the narrator?
3. What is the name of the narrator's English teacher?
4. About how many hours per day does the narrator practice his sport?
5. According to Sarah Byrnes, why did she come to the mental hospital faking her break?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ms. Lemry say she'll sign Mark's drop card, but refuse to sign Jody's drop card?
2. When Moby returns to his desk after Jody and Mark decide to remain in the CAT class, Moby finds a note waiting for him. Who is the note from and what does it say?
3. What does the tattoo on Dale Thornton's forearm say?
4. How does Moby describe his high school principal?
5. When Jody asked Mark about the church's stand on abortion before she had hers, how did Mark answer her?
6. As Moby retreats to his bedroom to do some thinking about Sarah Byrnes and Jody Mueller, why does Moby admit that he's scared to death to start anything up with Jody?
7. What does the surprise visitor to Moby's hospital room ask Moby to do?
8. Why is Sarah Byrnes trying to find her mother?
9. According to his mother, what attribute does the narrator possess that his father did not?
10. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Mautz wears different masks in the story. Both a respected school vice-principal and a bully to his students, Mautz is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides/personas of Mr. Mautz. How would the entire plot have been affected if Mautz had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Matuz to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled, "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character and the determination of Moby to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties and agendas of the following people in the story: Dale Thornton, Ms. Lemry, Mr. Mautz, Jody Mueller and Mark Brittain.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)