|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After sharing her painful story with Moby, what does Sarah Byrnes do?
(a) Starts to cry.
(b) Tell the nurses the truth.
(c) Swears Moby to secrecy.
(d) Runs away.
2. Why did Sarah Byrnes crash into her dad the night she was burned?
(a) She was trying to save her mom.
(b) She was trying to save herself.
(c) She was trying to escape.
(d) She was trying to save her sister.
3. According to the "expose" on Mautz's illegitimate son for "Crispy Pork Rinds", how long did Mautz's son's illicit affair last?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Eight months.
(d) Eighteen months.
4. After doing 92 of the 100's, how many swimmers are left?
5. When Moby is eavesdropping as Mark tries to drop CAT, what does Moby liken Mark's memory to?
(a) A fax machine.
(b) A copier.
(c) A photograph.
(d) A telephone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the story opens, what is the only thing that the narrator has from his father?
2. Why did Sarah Byrnes refuse to write an expose on the person Dale suggested for his first article?
3. What nickname did Dale Thornton used to call Sarah Byrnes in junior high?
4. What is the new position that Moby's junior high principal now holds at the high school?
5. When Ellerby and Moby begin discussing Ellerby's relationship with his father, how does Ellerby characterize the relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before visiting his friend in the hospital, how long had it been since the narrator had been on the psychiatric unit and why had he been there?
2. Why does Moby not tell the police about Virgil's threats?
3. As the story opens, how does the narrator describe his father?
4. What is nearly impossible for Moby to admit to other people?
5. Back in junior high, what was the deal that Sarah Byrnes offered to Dale Thornton while they were in Moby's attic room?
6. When Moby and Sarah Byrnes go for a walk, they are watched by her father. How do they communicate since Sarah Byrnes can't be seen talking?
7. When Moby goes looking for someone to talk to about the possibility of dating Jody Mueller, why does the person he finds consider folding towels to be therapy?
8. What advice does the counselor give to the narrator when he first visits his friend at the hospital?
9. What is the main reason that Moby does not let people get close to him?
10. According to his mother, what attribute does the narrator possess that his father did not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)