|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marina left behind as Dr. Swenson and the others start to walk?
2. Who runs into Barbara's arms outside the opera house?
3. What does Marina do over the next few days?
4. How does Marina feel in Manaus?
5. What is something Marina admits to herself about the GPS phone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a synopsis of the conversation between Karen Eckman and Marina that night?
2. What does Milton say to Marina about the Bovenders?
3. How does Milton inadvertently prove the Bovenders to be lying to Marina?
4. What does Marina think of Swenson's apartment and why does the doctor maintain it?
5. What does Marina begin taking in preparation for travel to Brazil and what does Karen remember in relation to Lariam?
6. What did Mr. Fox explain to Marina about the Lakashi women?
7. Who else shops at the store where Milton takes Marina and what does Marina wonder about the other foreigners?
8. What do the Bovenders argue concerning Swenson and Vogel?
9. What is Marina and Fox's relationship like and how does he act when he comes to her house the night before she leaves?
10. Who is Milton and how does he help Marina when she lands in Manaus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss State of Wonder based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if State of Wonder is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider State of Wonder a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think State of Wonder is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in State of Wonder. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Patchett chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Patchett chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Patchett's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Patchett use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)