|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marina go before leaving the States?
2. Who is Anders Eckman?
3. Who is involved with the Lakashi tribe?
4. Where do Marina and Mr. Fox go?
5. How many children does Anders have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marina feel about the river?
2. Why did Marina quit her OB-GYN residency program?
3. What does Marina tell Fox when she calls him the night after the opera and what is his reply?
4. How does Milton inadvertently prove the Bovenders to be lying to Marina?
5. Who is Milton and how does he help Marina when she lands in Manaus?
6. Who are the Bovenders and where does Marina encounter them?
7. How does Easter seem when he sees Marina and why did Milton bring Easter along?
8. Who else shops at the store where Milton takes Marina and what does Marina wonder about the other foreigners?
9. Describe the conversation at the cafe between Marina and Dr. Swenson about Anders.
10. Give a synopsis of the conversation between Karen Eckman and Marina that night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in State of Wonder. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Patchett chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Patchett chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Patchett's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Patchett use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes State of Wonder interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Marina. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dr. Swenson. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Jim Fox. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)