|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the tribe do when it goes deep into the jungle?
2. Where does Marina go with Alan and Nancy Saturn?
3. What does Marina think Swenson is implying when talking about Anders?
4. Who does Barbara see running towards her on their trip to the Lakashi?
5. What does Swenson want of Marina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marina meet at the docks the next morning and where does he take her?
2. What does the tribe do occasionally when they go into the deep jungle and what does Swenson say about it?
3. Why does Marina go into the jungle every day and what does she wonder about her doing so?
4. How does Marina feels as the boat pulls up to the dock where the Lakashi are and how do they greet the arrivals?
5. How does Marina realize Swenson is nearly seventy?
6. What happens during the siesta that makes Swenson dump Marina on the deck?
7. What does Easter do that upsets Marina and how does Swenson react?
8. What shocks Marina one day as the boat from Manaus arrives, and how does she feel about it?
9. What does Marina find in her quarters?
10. What is said about Dr. Rapp during the boat trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Marina and Dr. Swenson. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Anders and Jim Fox. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in State of Wonder help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss State of Wonder based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if State of Wonder is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider State of Wonder a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes State of Wonder interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Marina. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dr. Swenson. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Jim Fox. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)