|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fox manipulate Marina into doing?
2. Who is involved with the Lakashi tribe?
3. What do the Lakashi women eat?
4. Who does Marina call when she arrives at her hotel?
5. Who/What do the Bovenders say has no right to interfere with Dr. Swenson's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marina go into the river and how does she feel about it?
2. Who is Anders Eckman and what does Marina just learn about him?
3. Who are the Bovenders and where does Marina encounter them?
4. What does Fox explain about Dr. Swenson?
5. Who else shops at the store where Milton takes Marina and what does Marina wonder about the other foreigners?
6. What does Marina think of Swenson's apartment and why does the doctor maintain it?
7. What do the Bovenders argue concerning Swenson and Vogel?
8. What did Mr. Fox explain to Marina about the Lakashi women?
9. How does Dr. Swenson react when she realizes Marina intends to come to the jungle with her?
10. What does Karen say to Marina when Marina stops by to say goodbye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes State of Wonder interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Marina. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Dr. Swenson. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Jim Fox. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Marina finds the courage to explain about Anders death. Mr. Fox, unable to deal with the emotional situation, says little, although he does comfort Karen. The two leave, and Marina, quite upset that she was forced to tell Karen instead of Fox, asks to be taken back to her car.
1. Why do you think Mr. Fox made Marina tell Karen about Anders death when he was Anders boss? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
2. Do you think Marina was right to get angry at Mr. Fox for not doing his job? Why or why not? Use examples from the story to support your answer.
3. Discuss what you would do if you had to tell someone their spouse was dead. Use examples from the story and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of State of Wonder, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in State of Wonder. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)