|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marina get a dress for the opera?
2. Where does Marina go before leaving the States?
3. Why does Marina go to Rodrigo's store?
4. What is something Marina admits to herself about the GPS phone?
5. What does Fox mimic doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Swenson react when she realizes Marina intends to come to the jungle with her?
2. What does Milton say to Marina about the Bovenders?
3. What did Mr. Fox explain to Marina about the Lakashi women?
4. Who is Milton and how does he help Marina when she lands in Manaus?
5. Who is Mr. Fox and how does he react to the news about Anders Eckman?
6. Who else shops at the store where Milton takes Marina and what does Marina wonder about the other foreigners?
7. What does Marina tell Fox when she calls him the night after the opera and what is his reply?
8. What do Marina and the Bovenders discuss concerning Anders Eckman?
9. Give a synopsis of the conversation between Karen Eckman and Marina that night?
10. Describe Marina's parents.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marina finds the courage to explain about Anders death. Mr. Fox, unable to deal with the emotional situation, says little, although he does comfort Karen. The two leave, and Marina, quite upset that she was forced to tell Karen instead of Fox, asks to be taken back to her car.
1. Why do you think Mr. Fox made Marina tell Karen about Anders death when he was Anders boss? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. Do you think Marina was right to get angry at Mr. Fox for not doing his job? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Discuss what you would do if you had to tell someone their spouse was dead. Use examples from the story and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of State of Wonder and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why State of Wonder is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in State of Wonder.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of State of Wonder. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of State of Wonder. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)