|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the ship been closed down?
2. What kind of shelter does Tom have on the volcanic island?
3. What kind of creature is Boult?
4. What does Tom consult about the war before talking to Gillian?
5. Who does Tom miss as the storm gets stronger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Uplift?
2. What is Metz trying to hide from the Captain?
3. Why does Krat kill a librarian?
4. What brings Tom out of his trance after the crash?
5. Why does Creideiki accept Tom's risky plan for escape?
6. What keeps Creideiki focused on the task at hand?
7. What do the Xappish officers discuss in Chapter 20?
8. What does Metz know about the Bosun that most others do not?
9. Why does Creideiki doubt the worth of Uplift?
10. How does Hikahi calm others during the first psi-attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage and fear are two very important themes that overlap in this book many times. What are some examples of these themes, and how do these examples affect the progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think was the most important motivating factor in this book, and why? Please substantiate your idea with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How did Gillian and Tom's relationship change over the course of this book, and what were the major causes of these changes?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)